Holding

They get away with a lot. And get phantom calls for them.

i don't know why, but i always pay attention to the non calls more in the Bama game than any other.

while i don't think it had a true impact on the outcome, in the 1st half, there were some questionable non calls......especially in the PI category. but such is life. we've gotten away with a few this year too....

Reactions: 2 people
Maybe I don't understand holding, but damn it sure did seem like Bama was doing a lot of it.

They basically made holding legal a few years back...as long as you keep your hands inside...

So you saw plenty of examples of bama's receivers grabbing the DB and driving them out of the play. As long as they keep their hands inside their chest area, it's not holding...same on the line...the key is for the defender to be able to get some lateral movement to force the blocker's hands to come out...but Bama's guys are well practiced and they were able to maintain legal position even while our guys were fighting to get free...

i don't normally pin losses on the refs, and im not going to this time either, but the officiating this year has been dreadful.

the refs yesterday were a bunch of amateurs.

Reactions: 1 person
Did they throw a flag on Bama other than a false start.
I only remember 4 flags.
2 on us the same play to negate a big return.

I saw a lot of WRs holding on the edge and down filed I know that not a call that gets called a lot but just saying

I saw some holding in the game, but not as much as I saw Florida and Georgia get away with.

I think you could probably call holding on an interior lineman in college or pros on probably at least 75% of the plays from the techical definition.

Reactions: 3 people
Stats show 5 penalties for 38 yard against Alabama and 1 on Tennessee. That would have been one the play with two flags, only one of them counted.

Maybe I don't understand holding, but damn it sure did seem like Bama was doing a lot of it.

The SEC, based in Birmingham, Alabama, has as its first bylaw:
Section 1: Bama never holds.
Section 2: Should some stupid, newbie ref not know who the standard bearer is for our conference, and this ref accidentally and mistakenly violates Section 1, the headlinesman (who is required to live in the state of Alabama and have two children named Roll and Tide) will pick up the yellow flag and wave it off and go apologize to the Bama ca$hing staff.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
They basically made holding legal a few years back...as long as you keep your hands inside...

So you saw plenty of examples of bama's receivers grabbing the DB and driving them out of the play. As long as they keep their hands inside their chest area, it's not holding...same on the line...the key is for the defender to be able to get some lateral movement to force the blocker's hands to come out...but Bama's guys are well practiced and they were able to maintain legal position even while our guys were fighting to get free...

Sure sounds like either there's no comparison between players on the two teams or our defenders aren't being coached on how to defeat a hold. Apparently our offensive linemen aren't in the play long enough to grab onto anything, so no worries about a hold there.

I really hate what's being done to the game to enhance scoring and bump up popularity. Maybe I'm just one of the few, but all the screwing around with things to "improve the game" has destroyed racing and basketball; now football may be on the chopping block of appeasement - gaudy scores and flashy play at all cost.

Some of the holding on Barnett was blatant. I mean "reaching out with full extension trying to pull him back after he passed you" holding.

Did they throw a flag on Bama other than a false start.
I only remember 4 flags.
2 on us the same play to negate a big return.

I really thought he punt return flag was going g to be on them for tripping. The guy that eventually tackled AK, was falling and flung his legs back to trip him up.

I agree. I was actually very impressed with their receivers down field run blocking. I was WAY less impressed with our players ability to break free of those blocks.

I really thought he punt return flag was going g to be on them for tripping. The guy that eventually tackled AK, was falling and flung his legs back to trip him up.

One of the flags was for tripping. It was a weird situation they way it all shook out. There was the flag for tripping on Bama, and the holding on us. We had to make a choice. If both fouls are assessed, they are offsetting and they would have kicked again. We decided to decline the tripping penalty and the yardage shook out to somewhere between the 35 and 40. If we had made them re-kick, they could have pinned us down. We made the right call, but I was confused with the sequence...especially since the ref misspoke and said facemask in his initial call.

One of the flags was for tripping. It was a weird situation they way it all shook out. There was the flag for tripping on Bama, and the holding on us. We had to make a choice. If both fouls are assessed, they are offsetting and they would have kicked again. We decided to decline the tripping penalty and the yardage shook out to somewhere between the 35 and 40. If we had made them re-kick, they could have pinned us down. We made the right call, but I was confused with the sequence...especially since the ref misspoke and said facemask in his initial call.

Thanks. That makes a lot more sense.

If you dont think we werent holding at least every other play then you didnt watch the game. Yes there were some holds that didnt get called but it was for both sides. Even if all the holds were called, we still lose the game.

VN Store

Back