Holly's goal next yr..

UConn only has one freshman -- Dangerfield -- in the mix. Collier and Samuelson are sophomores.

I think DD leaves and Mercedes is 50-50. Even if they stay there's no guarantee of an SEC crown or Final Four. But there would certainly be improvement.

How many years in a row now have the Lady Vols been just "a year away"?

With DD and Mercedes and a couple other HS All Americans the team can't crack the Top 25. If they both stay next year will be better... if they don't...???

Remember North Carolina and the "greatest recruiting class of all time"? They never made a Final Four or won the ACC.

Enjoy the ride but keep the expectations reasonable, folks, and you might not be disappointed.

Weren't they together only for one year?

I think if Holly realistically .... gets to the "Elite 8" all will be fine in River City

You have seen the caliber of play that can be reached by this VERY team...They have beaten top ten teams already, , , , why would being one of the top 16-left be good enough?

I say this group when it plays at it's best is top 8 or better...That translates to a final four team.

The team is that good.

Warlick doesn't seem to know how to teach--as anyone EVER seen her giving instruction to a player who's just come off the floor? I also think she just doesn't have the personality and fundamental expertise to be a good coach. The proof is in the pudding--we had a bad regular season last year and have already lost 7 games this year.

Reactions: 4 people
Warlick doesn't seem to know how to teach--as anyone EVER seen her giving instruction to a player who's just come off the floor? I also think she just doesn't have the personality and fundamental expertise to be a good coach. The proof is in the pudding--we had a bad regular season last year and have already lost 7 games this year.

Having a person on the sidelines that can read and react properly to emotional outbursts or/and one that can teach skills for a team is indeed something that is needed in a team's coaching staff. But it doesn't necessarily have to be the head coach....Just as in business, often times a second tier manager is the "tough guy" for the employees, not the CEO.

But it IS the job of the head coach to fill that position.

Last edited:

I agree. Coaching is TEACHING and I don't see the level of engaged instruction from her. I understand not knowing it all. However, she must be willing to admit her shortcomings and work to improve them.

I'm not convinced she sees her shortcomings as I do.

I agree. Coaching is TEACHING and I don't see the level of engaged instruction from her. I understand not knowing it all. However, she must be willing to admit her shortcomings and work to improve them.

I'm not convinced she sees her shortcomings as I do.

All coaches have their "Achilles heel"s. We hate to acknowledge them because we see those flaws in ourselves as a weaknesses.

You have seen the caliber of play that can be reached by this VERY team...They have beaten top ten teams already, , , , why would being one of the top 16-left be good enough?

I say this group when it plays at it's best is top 8 or better...That translates to a final four team.

The team is that good.

You must be watching a different team than I am. They only perform when the matchup is favorable to them. A zone completely befuddles them until they see it again, and then it does it again. Sometimes they play with a mission, sometimes they don't. A good coach could make them better, period.

Reactions: 1 person

The team is that good.

CJ - It is not good enough for me at all.... I am saying what will be acceptable to the masses.

I have stated many times that there is nothing "elite" about making the "Elite 8" in WCBB. Of course we should be achieving past that point. But we do not. And we never have.

You know as a coach we need to achieve the fundamentals as players.... but we also do as a coaching staff.... we have gold to work with, and we should achieve more than we have.

CJ - It is not good enough for me at all.... I am saying what will be acceptable to the masses.

I have stated many times that there is nothing "elite" about making the "Elite 8" in WCBB. Of course we should be achieving past that point. But we do not. And we never have.

You know as a coach we need to achieve the fundamentals as players.... but we also do as a coaching staff.... we have gold to work with, and we should achieve more than we have.

UCONN has gold , in both aspect..... coaching and discipline players.
We are at this moment in time , bronze.
Even as fans, we lack giving Holly our patience. She's been dealt a
bad poker hand due to losing three players which depleted the team
causing a bench problem and players which seem to be reserving their energy for the final dance.
Her system is suffering big time from having certain pieces in place to operate her offense and defense. She did well coaching overseas
this summer , she's a good coach and showed what she can do when dealt a good hand. Holly isn't holding much and can only go so
far and the final four is not it.
But to keep in tune with the topic, she needs to keep her girl's healthy
And injury free and to keep MR and DD from leaving the deck.
If so , next year she will be playing with a Royal Flush.....
Hand down and unbeatable.
Be patience, we did the same for Pat until she got Parker and crew and wait some more until Bobbit and Bird.

