Holly still can't coach.

Phil Fulmer is a joke. He will not fire Holly. If he did he would not hire the best coach. He didn't hire the best football coach. He likes the lime light to well.

Absolutely. Despite Holly. Bless her heart. Our girls won on sheer talent. They deserve more. I am concerned we are losing the dynasty Pat created at her expense.

Yep, win the LVs win (which THEY DO A LOT), it has absolutely nothing to do with the Holly; it is just the players all by themselves figuring out what to do; and win the LVs lose it is all 100% Holly's fault.

What a nice balanced analysis.

Reactions: 7 people
Anyone that thinks she is what this program needs is absolutely nuts. Her teams are never good at the details and the wins they do get are on talent alone. The team is never “locked in”. They always make dumb mistakes, and the offense is garbage. Yes she’s not playing but she’s also not putting in a decent offense, or instilling the work ethic in these girls to get over making the same mistakes time and time again. I love all Tennessee sports and i loved Pat. Women’s basketball does matter and we deserve a better coach. No matter how many wins we get this year nobody feels like we’re competing for championships. With these players we should. I know the AD doesn’t want to bother with firing a women’s basketball coach. It’s different at UT though and we should be competing for national titles. It’s my first post in this forum but i had to let it out😜. VFL

Well, I hope you feel better now. I am so glad you started this thread. There have just been no other threads on this board where people expressed criticisms of Holly or called for her to be fired. Just nowhere so you had the bravery to boldly go where no others have gone and proclaim, "look at me, I have an opinion! FAHR Holly!_ This post is truly path breaking stuff, And the sheer originality of your viewpoint certainly warrants a separate post.

And your insights are so nuanced-- the team IS NEVER locked in and they ALWAYS make dumb mistakes. I guess they must NEVER win as well. I love this one-- "No matter how many wins we get this year nobody feels like we’re competing for championships." Hmm, what if they were to win enough games to get the NC game and perhaps even win that game? In your hypothetical world, NOBODY would think we are competing for championships? That would be an interesting turn of events.

Reactions: 5 people
Anyone that thinks she is what this program needs is absolutely nuts. Her teams are never good at the details and the wins they do get are on talent alone. The team is never “locked in”. They always make dumb mistakes, and the offense is garbage. Yes she’s not playing but she’s also not putting in a decent offense, or instilling the work ethic in these girls to get over making the same mistakes time and time again. I love all Tennessee sports and i loved Pat. Women’s basketball does matter and we deserve a better coach. No matter how many wins we get this year nobody feels like we’re competing for championships. With these players we should. I know the AD doesn’t want to bother with firing a women’s basketball coach. It’s different at UT though and we should be competing for national titles. It’s my first post in this forum but i had to let it out😜. VFL

Maybe you should go listen to the end od Gary Blair's presser tonight. He says get off Holly she is doing a great job.

Reactions: 4 people
So, wait. It wasn't Holly that had us pressing the majority of the game (which eventually wore them down enough to reap high rewards)? It wasn't Holly that put Nared on Carter for the majority of the game (causing an 11-27 shooting night with 7 turnovers)?

Reactions: 9 people
So, wait. It wasn't Holly that had us pressing the majority of the game (which eventually wore them down enough to reap high rewards)? It wasn't Holly that put Nared on Carter for the majority of the game (causing an 11-27 shooting night with 7 turnovers)?

Nahhhh the players figured that out on their own! 😂 I get on Holly when I think she can make better decisions or coach better and I am going to give her credit she made some really good coaching moves last night that I think Blair couldn’t counter. He started to say that Hayes was a true PG and move Westbrook to the tw guard then stopped himself and said “ but well actually I guess Holly knew what she wasn’t doing”.

