Holly Has A Great Freshman Class

"Tailor made" for chw's coaching style. Does that mean do not play much defense and way outdated on offense. The only thing that can overcome that is 5 experienced players that are so good you can't mess them up. Sorry to be a downer so early but this has been going on for too long now.

Somehow, I doubt that you are truly sorry for posting this particular diatribe. At least, nothing in your recent posting past would serve to convince me that you mean that!

Jim

Reactions: 9 people
Somehow, I doubt that you are truly sorry for posting this particular diatribe. At least, nothing in your recent posting past would serve to convince me that you mean that!

Jim

Good point you made Jim! I meant I was sorry that I was telling you and others an unpleasant thing so early in the season. I am not truly sorry though for expressing what is inevitable. The coach is still the same and the results will be similar this year as they have been lately. I hope you can call me out in the middle of the season and tell me how mistaken I was.

Reactions: 1 person
Before making proclamations on how great the freshmen are, we better wait and see how they play against much better teams.

They still have a lot to learn.

I was at the game. I know "special" when I see it.
You get a kid like Rennia only a few times.
You get four of them, once in a coaching lifetime... To get four recruits coming in that were the all top 13 players...The#1 recruiting class. If you know coaching, you know how valuable it is to pick from the top if the tree. You get athleticism proficiency and savvy, in your recruits...All four of them...Players like that can hit the ground running from the gitgo

When we got this class it was four of the top 13. KK fell quite a bit in that rank, but she showed in Tuesday's performance that the #13 player was out there.

"Tailor made" for chw's coaching style. Does that mean do not play much defense and way outdated on offense. The only thing that can overcome that is 5 experienced players that are so good you can't mess them up. Sorry to be a downer so early but this has been going on for too long now.

If you got to see Westbrook, Davis and Hayes Tuesday night, in person,,,You would see that we have an elite set of recruit-players that can play both side of the ball. Wait till you can come to the arena and see this year's team in person.

Meme's game will grow by proxy,,All Meme needs is the right example to "emulate". She is self-taught in some of the basics in basketball,,,she is also physically advanced...With the right influence, she will be a beast.

There are easily "five"in this group. . . Factor in the players who are here already and we can easily find "5" out of that group of players. . . We just have to eliminate "drama"..We do that and this team kicks a$$.

Hayes and Westbrook are upgrades at guard. They proved in this game that they could score and defend against "quick" guards...something we didn't have last year. Those two "vertically challenged" guards at CN were the kind that killed us last year...NOT this year...Nope, ours is faster and bigger. KK was equally destructive and efficient. She is not as mobile as I would want a power-player to be, but she gets the job done underneath...She can move some people out of her way.

Russell's off-season workouts are showing. She was at the elbow for several touches and she turned and power-drove through traffic...She didn't do that last year. People say that she plays too far from the basket. But what they have to realize is, she is most often taking the opponent's shot-blocker with her...Opening the back-door.

There's still two (Harris and Greene) we haven't seen on the floor yet...Those eight with two potentially equally leveled "BIGS"...That is ten deep. That means one or two can be out and we can still compete at the top level.

What I mean by "tailor made" for chw's coaching style....Is in my opinion, CHW now has coaches who will share her vision,,,players who seemingly will accept her leadership,,,fully. , , Continuity off the court can be as important as continuity on the court. This team, minus drama, will be a contender.

I don't believe she had that chemistry potential last year. If this team stays out of the media focus for the wrong reasons and get in the media focus for what they are,,,The UT Lady Vols,,,We could have one of those teams that become part of history for what they accomplish, instead of what they un-accomplish.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Coach, I want to buy into all of your dreams about how the stars are aligned and the talent is here etc, etc. Coach Pat could take great HS players and turn them into great college players. She would work them hard, made them play defense or else they wouldn't play. She developed them into the best they could be. CHW has shown she cannot do those things.

Coach, I want to buy into all of your dreams about how the stars are aligned and the talent is here etc, etc. Coach Pat could take great HS players and turn them into great college players. She would work them hard, made them play defense or else they wouldn't play. She developed them into the best they could be. CHW has shown she cannot do those things.

I believe there was a apple or two in the bunch last year. that spoiled the proverbial "bunch"....You can't mix a Granny Smith with a gala (apple).
I don't believe that there those bad apples this year.

It's a perfect storm on paper.
And if it rains like it did on Tuesday,,,Rain on.

I believe that CHW had the Knowledge,,, now I believe she has the "right" personnel on both team and staff. And, as a coach she has to make a way, not get out of the way!

I believe there was a apple or two in the bunch last year. that spoiled the proverbial "bunch"....You can't mix a Granny Smith with a gala (apple).
I don't believe that there those bad apples this year.

