How a 16 team SEC might look

Hey if we are going to dream ... let's do 4 x 4.

Texas A&M
Arkansas
Missouri
LSU

Ole Miss
Miss State
Alabama
Auburn

Tenn
Vandy
Kentucky
Va Tech/UVa

Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
North Carolina

We play everyone in our group. Plus one fixed game from each of the other groups.
Plus one rotating game from the other groups.
9 game schedule.

Fire away... :^)

That's a good balance and keeps division teams fairly close to each other.

3 division games
3 rival games (Ark, AL, FL or GA)
3 games rotate playing divisions (SW, Plains, Coastal)

Every three years we play all 15 teams.

For example

Mountain Division: VT, KY, VD
Rival: Ark, AL, FL or GA
Balance of Rotating Division teams SW Mizzou, aTm, LSU or Plains: Aub, Ole Miss, MissST or Coastal: NC, SC, FL or GA non-rival.

3 non-conference: 1 cupcake, 1 group of 5 decent team, 1 marquee game.

If I had my wish list, we would boot Missouri and aTm, add Oklahoma and OSU (apparently OU won't come over without them) to the west, and add VA Tech and WVU in the east.

That would be cool but I don't think WV brings any money, TV markets or academics to the party.

Maybe we should bring in FLST, Miami and put them in a division with FL and GA.

We can bundle with KY, Vandy, and SCAR. That would make up for having to play AL every year.

AL, Aub, Ole Miss, MissST together and

LSU, aTm, Ark, Mizzou

We aren't moving the Third Saturday in October to November to accomodate nobody. The name says enough.
tenor.gif

Reactions: 1 person
Expansion has been beaten like a dead horse.

I am convinced that there will be a 16 team conference. I look for there to be 4 of them. The "big 5" is a problem to determine a 4 team playoff (or 8 or whatever). How it develops is up for pure speculation. I personally think a VA school and NC school make the most sense. Or to consolidate geography maybe FSU and Clemson. Who knows?

It really has. Ever since the hysteria that came from the events of 2010 and 2011, it's pretty much become a yearly go-to for sports writers trying to garner clicks and views during the more still summer segments of the off-season.

Despite the more recent performances of the two teams, though, the conference really hasn't held recent interest in the idea of FSU and/or Clemson. Aside from both UF and USCe likely standing in the way of either, the metric the conference seems to have been weighing market size (namely regional TV market size and the amount of TV money the addition would bring). Since they're both in states that the SEC already considers regional - having major programs already in each state - and that are already covered by the conference network's footprint, the two are a bit unlikely.

The ideal would probably be a major VA and NC program. Unfortunately, perhaps the most ideal (VT) was pretty publicly verbal about their lack of interest in SEC membership during each of the last two expansion rounds...not to mention some issue of ties to fellow school UVA, both due to state politics and that UVA was pretty much the ones that went to bat for getting VT out of the Big East with ACC membership in the first place, possibly making any VA leaving the other to stay in a potentially unstable or "dying" conference a bit messy.

And on the NC end, while UNC would likely be the ideal, they and Duke both seem to lack the actual interest in the conference (not to mention they'd also be moving away from a conference where they hold significant sway in conference matters due to the strong ties among the 4 NC schools). People like to suggest NC State as a "little brother wanting to get out of big brother's shadow" option, in a similar vein to how A&M was with Texas. However the problem there is more that - unlike A&M in its state - NC State is actually a part of the UNC school system...to the point that 7 or 8 of its 13 board members are actually selected and put there by UNC-Chapel Hill itself. It just doesn't seem lilkely that all those people placed on the board by UNC would ever vote for anything that would leave UNC in a position of seemingly less security or one of being left in a potentially "unstable" or now "crumbling" conference.

Disagree in 3 to 6 years, the Power 5 will downsize to Power 4.

SEC(14), Pac12, B1G(14), and ACC(14) will absorb Big 10 to make four 16 team super-conferences with 3 games to decide SEC Champs as well as other conference Champs. Two more games to decide National Champion.

I also expect the same thing to happen to the "Group of 5" conferences so they get a national champ as well and that will be good for teams like Air Force, East Carolina, Southern Miss and Utah State.

I expect SEC to get Oklahoma and either K-State or an ACC team from VA/NC like NCST or OKST. I wouldn't rule out a Miami or Baylor but I think it doesn't make sense from a TV rights standpoint.

Look, I'm not a fan of the Big 10 or its schools...but barring some major, unforeseen, extremely divisive internal strife among its members, it's currently about the second-to-least likely to fall apart of the major conferences.

Also with the current grant of rights situations among the conferences (namely those of the ACC and the Big 12 both lasting until 2025), you're likely not seeing any major conference expansion until then (another 7-8 years) unless some conference happens to internally make the very-strange decision to entirely dissolve itself prior to then.

The SEC would also likely never take a Kansas school unless it was somehow forced to do such by some higher power body. Their markets are so poor that in all honesty, were the Big 12 to actually ever dissolve, they would probably have to scramble and might very well be at risk of being left without a major conference home.

A&M should absolutely be in the conf. They are a great addition and have a great fan base. I agree with getting rid of mizzu. I would have rather seen WV or NC/VAtech.