I can’t figure out why with the numbers Westbrook has been putting up lately from the PG spot why people don’t think she is a PG. she reminds me a lot of Harris at SC both focused on running their team but both are good in the half court and can find the open player in transition... can see over defenses and play good position defense (most of the time). I think when you look at Westbrook’s numbers it says PG. I love Hayes numbers too! Hayes looks more aggressive going to the basket but often times gets caught up in traffic... I see her learning to use an escape dribble though to back things out. Another thing I have seen (which may Ben a small thing) but at the end of the qrtr. Hayes is taking the last shot which means she is learning before she would try to attack the basket a couple of times leaving by the opposing team time on the clock to be score. Something small but it is something that she learned from.

Reactions: 6 people
Home Court Advantage is always helpful and last night was no different. The girls did a much better job on floor spacing and AM did not double on Mercedes, which was a mistake, in keeping her scoring down. All in all nothing spectacular in this game. The officiating was let's say not even, a lot of contact fouls were not called and to be perfectly honest, AM was the weaker team. Good job Girls, Coaches...same o' same o', winning games you should win and losing games you should lose.

boy, did the switch flip in the 4th qtr...wow, and I swear I saw a Lady Vol dive for a loose ball...I'm not joking...I did...:)

PS. well done to the team, Holly, and staff...:pepper:

GO LADY VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Just stop going to games and buying tickets. Fat Phil will eventually get someone to explain the message to him.

Nahhhh the players figured that out on their own! 😂 I get on Holly when I think she can make better decisions or coach better and I am going to give her credit she made some really good coaching moves last night that I think Blair couldn’t counter. He started to say that Hayes was a true PG and move Westbrook to the tw guard then stopped himself and said “ but well actually I guess Holly knew what she wasn’t doing”.

I can’t figure out why with the numbers Westbrook has been putting up lately from the PG spot why people don’t think she is a PG. she reminds me a lot of Harris at SC both focused on running their team but both are good in the half court and can find the open player in transition... can see over defenses and play good position defense (most of the time). I think when you look at Westbrook’s numbers it says PG. I love Hayes numbers too! Hayes looks more aggressive going to the basket but often times gets caught up in traffic... I see her learning to use an escape dribble though to back things out. Another thing I have seen (which may Ben a small thing) but at the end of the qrtr. Hayes is taking the last shot which means she is learning before she would try to attack the basket a couple of times leaving by the opposing team time on the clock to be score. Something small but it is something that she learned from.

Evina's definitely a PG. Incredible court vision. Distributor first; though she has gotten more aggressive with her shot, which has its good and its bad points.

Maybe you should go listen to the end od Gary Blair's presser tonight. He says get off Holly she is doing a great job.

Why listen to a coach that knows Holly is not that good. Thats was like Nick Saban talking about how well Dooley was doing here. If I was a coaching womens basketball in the SEC I would be saying how well Holly is doing.

Reactions: 2 people
Home Court Advantage is always helpful and last night was no different. The girls did a much better job on floor spacing and AM did not double on Mercedes, which was a mistake, in keeping her scoring down. All in all nothing spectacular in this game. The officiating was let's say not even, a lot of contact fouls were not called and to be perfectly honest, AM was the weaker team. Good job Girls, Coaches...same o' same o', winning games you should win and losing games you should lose.

Low numbers of turnovers 13 is a great stat 🤔 turning them over 19 times even better. Officiating was crappy on both sides of the ball let’s be honest. They hand checked on the perimeter all night like we did. To our credit we were the more aggressive team in adapting to the way the refs were calling the game.

Reactions: 4 people
Why listen to a coach that knows Holly is not that good. Thats was like Nick Saban talking about how well Dooley was doing here. If I was a coaching womens basketball in the SEC I would be saying how well Holly is doing.

So true. Coach Blair would not have made that comment if the LVs had won both games played with TA&M.

I will try and answer some of my detractors in a short post instead of quoting each of them

1). Using this one game to defend Holly is ridiculous. She's got a body of work that she should have to answer for
2). Same old thread- yep maybe we need 1000 more to get her out of here
3). listen to Gary Blair's presser- Of course he wants to keep a sub-par coach at a sleeping Giant
4). There's 5 programs that could win a title year end and year out. We are not one of them and haven't been. We have everything to make us one of the top 2 programs every year. Don't throw sweet 16 and elite 8 stats out there. We invented womens college basketball and should not settle.

