Hope We Really Got The Coaches

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
Not sure if this NIL topic has been discussed here. Anyway, I hope we got the type of coaches who can glue, staple, or rivet int the heads of OUR players to not get bitten by having NIL money, and not much sense as youths. Losing players by expulsion, severe injury, or worse because they don't understand or ignore that with loose money, and looser brains comes great responsibility to themselves, the UT, their parents, and their future. MSN

Reactions: Smokey19rt
If anything, NIL may help decrease off the field issues. Companies require the athletes to provide a positive image.

All the rumors about Banks and NIL came to fruition in 2022 prior to USCjr. He was upset over NIL but Heup warned him about perception.

With that said, hopefully the student athletes will think before making a poor decision.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
If anything, NIL may help decrease off the field issues. Companies require the athletes to provide a positive image.

All the rumors about Banks and NIL came to fruition in 2022 prior to USCjr. He was upset over NIL but Heup warned him about perception.

With that said, hopefully the student athletes will think before making a poor decision.
Doubt it. The incentive is for sure there but money opens so many gateways for poor decisions. JMO though.

Doubt it. The incentive is for sure there but money opens so many gateways for poor decisions. JMO though.

Money also opens gateways for more opportunities and abilities to make better decisions. I think it’s great these young athletes, who were exploited in the past, are finally getting a fair share from the massive income they generate.

Yes. Obviously they should be driving new chargers and signed with Bama. This crap has been happening for years. Glad to see some have finally pulled their heads out of the sand now that it’s legal for our team.
Agreed but, just a purist at heart about college students earning millions. Should have been a set fee for ALL student athletes. Best part of college sports is the kids being hungry. Wait, it was the college athletes being hungry

Money also opens gateways for more opportunities and abilities to make better decisions. I think it’s great these young athletes, who were exploited in the past, are finally getting a fair share from the massive income they generate.
Oh I completely agree. I would rather have opportunity for these players even if the risks of bad decisions are there. This kind of income can completely change a kids situation in the long run if they’re responsible with it.

Reactions: KoachKrab127
How many of the players are buying as compared to leasing these cars? I'd bet way more than 80% are leasing them. Still a big number, but more reasonable. Just my 2 cents....

Agreed but, just a purist at heart about college students earning millions. Should have been a set fee for ALL student athletes. Best part of college sports is the kids being hungry. Wait, it was the college athletes being hungry
I mean you’re still going to have idiots get distracted would’ve even without NIL. Maybe a little moreso now but Heupel has done a pretty good job identifying kids that don’t have as many off the field issues. Kids been getting paid for years to play though maybe not at the level they do now but still the goal for most of these kids is to get to the league.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL

I would be interested in taking a look at some of the contracts.

For instance, is there a clawback provision like for pro contracts in the situation where a player does something horrendous

Like say Nicos deal was an $8 million over 4 years with $4 million up front.

He's been here a year so he got basically $1 million in salary so far

Say news breaks tomorrow of investigation of him gambling on the Cheez It's bowl or whatever.

Can the sponsors then go after him to recoup the unrealized signing bonus?

I would be interested in taking a look at some of the contracts.

For instance, is there a clawback provision like for pro contracts in the situation where a player does something horrendous

Like say Nicos deal was an $8 million over 4 years with $4 million up front.

He's been here a year so he got basically $1 million in salary so far

Say news breaks tomorrow of investigation of him gambling on the Cheez It's bowl or whatever.

Can the sponsors then go after him to recoup the unrealized signing bonus?
Idk about all the particulars but I do know there are some appearances needed to fulfill certain parts.

Idk about all the particulars but I do know there are some appearances needed to fulfill certain parts.

Correct. I guess I was thinking something that wasn't exactly criminal but would bring the heat on a specific player by the NCAA.

The player wouldn't be in jail so could still make appearances. There almost has to be some sort of morality or turpitude clause in there somewhere. After all, a guy gets suspended for the season for drugs-the sponsors aren't gonna wanna pay the NIL for that year.

Correct. I guess I was thinking something that wasn't exactly criminal but would bring the heat on a specific player by the NCAA.

The player wouldn't be in jail so could still make appearances. There almost has to be some sort of morality or turpitude clause in there somewhere. After all, a guy gets suspended for the season for drugs-the sponsors aren't gonna wanna pay the NIL for that year.
I’m sure there is. You can’t do anything that incentivizes play for pay but I’m sure there’s some sort of clause in there if they do something insane to damage their image.

I'm waiting for one of these NILlionaires to say "I just opened a $xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx account that will be distributed to my brothers before me whose shoulders I stand on...Bro, is my crown too heavy?

Pretty sure its a used car and I would surmise its no different than the "loaner" vehicles people get from dealerships, but for the duration of his time at UT.

That being said 600+ hp and 0-60 in less than 4 seconds in a SUV sounds really fun, even if Mercedes has some of the worst exterior design in the auto industry nowadays.

Reactions: OptimusPrimerib
Yes. Obviously they should be driving new chargers and signed with Bama. This crap has been happening for years. Glad to see some have finally pulled their heads out of the sand now that it’s legal for our team.
So true. I remember watching a documentary about SMU and specifically about Eric Dickerson and his famous gold trans am. He says A&M reimbursed him for the car(grandma "officially" bought it and was in the title) and with a suitcase with 50k. He also affirmed this story in his memoir "Up in Smoke". Players have been getting $$ for a long time and this was 1978 $$.
By the way -if you notice,A&M bought him the car. He never went to A&M. He went to SMU. He said he sold the car to a teammate

So true. I remember watching a documentary about SMU and specifically about Eric Dickerson and his famous gold trans am. He says A&M reimbursed him for the car(grandma "officially" bought it and was in the title) and with a suitcase with 50k. He also affirmed this story in his memoir "Up in Smoke". Players have been getting $$ for a long time and this was 1978 $$.
By the way -if you notice,A&M bought him the car. He never went to A&M. He went to SMU. He said he sold the car to a teammate
Yep. That crap has been happening for at least the past 50 years. Problem really was before NIL at least recently the ncaa was selectively enforcing it as well. Imagine the NCAA going after Bama in the current day. NCAA enforcement became another barrier to fair play instead of protecting it.

Reactions: Jimmyandjoes
I mean you’re still going to have idiots get distracted would’ve even without NIL. Maybe a little moreso now but Heupel has done a pretty good job identifying kids that don’t have as many off the field issues. Kids been getting paid for years to play though maybe not at the level they do now but still the goal for most of these kids is to get to the league.

1711464281034.png

I would make the argument that having no money leaves people with no good choices. Saying someone shouldn’t be compensated because money can open the door to bad decisions is a terrible argument and very hypocritical. Money gives people opportunity that they wouldn’t have without it, both good and bad. What they do with their money after they earned it is up to them as they see fit.

Good for the players 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Here’s hoping they have smart people in their camp to help them with financial decisions after they splurge a bit 🤷🏻

ha: it's total bull$hit---utter nonsense. Anybody who sends money to a program so that it can lavish money on some 17-year-old who probably won't even become a good player has lost his or her freakin' mind. And even if there was a guarantee that the player would be good, it would be stupid and corrupt. Contributors need to find a few more things to do with their lives and their money. At the end of the day, it's college---the games aren't that important, though I realize that's a heretical statement in the south!

VN Store

Back