House votes to decriminalize marijuana at federal level

I'm curious if this will now allow a person to legally use mj and buy/own a gun. A family member in fed law enforcement went down that rabbit hole for me not long ago and never could get a definitive answer from multiple people. Not a fight I'm willing to do right now in my life which kinda sucks

^^ The bigger question is will this force the DOT to take MJ off the testing schedule for commercial drivers?

Reactions: McDad
Still likely to have an issue with a post incident test right? Unless they come up with a different type of testing

Yep, and then there is the insurance industry. I can't phantom a day when the insurance carriers drop it from their no/no list.

We've seen a real uptick in prospective hires failing their preemployment drug screen, CDL drivers and non CDL holders. Probably 5-6 out of 10 have failed over the past year.

Reactions: McDad
Yep, and then there is the insurance industry. I can't phantom a day when the insurance carriers drop it from their no/no list.

We've seen a real uptick in prospective hires failing their preemployment drug screen, CDL drivers and non CDL holders. Probably 5-6 out of 10 have failed over the past year.
Are there any states that prohibit businesses from regulating that sort of thing? Meaning as long as there isn't an incident an employer is prohibited from saying "We don't care what's 'legal' if you test positive for X you're not employed here."?

Are there any states that prohibit businesses from regulating that sort of thing? Meaning as long as there isn't an incident an employer is prohibited from saying "We don't care what's 'legal' if you test positive for X you're not employed here."?

Not that I know of. I don't see how a state could do that especially in safety sensitive industries.

I'd get rid of the MJ testing for CDL drivers and non drivers if I could. Maybe one day there will be a test for MJ intoxication like the blood alcohol test, I don't see the feds or insurance ever relaxing their ban without one.

if i understand your question correctly, that was the standard in Colorado when legalization passed. I have a friend who owns a biz there and he could legally test employees for THC and terminate employment. No idea if it is still like that though.

Reactions: hndog609
Not that I know of. I don't see how a state could do that especially in safety sensitive industries.

I'd get rid of the MJ testing for CDL drivers and non drivers if I could. Maybe one day there will be a test for MJ intoxication like the blood alcohol test, I don't see the feds or insurance ever relaxing their ban without one.
Wasn't sure about the first part but agree on the second.

That has always been my biggest issue when there is a positive hit for MJ. Obviously it stays in you system for weeks even after the high has worn off.

Last edited:
I'm curious if this will now allow a person to legally use mj and buy/own a gun. A family member in fed law enforcement went down that rabbit hole for me not long ago and never could get a definitive answer from multiple people. Not a fight I'm willing to do right now in my life which kinda sucks
From what I understand, it would still be illegal. That would also have to be relooked at.

VN Store

Back