How do we fix the problem?

One of the few things I agree with you. We currently have some of the "best" and "highest ranked" players in the country...with more on the way.

I could go on ALL DAY about my opinion on this and why it is the demise of the LV program. The LV program was built on and still tries to compete with the philosophy that if we have the BEST player and BEST athletes we can put them on the floor and have them PLAY HARD and they can beat all the "inferior" players we face. It doesn't work anymore. There are too many good players out there and rankings are way too misleading to actually know who is best.

Until the LVs have a "system", an "offensive scheme", or whatever you care to call it.....then recruit the players that can fill the necessary rolls of that plan....we keep getting what we got.

We have a bad coach, and one result of having a bad coach is that we have a bad offensive system (and have for years). But the coaching issue encompasses lots more than just the offense--it encompasses everything: fundamentals, decision-making, motivation levels, in-game tactics...the whole enchilada.

Reactions: 1 person
Clearly, there are a multitude of problems and some of them can't be fixed this year. Finding out what's wrong with Jaime Nared would be a start. She's 3-19 from the floor for the past two games and has only scored in double digits once in the last four games-- and that was largely FTs. Without Nared's production, the LVs lose. She sat almost the whole first half last night and didn't make a single basket in the second half. Is she hurt... tired... mad... losing confidence... what? Helping her would help the team.

I like many other poster are growing increasingly tired of the product I am seeing put on the floor game in and game out.

It is hard to find out what truly is the issue but there is certainly issues troubling this team. I am in no way going to make this a trash Holly post. As a person who has coached Rec ball, at the AAU level and been an assistant at the High School level I am very aware of what it takes to build and maintain a successful program. Of course I haven't done it at the Collegiate Level, but basketball is basketball.

Over the years it seems as though some of the UT players and coaches feel entitled. It seems as though they feel like things are suppose to be given to them because they are playing on and for this storied program.

The Lady Vols program has always had standards and to allow those standards to decimate is troubling on all parties involved.

It is not too late to right the ship for all involved but simply waiting until next year (when the #1 recruiting class arrives) isn't going to cut it.

A return to glory (our tradition) needs to happen now.

I am offering some solutions;

1. Play those who show that they are willing to leave it all on the floor.

There are too many times where players are rewarded playing time simply because (we have a short bench) but to send a message you play who's going to give you what you are asking for as a coach. I don't care if it is one of your stars, if they aren't playing like you demand of them they sit. (Geno does it all the time and doesn't care if him sending a message causes him a lost he knows what is best for his team moving forward)

If I can get more out of Nunn or Harris than I can get out of Russell (rebounding and defensively) then they are going to cut into her (Russell) minutes and the same goes for other players. No one should feel that they are entitled anything, they should know that they always have to work hard or they will sit.

2. Take the name off the Jersey's

They need to understand who they are playing for and who they represent. Yes they are representing their families name but for four years they are part of the Lady Vols family and that should be their priority.

3. Decide on how you want them to play

Holly contradicts herself because one minute she says she wants them to get Russell her touches and everything goes through her and then she says she needs Reynolds to push the ball and she wants them to attack.

If we are attacking then Russell isn't getting her touches. Which is why I would like to see Russell and Nunn play about the same amount of minutes to see who provides us with the best chance at that 5 spot.
The reason stated is she (Nunn) doesn't have to touch the ball or have the offense go through her to be successful. She is aggressive on the offensive glass which is where she gets her points. Playing Russell less and rewarding Nunn more would hopefully send a message to Russell that she needs to dominate or sit.

Any other suggestions?

Make Vic Schaefer an offer that he cannot refuse. I am serious as an heart attack!

3. Decide on how you want them to play

Holly contradicts herself because one minute she says she wants them to get Russell her touches and everything goes through her and then she says she needs Reynolds to push the ball and she wants them to attack...

It's not "either", "or". You push the ball and attack the basket but if that doesn't get a score, pull the ball back out and go thru Russell. That's what she's saying.

But Reynolds can't get to the rim, the guards are very sloppy at feeding Russell, and Russell if not fed the ball perfectly will fumble it or lose her balance and miss the shot.

It's not "either", "or". You push the ball and attack the basket but if that doesn't get a score, pull the ball back out and go thru Russell. That's what she's saying.

But Reynolds can't get to the rim, the guards are very sloppy at feeding Russell, and Russell if not fed the ball perfectly will fumble it or lose her balance and miss the shot.

Reynolds CAN get to the rim. With her size and physical attributes, she should be able to get there whenever she wants. It seems she chooses not to, and is more content to just pass the ball inside to MR. That's fine when MR is open, but she never adjusts her game to what the defense is showing her, and never takes the initiative to attack the basket unless she's running a fast break.

