Heupel to be announced per 247

Status
Not open for further replies.
People on this board that actually thought a big name coach with a proven track record would come to this university were just fooling themselves. This is where head coaching aspirations come to die. Dooley, Jones, and Pruitt are proof of that. I'm honestly surprised they got Heupel to say yes. We are not in the 90's folks. Tennessee football isn't as attractive as what this fan base thinks it is. There are no Peyton Manning's or Al Wilson's on the roster that are going to step up and lead this program from a player standpoint either. We barely compete with lower tier SEC teams today. Hell, we are one of the lower tier SEC teams. If you're disappointed about this hire I get it, but be realistic with yourself. UT football is a stepping stone to ruin your coaching reputation. This program has devolved into a free multimillion dollar paycheck in three years to whoever the poor schmuck is that signs his name to that contract. An enormous buyout with boatloads of free money is the only reason anybody would take that deal.

like this article
"Heupel’s name seemingly came out nowhere, but it really shouldn’t be a big surprise. It appears that Tennessee took a few swings at some big names (James Franklin, Matt Campbell, PJ Fleck) and realized that interest in the job isn’t very high. "

"Josh Heupel's offenses have ranked 6th, 5th, and 2nd in the country in total offense the last three years at UCF. As OC at Missouri in 2017, they were 14th."

"Dillon Gabriel, a former three-star recruit (No. 758 overall player in 2019 recruiting class), passed for 3,653 yards as a true freshman at UCF in 2019. In 2020, Gabriel passed for 3,570 yards in just 10 games. " He played and developed a Frosh.

Also treats others with utmost respect the department will really like him too. Opposite of Butch and Pruitt
To be fair, people at Bama don’t like Saban but they respect the heck out of him. Pruitt thought he should get that same respect. You can literally look at Pruitt when he was hired vs this last year, you could see his head getting bigger. He got the big head despite doing nothing to make it swell.

If he does have a little success at UT, NFL has been after Lincoln Riley. If Riley leaves for NFL , this guy bolts for Oklahoma. Then we start all over again.
He was FIRED from Oklahoma, his Alma Mater, I doubt they want him back as HC.

Welcome to ROCKYTOP Coach H!! We really, really needed a complete reset, as a former QB from a high powered offense at OKLAHOMA we have a pure pocket passer and a option QB in Salter. BREATH new life into this program, in the beginning if you can make it fun to watch and keep us in it the first year, you'll be way ahead and players will want to be a part. GO! BIG! DAMN ORANGE!!

Reactions: Bret178
Remember when Auburn, South Carolina and Texas were hoping to land Heupel?

Yeah, me neither. He is a stiff. More blowout losses coming.

I am not jumping up and down with excitement, but not caring what those guys didn't do, either. Not sure that makes sense. Looks like Huepel is getting a shot in the SEC. I'll at least wish the guy good luck.

Per Coach Heupel:

“I am thrilled to be coming to Tennessee,” Heupel said. “I understand that Volunteer fans are hungry for a return to the top that they so richly deserve, and it is my goal and commitment to bring a championship back to Rocky Top.”

An elite play caller with a history of explosive offenses, Heupel was the architect of a unit that ranked in the FBS top 10 in points per game in each of his three seasons as UCF head coach—eighth in 2020 (42.2), fifth in 2019 (43.4) and sixth in 2018 (43.2). The Knights also ranked in the top five in the FBS in total offense per game in each of those three seasons—second in 2020 (568.1), second in 2019 (540.5) and fourth in 2018 (522.7).

Per Coach Heupel:

“I am thrilled to be coming to Tennessee,” Heupel said. “I understand that Volunteer fans are hungry for a return to the top that they so richly deserve, and it is my goal and commitment to bring a championship back to Rocky Top.”

An elite play caller with a history of explosive offenses, Heupel was the architect of a unit that ranked in the FBS top 10 in points per game in each of his three seasons as UCF head coach—eighth in 2020 (42.2), fifth in 2019 (43.4) and sixth in 2018 (43.2). The Knights also ranked in the top five in the FBS in total offense per game in each of those three seasons—second in 2020 (568.1), second in 2019 (540.5) and fourth in 2018 (522.7).

"COACH served as the defensive coordinator and inside linebackers coach during his second stint with the Crimson Tide in 2016 and 2017, leading an Alabama team that topped the nation in scoring defense, total defense and rushing defense, while advancing to the College Football Playoff both seasons.

COACH'S 2017 defense allowed only 11.9 points per game, 260.4 total yards per contest and 94.7 rushing yards. Six Crimson Tide defensive players earned All-SEC honors in 2017, the most among any team in the conference, with defensive back Fitzpatrick and defensive lineman Raekwon Davis garnering first-team honors. Fitzpatrick collected consensus All-America honors for the second straight year in addition to winning the Jim Thorpe Award and Chuck Bednarik Award.

In his first season as Alabama’s defensive coordinator, COACH led the most dominant defense in college football in 2016. The Tide led the nation in scoring defense (13.0 ppg), rushing defense (63.9 ypg) and total defense (261.8 ypg). The squad also led the nation in defensive touchdowns with 11.

COACH coached the aforementioned Foster to consensus first team All-America honors and the Butkus Award after finishing the season with 115 tackles, 13 tackles for loss and five sacks, while Allen earned unanimous first-team All-America honors and won the Chuck Bednarik Award, the Lombardi Award, the Ted Hendricks Award and the Bronko Nagurski Trophy.