It's a perfect storm on paper.
And if it rains like it did on Tuesday,,,Rain on.

I believe that CHW had the Knowledge,,, now I believe she has the "right" personnel on both team and staff. And, as a coach she has to make a way, not get out of the way!

You just made my point exactly. CHW has shown she cannot be the top dog because she can't make tough decisions. Such as taking control when you have trouble makers ruining things. She has not made ways in the past, only let things go on the same.

you just made my point exactly. Chw has shown she cannot be the top dog because she can't make tough decisions. Such as taking control when you have trouble makers ruining things. She has not made ways in the past, only let things go on the same.

🤔 😂

You just made my point exactly. CHW has shown she cannot be the top dog because she can't make tough decisions. Such as taking control when you have trouble makers ruining things. She has not made ways in the past, only let things go on the same.

So why are you still here?

Go away until she (Holly) leaves and then return? It gets extremely old after awhile.

It's a new season with a lot of new pieces 5 who had not yet played as Lady Vols (Hayes, Westbrook, KK, Davis and Green) and 2 who barely played (Dunbar and Harris).

It's like we only have 3 returning players (Nared, Russell, and MeMe) let's see how they perform first before we jump to conclusions.

Reactions: 9 people
So why are you still here?

Go away until she (Holly) leaves and then return? It gets extremely old after awhile.

It's a new season with a lot of new pieces 5 who had not yet played as Lady Vols (Hayes, Westbrook, KK, Davis and Green) and 2 who barely played (Dunbar and Harris).

It's like we only have 3 returning players (Nared, Russell, and MeMe) let's see how they perform first before we jump to conclusions.

Perfectly put, MLindsay.

BTW my landlord is a "Lindsay"

Some coaches solve problems,
some coaches eliminate problems...
Both are effective ways of dealing with them.

Coaches like Holly give them the rope, knowing they will ultimately hang themself.

Perfectly put, MLindsay.

Interesting! It's spelled the same way? I know many are spelled with Lindsey and not Lindsay.

If spelled the same way we are kin in some way or another because that last name isn't very popular.

Perfectly put, MLindsay.

Interesting! It's spelled the same way? I know many are spelled with Lindsey and not Lindsay.

If spelled the same way we are kin in some way or another because that last name isn't very popular.

Spelled with an A, like yours....His first name is Vance.
He is the grandfather of one of the players on Carson Newman's team..."Katie Stubblefield"

tailor . . j/s, (so Lady Smallvol doesn't always have to be the heavy)

That said, I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment!

Jim

Thank you, Sir Cannon. I generally try to be considerate and respectful, but.....it was gule!😂😂😂😂

IWMWHB and GO LADY VOLS!

Reactions: 2 people
Perfectly put, MLindsay.

Some coaches solve problems,
some coaches eliminate problems...
Both are effective ways of dealing with them.

Coaches like Holly give them the rope, knowing they will ultimately hang themself.

Holly neither solves or eliminates problems. She is the problem. And Lindsay #1, I have been a LV fan and follower for a long time and am so sad that our once great LV program has digressed to the level that it has. It will take a change at the top to get us going again. Holly is being paid a hefty salary and we deserve a better coaching performance than we are getting.

Last edited:
Holly neither solves or eliminates problems. She is the problem. And Lindsay #1, I have been a LV fan and follower for a long time and am so sad that our once great LV program has digressed to the level that it has. It will take a change at the top to get us going again. Holly is being paid a hefty salary and we deserve a better coaching performance than we are getting.

Posters know me on here.
They know I hold CHW to a coaching standard.
Not a personal standard.
I have opined both for her and against her in my time on here.

I was at that game. We were up a measly 8 points at halftime...Halftime occurred...In the second half we extended that point differential to 45.

There are certain types of things I directly associate with coaching and there are certain things I associate to players.

Someone said something right in that locker-room and those players played a different game in the second half..A change that dramatic, which coincides with a half-time locker-room trip is due to a Coach, not a player.

Players can change their own performance, maybe even inspire another player or two...But they can't change the context of the entire game....It takes a coach to get that done.

Or, not done.

Reactions: 7 people
I know this is Carson Newman, but this freshman class is outstanding. Nard looked like more of a leader. This team looks a lot better than it did at the beginning of last season.

I'm not about to read anything into a game against Carson Newman, but I agree they seem to have a different chemistry. That said, those 38 Carson Newman rebounds give me pause. Not sure how a team with only two players six feet tall (and they're basically both six feet tall) could get that many boards against UT, maybe the pace of the game just created that many opportunities, but hopefully they can build their defense and come to dominate the boards as well as the point totals.