We couldn't get either UNC or VT at the time this was all going on (UNC had little to no interest and VT went out of its way to squash even slight notions of their having any potential interest in this conference both in 2010 and 2011).

For both the reasons the conferences have been expanding along with others, WVU would not have been a good addition to the conference...at all. There's a reason they were turned down by both the SEC and the ACC.

That would be cool but I don't think WV brings any money, TV markets or academics to the party.

Maybe we should bring in FLST, Miami and put them in a division with FL and GA.

We can bundle with KY, Vandy, and SCAR. That would make up for having to play AL every year.

AL, Aub, Ole Miss, MissST together and

LSU, aTm, Ark, Mizzou

Tried to get Fla St and Miami in before USCe and Arky but they said no. Rumor was because SEC was too rough year in and year out.

Here is what will likely happen. When each member school is accustomed to getting "X" amount of money for t.v. revenue, then you add 16 teams still divide the money, then each member school will get less money.

"X" divided by 14 = "Z" by "X" divided by 16 = "Y"

So, to increase the t.v. revenue that each school gets, we will need to get more viewers.

If you add Clemson, you already have South Carolina area watching South Carolina.
If you add Louisville, you already have the Kentucky fans.
If you add a Texas school, you already have A & M.
If you add F.S.U., you already have the Florida fans.
If you add Georgia Tech, then the S.E.C. is already in that area.

So, we need to expand the S.E.C. in a large t.v. market.
Atlanta is already S.E.C. country. St. Louis is already S.E.C. Houston is already S.E.C.

So, we need to go to the Washington D.C. area, the New York area or the Los Angeles area for more t.v. revenue.

Syracuse, Virginia or U.C.L.A......

Or, you know, just the Charlotte or D.C. areas.

Also should probably note that Kansas City became SEC Country as well.

I would like it, but I can see reasons to oppose. The biggest to me is that it means the champion would play 11 SEC games in addition to, hopefully, two more college playoff games. Would make for a brutal schedule and injury concerns..and what if the national playoffs do expand?

Last edited:
A&M should absolutely be in the conf. They are a great addition and have a great fan base. I agree with getting rid of mizzu. I would have rather seen WV or NC/VAtech.

I thought that too, until I saw their yell leaders. At that point, I hoped they would jump to the Pac 12, Big 10 or somebody could resurrect the old southwest conference. I would rather have brought in Memphis, because you can't have too many tigers.

I thought there was a clause / agreement that the SEC would not expand into states that already had schools (ie adding Clemson, FSU, etc..).

Here's my take:

1. The Big 12 will implode soon. Only 10 schools and deciding not to expand into bigger markets last summer will be the eventual death of that league. While there weren't a lot of great choices expanding into large markets like Salt Lake, Denver, Cincinnati/Dayton or Tampa would have been huge for a league that has absolutely nothing outside of Dallas/FW and Houston.

2. I fully expect the SEC to go to 16 as well as the Big Ten. Kansas is likely for one of the Big 10 slots and I'd assume OU would be a legit factor for the other. If I were the SEC I would be extremely picky and first target NC State and VA Tech. If that doesnt work then maybe target Oklahoma / Oklahoma State. All those schools are much better fits than Missouri. We don't need anymore disastrous fits like them added to the league. I too wish there was a way the SEC could get rid of them, but it doesn't seem possible.

3. Stay far away from WVU. They bring NOTHING to the league positive. There is a reason the Big Ten and ACC both had no interest in them. Bad market, terrible academics. Just a horrible idea for SEC expansion.

Last edited:
I don't understand why the article is trying to split the SEC up into 4 divisions. That would take an extra week to play semi-final conference championship games. Just keeping 2 makes more sense to me

You guys talking about FSU, Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech and Louisville are wasting your breath or keystrokes. Florida, UGA, UK and USCJR would never allow it, plus it doesn't make any sense. This is about TV revenue and footprint, not adding quality football teams. The teams that are realistic are Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Virginia Tech, and NC State, and those are all pipe dreams. IMO Nc State has the same mentality as aTm did a few years ago when they were little brother to Texas. State is tired of being in the shadow of Duke and Carolina. To me, they would be the most willing to make a move, but the politics of it would make this highly unlikely.

You are in the minority with that opinion

I have no problem with forcing Georgia, Florida, and USCe to play Bammer the same amount of times as we do over a 4 or 8 year period. Plus who cares about OleMiss vs Candy and Kensucky vs Miss State as permanent cross division rival games?

So, we need to go to the Washington D.C. area, the New York area or the Los Angeles area for more t.v. revenue.

We have absolutely no idea how media markets will factor into the shaping of conference in 2025 given the incredible uncertainty with how we'll even be consuming games at that point; the footprint land grab obviously dictated this past round of expansion, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that the death knell of the Big 12 will be spur a poaching of teams based on the merits of their geographical locations.

It's absolutely possible that the SEC will add teams from within its current geographical footprint if and when the conference needs to expand, but I'm not convinced that the SEC itself expands this next cycle.

SEC screwed up a few yrs ago taking Mizzou over West Va. regionally it made sense and competitively it works. No one in St. Louis watches Mizzou football these days. Who are w kidding? Plus everyone in America would watch Cal and Ky vs HuggyBear and Press Virginia. It would rival Duke and NC

VN Store

Back