Reactions: 3 people
Her teams are consistent from year to year, undisciplined-long scoring droughts- high rate of turnovers. They never look like a top 10 team even when they are ranked in the top 10.

Notre Dame got past Rockne, UCLA got past Wooden, Bama got past Bryant. The Lady Vols can't seem to get past Pat. Until they do, settle into mediocrity. God knows we've got the right coach for it.
It took a while though for Bama. Is UCLA past Wooden? I didn't get that memo. Don't know about Rockne

This is my first post in this forum and I try to avoid it to be honest. Warlick is the Butch Jones in womens basketball.

I remember when I would listen to a whole radio broadcast plus post game if the game wasn't on television prior to the SEC Network. I haven't watched 5 total minutes all year. I didn't watch much last year. Holly has ruined my love for the sport. Now it just looks like bad, low level basketball except for UCONN. It doesn't matter who they put on the court.

Every year there is a new scapegoat to explain her incompetence.

There are quality coaches that would love to have this job. The program needs to GROH - Get Rid of Holly.
"I haven't watched 5 total minutes all year. I didn't watch much last year." If you haven't watched how do you know,("Now it just looks like bad, low level basketball except for UCONN") Holly hasn't ruined your love, you really didn't "love" it at all JMHO

I will try and answer some of my detractors in a short post instead of quoting each of them

1). Using this one game to defend Holly is ridiculous. She's got a body of work that she should have to answer for
2). Same old thread- yep maybe we need 1000 more to get her out of here
3). listen to Gary Blair's presser- Of course he wants to keep a sub-par coach at a sleeping Giant
4). There's 5 programs that could win a title year end and year out. We are not one of them and haven't been. We have everything to make us one of the top 2 programs every year. Don't throw sweet 16 and elite 8 stats out there. We invented womens college basketball and should not settle.

Let's start with: you pick a game Holly won to continue the "Holly can't coach" mantra, then complain in #1 there that others defended her for this game.

More importantly, though, is your faulty assessment of the current state of women's basketball. Pat won her first in 1987. She or Geno won 18 of the last 30. Only Kim Mulkey and Tara Vanderveer won more than one of those other 12, and Tara's last one was '91. So, since '91 there's Mulkey, and one of those years was Brittney Griner. (In fact, how about one championship, one final four, one sweet sixteen and one elite eight with Griner.) Of active coaches, the second tier behind the Evil One is crowded. There's not a major gap between any of the top 20 coaches, besides He Who Must Not Be Named. I'm assuming you would put last year's two finalists above Holly. Well, Holly beat them both last year and this year.

* oops, only one of them this year.

Last edited:
Let's start with: you pick a game Holly won to continue the "Holly can't coach" mantra, then complain in #1 there that others defended her for this game.

More importantly, though, is your faulty assessment of the current state of women's basketball. Pat won her first in 1987. She or Geno won 18 of the last 30. Only Kim Mulkey and Tara Vanderveer won more than one of those other 12, and Tara's last one was '91. So, since '91 there's Mulkey, and one of those years was Brittney Griner. (In fact, how about one championship, one final four, one sweet sixteen and one elite eight with Griner.) Of active coaches, the second tier behind the Evil One is crowded. There's not a major gap between any of the top 20 coaches, besides He Who Must Not Be Named. I'm assuming you would put last year's two finalists above Holly. Well, Holly beat them both last year and this year.

* oops, only one of them this year.

That is a spot in assessment. You could add Maryland and Brenda Frese into the mix who are now ranked one spot above the LVs this season. Frese has one NC in 2006 and since then it has been mostly sweet sixteens or elite 8, though she made it back to the FF in 2014, 2015. So, a good record but its not like Maryland is a perennial final 4 team.

Someone will get to the sweet 16 by beating the 32nd (or worse) ranked team in the country. Doesn’t sound like much of a success story.

And someone will get there by beating the seventeenth ranked(or better) team. Much more successful than not getting there. Your glass is always half empty,I guess.

VN Store

Back