I'm not about to read anything into a game against Carson Newman, but I agree they seem to have a different chemistry. That said, those 38 Carson Newman rebounds give me pause. Not sure how a team with only two players six feet tall (and they're basically both six feet tall) could get that many boards against UT, maybe the pace of the game just created that many opportunities, but hopefully they can build their defense and come to dominate the boards as well as the point totals.

Great talk!

This is the best CN team I have seen since moving to this area 6 years ago. The two guards were D1 transfers.

True, they had 38 rebounds, but we had 56. (Many of their rebounds came from long range shots. Those long range misses turn into long rebounds that fly over our inside players).
We also had 19 assists to 10 turnovers. ( More Assists than turnovers?!! I'm not sure that happened in any game last year).
We shot 57% and held them to 38%
We blocked 10, they blocked 1

Carson Newman or not, that is a dominating performance. After, a halftime talk.

I predict, It will continue.

MY opinion on the C-N game is that they play above themselves early on. Lady Vols played lackluster for the better part of a half. Freshman feeling out the game. Division 2 or not the speed of the game is faster than high school. Our seniors did their thing. As far as CHW I think she gave the freshman a free hand to do their thing because it was an exhibition game. But at the same time were told to play within the system. The freshman play really well. I honestly think locker room drama was the problem last season.Players thinking ME ME ME first. I don't think that will be the issue going forward. I'm personally glad DD left. We will be a better team without her.

This is the best CN team I have seen since moving to this area 6 years ago. The two guards were D1 transfers.

True, they had 38 rebounds, but we had 56. (Many of their rebounds came from long range shots. Those long range misses turn into long rebounds that fly over our inside players).
We also had 19 assists to 10 turnovers. ( More Assists than turnovers?!! I'm not sure that happened in any game last year).
We shot 57% and held them to 38%
We blocked 10, they blocked 1

Carson Newman or not, that is a dominating performance. After, a halftime talk.

I predict, It will continue.

Actually, we had a 14.6/13.4 A/TO ratio on the season last year (compared to 13.5/16.1 the previous year) -- which was, at a minimum, the best of the Holly Warlick era and at least since 2010-11 (prior season stats links appear to be broken on the UT website). But, agree that I hope this positive trend continues. Westbrook and Hayes seem to have excellent IQ and court awareness.

One of the things thats encouraging to me is that our freshmen guards attack the basket and make layups without throwing up bricks.

Reactions: 7 people
Except...she was that player, Pat's first 2 time AA and the first basketball player to have a jersey retired!

Except...she was that player, Pat's first 2 time AA and the first basketball player to have a jersey retired!

Because you are a great player does not make you are a good coach, or have the skill set to develope players. I have seen little development of Russell. You look at an Asha Wilso, she is constantly attacking the boards. She dominates the game, Russell does at times but spends a lot of time watching the game. She simple does not run with a high motor and look how many times in the last game she was out of position. If she plays at the level of her capibility, with the freshman we have and Nard and Green, this could be a very special team with final four potential.

Because you are a great player does not make you are a good coach, or have the skill set to develope players. I have seen little development of Russell. You look at an Asha Wilso, she is constantly attacking the boards. She dominates the game, Russell does at times but spends a lot of time watching the game. She simple does not run with a high motor and look how many times in the last game she was out of position. If she plays at the level of her capibility, with the freshman we have and Nard and Green, this could be a very special team with final four potential.

In her defense you can only develop those who want to be developed.

Greatness isn't given to anyone, it is earned.

What work has Russell put in on her own to make her the most dominant post in the game?

Holly saw that she had foot issues and had those corrected. I was critical of Dean but hearing Candace and Glory talk about how they return to Rocky Top or have him come to them to work them out says a lot (Glory has improved tremendously as a post player).

Being dominant takes a desire and a will to want to and I just don't see that same fire in Russell to dominate the game that I see in the other players you've mention and that can't be coached or developed that is on the player.

In her defense you can only develop those who want to be developed.

Greatness isn't given to anyone, it is earned.

What work has Russell put in on her own to make her the most dominant post in the game?

Holly saw that she had foot issues and had those corrected. I was critical of Dean but hearing Candace and Glory talk about how they return to Rocky Top or have him come to them to work them out says a lot (Glory has improved tremendously as a post player).

Being dominant takes a desire and a will to want to and I just don't see that same fire in Russell to dominate the game that I see in the other players you've mention and that can't be coached or developed that is on the player.

The tenor of the board has changed. Nice to read.

Yes, and Russell was playing a lot at the 4 spot in this CN game. It was nice to see, she'll learn how to dive from the wing to get in rebound position, she almost averaged a double, double, last season with less touches than other post players.

Go Russell. Exhibition Game. Her goal is to average a double/double this season, really what does she has to prove in an exhibition game in her senior year, besides shaking off a lil rust.

I back Pat and Roll with Holly!

VN Store

Back