Prior to his return to Alabama, COACH was the defensive coordinator for two seasons at Georgia, guiding the nation’s No. 1 pass defense in 2015 and leading a squad that finished in the top 20 nationally in scoring defense, pass defense and total defense in 2014.

The 2015 Bulldogs’ defense ranked seventh nationally in total defense, allowing 305.9 yards per game, third in red zone defense (.676) and in first down defense (189), seventh in pass efficiency defense (104.99) and eighth in scoring defense (16.9 ppg).

COACH'S 2014 Georgia defense ranked fifth nationally in passing yards allowed (170.4 ypg) and was fourth in the country in turnover margin (+1.23).

During his stint in Athens, COACH coached seven future NFL Draft picks and four all-conference selections."

We can all post bios. That bio I posted looks like a grand slam, yeah?

2018: Note the 40-32 loss to LSU in the Fiesta bowl. Also destroyed Luke Fickel Cincy team 38-10 Finished season 12-1
2019: 10-3 Beat Kiffy team 48-14, Stanford 45-27 and Marshall 48-25
2020: 6-4 beat Georgia Tech 49-21, 3 pt loss to #7 Cincy 36-33 and 1 pt loss to Memphis 50-49. Beat Houston on the road 44-21 lost to #13 BYU in the bowl.

"COACH served as the defensive coordinator and inside linebackers coach during his second stint with the Crimson Tide in 2016 and 2017, leading an Alabama team that topped the nation in scoring defense, total defense and rushing defense, while advancing to the College Football Playoff both seasons.

COACH'S 2017 defense allowed only 11.9 points per game, 260.4 total yards per contest and 94.7 rushing yards. Six Crimson Tide defensive players earned All-SEC honors in 2017, the most among any team in the conference, with defensive back Fitzpatrick and defensive lineman Raekwon Davis garnering first-team honors. Fitzpatrick collected consensus All-America honors for the second straight year in addition to winning the Jim Thorpe Award and Chuck Bednarik Award.

In his first season as Alabama’s defensive coordinator, COACH led the most dominant defense in college football in 2016. The Tide led the nation in scoring defense (13.0 ppg), rushing defense (63.9 ypg) and total defense (261.8 ypg). The squad also led the nation in defensive touchdowns with 11.

COACH coached the aforementioned Foster to consensus first team All-America honors and the Butkus Award after finishing the season with 115 tackles, 13 tackles for loss and five sacks, while Allen earned unanimous first-team All-America honors and won the Chuck Bednarik Award, the Lombardi Award, the Ted Hendricks Award and the Bronko Nagurski Trophy.

Prior to his return to Alabama, COACH was the defensive coordinator for two seasons at Georgia, guiding the nation’s No. 1 pass defense in 2015 and leading a squad that finished in the top 20 nationally in scoring defense, pass defense and total defense in 2014.

The 2015 Bulldogs’ defense ranked seventh nationally in total defense, allowing 305.9 yards per game, third in red zone defense (.676) and in first down defense (189), seventh in pass efficiency defense (104.99) and eighth in scoring defense (16.9 ppg).

COACH'S 2014 Georgia defense ranked fifth nationally in passing yards allowed (170.4 ypg) and was fourth in the country in turnover margin (+1.23).

During his stint in Athens, COACH coached seven future NFL Draft picks and four all-conference selections."

We wanted a sitting HC. Check
We wanted a new offensive mind. Check
We wanted a winning coach. Check
We wanted someone with integrity. Check
We wanted someone to work with new AD for many years. Check
We wanted someone to change what we've been doing and no more bama rejects. Check
We didn't want to hire a coordinator. Check
We didn't want to hire ......Check

Please tell me where we missed on the best available coach that met all the criteria and who would come in the middle of an NCAA investigation?

Welcome coach Heupel!

Per Coach Heupel:

So they were second in the FBS in total offense. Meanwhile we were 102nd! A little perspective helps from time to time. He also was an all American QB himself and won a NC as a QB at OK. Given our circumstances I think this was a solid hire. And for all this folks that said, “we need someone to coach up this kids!” Well, here is the most striking stat...he accomplished all these impressive stats on Offense without one 5 star or one 4 star. The dude can flat out coach! GBO!

Last edited:
We wanted a sitting HC. Check
We wanted a new offensive mind. Check
We wanted a winning coach. Check
We wanted someone with integrity. Check
We wanted someone to work with new AD for many years. Check
We wanted someone to change what we've been doing and no more bama rejects. Check
We didn't want to hire a coordinator. Check
We didn't want to hire ......Check

Please tell me where we missed on the best available coach that met all the criteria and who would come in the middle of an NCAA investigation?

Welcome coach Heupel!

I didn't make that list, so I'm not going to be beholden to it.

That would be grand slam if you were hiring him as DC, which is what this BIO is!!! Just saying the guy couldn't repeat the success as HC. This guy has and let's give him chance.

Last edited:
We tried to do worse with Dykes.

Danny White is a clown. This is a dead hire. It has zero juice. Neyland will be lucky to ne half full. Large majoriry wont support this hire or program.

We are dead.

How he couldn't get Belicheck is beyond me. Loser!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back