How are the experts picking OSU?

I think he is just saying that they have had a short bench all season and it hasn't stopped them from winning the Big Ten... I doubt we can really wear them out because I'm sure every team has tried that this season

I realize what he was trying to say but I just thought it was kind of odd to say, unequivocally, that something does not matter, then follow it up with an example of when it does, in fact, matter.

You will not wear down the Buckeyes. They will lose because of foul trouble, getting into the bench where there is a big differential in talent between the starters and the bench. Just a little over a week ago, OSU played for the third straight day in the Big 10 tourney championship and won 90-61 over Minnesota.

Replying to VolFanNashville > I assume you are being sarcastic. OSU is certainly no better than either Kansas or Kentucky.

While i understand what you guys are saying about foul trouble, i don't know why you assume that it will all of a sudden happen in this game, when it really hasn't been much of a problem the entire year.

I will be the first to come back here and say i was wrong if it does, but it really hasn't been an issue all year, at least not horrendously so. They've had the same amount of foul trouble that any team does.

The team is in shape, they're young kids who have been playing that way all year long, they can certainly handle it, and i don't think that will play into it at all.

Yes, if they get in foul trouble, they are in trouble, but like i said, it hasn't been a problem all year, so i wouldn't necessarily count on it happening in this game either.

Why all of a sudden do they get in foul trouble in this game, and not all the others they've played this year?

They've continually dispelled this myth throughout the year that, because they have a short bench, they will get in foul trouble and get tired.

Tenn. has a great chance to win this game, but not because of tired legs or foul trouble, IMO.

While I think it won't be a huge deal - there is a reason why 99% of teams/coaches want a rotation of more than 6 players - it's not likely you'll be giving 100% effort the whole time if you're having to 38-40 minutes a game. Just doesn't happen.

Ohio State's athletes aren't just so much better conditioned than the rest of the country or some super special breed of athlete. They've obviously done it very well this year - and the good has out weighed the bad due to talent and good coaching - but it's pretty dumb to think that the only negative is foul trouble.

I think both coachs are concerned. Somewhere we are missing something. This is probably the most even matched game of the sweet 16. Experts are not ranting and raving about OSU as much as we think. I really think they do not want to touch this game because they have no clue what kinks the coaches will put into. When given time CBP is the best at preparing for the Big Game. He has proven that over the last 4 seasons with wins and upsets. I give him the edge. If they execute we will win. Experts know this intanigible and are not willing to go out on a limb for Tennessee until it happens.
This weekend will be about defending the 3 point shot against OSU and potentially NIU. Knowing CBP there will be another wrinkle thrown in somewhere.
I know I am missing something about OSU but feel the experts are missing something about Tennessee or just refusing to address it.

It will be intense and I believe when looking at the OSU losses it resulted from more of an up tempo game.

Last edited:
I just don't see conditioning, not going deep, as an issue.

The foul trouble, i agree, if it happens, which has been rarely this year, then yea, they are in trouble.

But the way they've finished games against teams with "deeper" benches leads me to believe that it is pretty much a wash, regardless of how many the other team plays.

Of course they aren't some "super" breed of athlete, but their talent and conditioning certainly negates whatever "fresh legs" the less-talented players coming off the bench for the other team have.

I think the difference will be somewhere else entirely.

I thought their depth would be an issue, but after watching them perform in back-to-back-to-back games in the Big Ten tourney, I don't think it is. However, I do think when they play elite competition, it is enough of a weakness to matter. I believe it's why they lost at West Virginia. OSU had a big enough lead they should have won that game, but down the stretch I think their legs got tired, and they went cold shooting the ball.

Good point.

I guess, thinking about it, i won't deny that playing that much isn't necessarily a "good" thing.

But, it isn't a "terrible" thing either. Not ideal, but not a killer.

I would rather go deep, but considering the team we've got this year, it isn't as much of an issue as in years past.

Now, if we had a bigger lineup, i would definitely be more concerned about our bigs getting tired and not having anyone to replace them.

But, since we've adapted well to playing small, not as bad as it could be.

Any disadvantage we have is offset by playing their bench with our starters, IMO. Just how the team is built, and its not uncommon for bench minutes to shrink as the tournament progresses for most teams.

Edit: A good example of that is in the second Illinois game (I think...they all blur together lol), where McCamby was sat and instantly OSU went on a 12-0 run with him on the bench for a short amount of time. They had to completely change their defense and we just went off - totally changed the game.

Any disadvantage we have is offset by playing their bench with our starters, IMO. Just how the team is built, and its not uncommon for bench minutes to shrink as the tournament progresses for most teams.

Edit: A good example of that is in the second Illinois game (I think...they all blur together lol), where McCamby was sat and instantly OSU went on a 12-0 run with him on the bench for a short amount of time. They had to completely change their defense and we just went off - totally changed the game.

Only when you play teams with garbage coming off the bench - you won't find that in the sweet 16 - you find 3-4 bench guys that could very well be starting - but someone has to start.

It may not be a huge disadvantage - but they still can't give 100% effort 100% of the time playing 40 minutes per game compared to a guy playing 30. Not saying they'll wear down and become useless or a liability though.

I don't think it will be a big key to the game - just think it's amusing when anyone says it's either an advantage or it will have zero affect.

Last edited:
Only when you play teams with garbage coming off the bench - you won't find that in the sweet 16 - you find 3-4 bench guys that could very well be starting - but someone has to start.

It may not be a huge disadvantage - but they still can't give 100% effort 100% of the time playing 40 minutes per game compared to a guy playing 30. Not saying they'll wear down and become useless or a liability though.

I don't think it will be a big key to the game - just think it's amusing when anyone says it's either an advantage or it will have zero affect.

sometimes it defies logic

VN Store

Back