I think the team is starting to look worn out, and it's probably at the worst time of the season for that.

Reynolds CAN get to the rim. With her size and physical attributes, she should be able to get there whenever she wants. It seems she chooses not to, and is more content to just pass the ball inside to MR. That's fine when MR is open, but she never adjusts her game to what the defense is showing her, and never takes the initiative to attack the basket unless she's running a fast break.

I think the team is starting to look worn out, and it's probably at the worst time of the season for that.

I cannot recall seeing JR one single time get to the rim for a layup. I'm sure it's happened sometime in 4 years but when? How many times? 5? 8?

Not arguing with you, just befuddled at the amount of time she spends dribbling the ball at the top of the key doing nothing.

Reactions: 2 people
I cannot recall seeing JR one single time get to the rim for a layup. I'm sure it's happened sometime in 4 years but when? How many times? 5? 8?

Not arguing with you, just befuddled at the amount of time she spends dribbling the ball at the top of the key doing nothing.

You see her do it when it's absolutely needed, like at the end of close-ish games when they need to score quickly and foul. Carter was the same way. They both would spend 38 minutes dribbling the ball through the floor, then all of a sudden pick it up with 2 minutes left and the game a long shot at best.

It's frustrating because we see the capability from time to time, but for whatever reason, they don't do it enough during the games and instead are content to ride MR, DD and JN like mules for 40 minutes a game.

And also commenting on the style of the coach up north, if player plays 3 good games and is screwing up in the 4th game, he will never say "this player i will not get on her case because she has been doing well lately".... he will point out the problem to the player.... otherwise how will she get better.... I wish Holly did not settle for whatever her players give her, and demanded more of them.... how are they going to get better otherwise....

Years ago when my son was playing ball I watched as he had a streak over two games of 15 consecutive made baskets. His 16th attempt was an open layup and he short-armed it. At the timeout that ensued the coach gave him an earful. I laughed out loud. When I asked my son about it after the game he didn't complain. "Coach was right. No excuse. I should have made that one." I was proud of my son that night, and appreciative of his coach.

Immediate improvement in rebounding no time to waste already 26 games gone and we still can't rebound the ball on misses. If we could improve in this one category we'd win the next two games easy and even have a shot at Miss St.

pink-slip.jpg

Reactions: 4 people
Yep, there is always next year. Oh wait holly will still be the coach and probably the same staff. Just wait till those new freshmen get some experience, rightttttt.

Immediate improvement in rebounding no time to waste already 26 games gone and we still can't rebound the ball on misses. If we could improve in this one category we'd win the next two games easy and even have a shot at Miss St.

Lack of rebounding and missed layups cost us several games this year. As pat used to say rebounding is about desire.

Yep, there is always next year. Oh wait holly will still be the coach and probably the same staff. Just wait till those new freshmen get some experience, rightttttt.

Im not a big women's basketball watcher, I just visited this forum to see what was going on with the LV. Reminds me alot of the football forum, everybody wants to fire someone and they think that will solve all problems. You never hear anyone mention names to replace these coaches that would be "slam dunk" hires that could automatically impact the win column, hold together the #1 recruiting class and get the LV program back to prominence. I do think the LV program would be easier to bring a big name coach in over the football teams struggle to do so (although I support CBJ effort so far).

Lack of rebounding and missed layups cost us several games this year. As pat used to say rebounding is about desire.

During the last game, I watched Russell many times take off down the court, expecting someone else to rebound. I think, commit everyone on Defense to rebound. That would probably take away from fast break points, but there wouldn't be as many offensive rebounds for teams like Alabama, who we should beat every time we play them. Go Lady Vols!

Reactions: 2 people
The AD is not firing holly ppl her body of work is too hard to ignore and there not going to come in the first two years and fire anyone at least. Also, I believe there is not one leader on the floor consistently and the pieces of this group don't fit and we lack chemistry

Seems to me that the players have lost confidence in the system, whatever that is. And in the absence of confidence, doubt soon takes over.

What, exactly, gives players confidence?
And who is responsible for instilling that confidence?

The answers are there.

Players need confidence in each other. But to have that, the coach needs to cultivate an atmosphere of confidence.

But when your coach is too preoccupied with making excuses, so will players. The five on the floor are too busy trying to make a splash play to swing momentum rather than following an organized approach. Hence, the looks of panic and confusion they give each other when a lesser talented team beats them on plays.

For these players to reach their full potential, they have to follow confident leadership. And I hate to say it, but I cannot see that in Holly Warlick. Great assistant following Pat's lead, but there is some elusive trait her mentor had that does not seem to be in her DNA.

JR HAS gotten to the rim a few times but missed the layup.

VN Store

Back