Reactions: 2 people
causing a bench problem and players which seem to be reserving their energy for the final dance.
Her system is suffering big time from having certain pieces in place to operate her offense and defense. She did well coaching overseas
this summer , she's a good coach and showed what she can do when dealt a good hand. Holly isn't holding much and can only go so
Be patience, we did the same for Pat until she got Parker and crew and wait some more until Bobbit and Bird.

TN use to have that gold like Uconn.Like u said decipline players,but how do players get that? it's come from a great coach. Look at when pat was pat and the level they were? now I don't see any team at all close to Uconn level, inotherwas, Geno might win next 4 straight championship since top loaded teams are lazy to beat them. Wait till u see Uconn next yr.

UConn only has one freshman -- Dangerfield -- in the mix. Collier and Samuelson are sophomores.

I think DD leaves and Mercedes is 50-50. Even if they stay there's no guarantee of an SEC crown or Final Four. But there would certainly be improvement.

How many years in a row now have the Lady Vols been just "a year away"?

With DD and Mercedes and a couple other HS All Americans the team can't crack the Top 25. If they both stay next year will be better... if they don't...???

Remember North Carolina and the "greatest recruiting class of all time"? They never made a Final Four or won the ACC.

Enjoy the ride but keep the expectations reasonable, folks, and you might not be disappointed.

As long as Holly is there the Lady Vols will never win another championship off any kind.

Reactions: 1 person
You must be watching a different team than I am. They only perform when the matchup is favorable to them. A zone completely befuddles them until they see it again, and then it does it again. Sometimes they play with a mission, sometimes they don't. A good coach could make them better, period.

It kinda irks me too....Busting a zone can be done in two ways..Shooting from the outside and making them break it up to stop you. . . Or sending cutters through the mid-to-high paint to occupy or pass-through the gaps until the zone gets confused. On option two, your shots and drives are more make-able.

We only seem to be able to try to shoot our way out of it. Smart movement and motion can open a zone more easily than shooting , yet, that seems to be our only response to one.

Give me these girls in a summer workout program this next summer and UCONN can start worrying again.

It's better than playing for free & im sure she could make 6 figures over seas this year also. Not every day some one gets to be drafted number 1, I think that will sway her away.

There is no doubt in my mind Diamond would go first, especially in this years draft. I hope they both stay..the freshman would benefit greatly from the senior leadership both would provide.

There is no doubt in my mind Diamond would go first, especially in this years draft. I hope they both stay..the freshman would benefit greatly from the senior leadership both would provide.

DD has won championships on each level. I think Delino and Tisha might chime in on this decision.

If they were waiting on her to reach her level of potential at present age,,,she is pretty close to that now. ( I challenged her before the season ever started to play at this level.) and she has responded. She is considered the #1 overall pick right now. Playing consistently and staying level-headed on the court.

But if she leaves now, there will be a forever open spot on her "roster of accomplishments" No marquee run at the college level."

I know it means a ton to her to get a collegiate championship. This is why she is playing at the present level of her game. . . She has to make the same decision many marquee college football players have to make,,,One more season to help my Alma-mater try to get a Natty, or, the money? She doesn't really need the money, but she (and they) will have to believe it is a year of her life, not wasted on a pipe-dream.

Last edited:

This fan base has been 5 years patient so what you are saying is give her another 5 years of patience and hope there is some improvement.That indeed is a lot of patience .But I submit that no amount of patience will improve Holly's coaching ability ....if it is not demonstrated in five years imo there is no hope.

I still think the Lady Vols are the pick of the crop in the SEC. The only team close to us in recruiting is USC, and they are not bring in AA next year like we are. Once Vivians leaves MSU will be average again and the rest of the SEC will always just get one or maybe two top 100 players if that. Look for the LV to win the SEC again soon. I'm trying to be optimistic!

VN Store

Back