Home field confusion help???

Other_Guy

foolishFool
Ok so ESPN and CBS say that if Seattle loses again next week, San Fran can win out and gain home field.

How is this possible? Carolina just wrapped up their home season at 7-1. San Fran is already 5-2 and they said they not only have to lose tonight (even tho they already have a 2nd loss) but must lose next week... an AWAY game. Carolina already owns the head2head.

Then I realize the Saints could win next week, win the division with a Panthers lost, be the only NFL team go 8-0 at home and not get home field.

This is the 1st time I've ever been confused on this. What other criteria is taken into effect?

Ok so ESPN and CBS say that if Seattle loses again next week, San Fran can win out and gain home field.

How is this possible? Carolina just wrapped up their home season at 7-1. San Fran is already 5-2 and they said they not only have to lose tonight (even tho they already have a 2nd loss) but must lose next week... an AWAY game. Carolina already owns the head2head.

Then I realize the Saints could win next week, win the division with a Panthers lost, be the only NFL team go 8-0 at home and not get home field.

This is the 1st time I've ever been confused on this. What other criteria is taken into effect?

If SF wins and Seattle loses and Carolina wins. Niners will get a first round bye and home field 2nd round. Carolina will have home field throughout playoffs.

If SF wins and Seattle and Carolina loses, SF will get home field throughout playoffs.

If Seattle wins they get home field throughout playoffs.

If Seattle loses and San Fran wins next week, both finish 12-4 overall. The two teams split the season series but the 49ers would have a 5-1 record in division play whereas the Seahawks would finish 3-3 vs. NFC West opponents. I presume that would be the tie breaker that would give the 49ers the division title and send Seattle to wild card status. Carolina, however, beat the 49ers in head-to-head competition, so even if they finish with identical 12-4 records, I would think that Carolina would be the number one seed, and SF would be no. 2. In that case, Carolina should retain home field advantage in the event of a rematch with the 49ers.

Regular season home field record does not decide who gets home field. Head 2 head, common opponents, then division record in that order decide I believe.

Reactions: 1 person
Ok I thought it was straight up home record.

Stupid that the 49ers have a better4 shot at it despite losing more home games and already lost the head2head vs the Panthers tho.

Ok I thought it was straight up home record.

Stupid that the 49ers have a better4 shot at it despite losing more home games and already lost the head2head vs the Panthers tho.

How's it stupid? They would have the better overall record. That's a slam dunk case.

If you want to talk stupid playoff scenarios, Arizona has the best case. May sit at home at 11-5.

How's it stupid? They would have the better overall record. That's a slam dunk case.

No, I'm talking about even if the 49ers lost last night, having 3 that's right 3 home loses... they still would have to lose next week for Carolina to gain home field. The 49ers can only have a better record if they win and the Panthers lose this week. It makes no sense.

No, I'm talking about even if the 49ers lost last night, having 3 that's right 3 home loses... they still would have to lose next week for Carolina to gain home field. The 49ers can only have a better record if they win and the Panthers lose this week. It makes no sense.

uh no. This is completely false information. Going into last night San Fran had to win out to have any shot at home field throughout. If Seattle loses this weekend and Carolina wins, Carolina earns the #1 seed (and home field throughout) regardless of what San Fran does this weekend.

If Carolina and Seattle both lose, San Fran gets home field throughout.

If Seattle wins, Seattle is the #1 overall seed regardless of what Carolina and San Fran do.

If both San Fran and Carolina win this weekend, Carolina holds the tiebreaker over San Fran to be the higher seed, thus earning a first round bye. If Carolina loses, Carolina is still guaranteed a wild card slot.

NFC playoff scenarios for Week 17 | Audibles - SI.com

VN Store

Back