Heupel and the draft

I think I need you guys to walk me off the ledge a little. It does not appear we will hear our beloved Tennessee mentioned tonight for round 2 and 3 of the draft. That means under Heupel we have had one first rounder (Darnell Wright), one 2nd rounder (Alontae Taylor) and a handful of 3rd rounders (Hooker, Hyatt, Tillman, Young and Jones). Is it just that he inherited a team with the cup boards empty? Does it affect recruiting if we do not put a bunch of guys in the higher draft rounds?

Good admitting you might be wrong! I think we get some dudes drafted next year

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
I can't believe the low number of RBs taken . Seems like every tackle and Wr in college football have been taken so far. As I recall, only 3 RBs so far. After very pick they flash a list of top picks remaining on the board and no RBs. It's crazy...
It’s crazy how that position has been devalued.

Reactions: HalfullVol
I think I need you guys to walk me off the ledge a little. It does not appear we will hear our beloved Tennessee mentioned tonight for round 2 and 3 of the draft. That means under Heupel we have had one first rounder (Darnell Wright), one 2nd rounder (Alontae Taylor) and a handful of 3rd rounders (Hooker, Hyatt, Tillman, Young and Jones). Is it just that he inherited a team with the cup boards empty? Does it affect recruiting if we do not put a bunch of guys in the higher draft rounds?
There were 57 scholarship players on Heupel’s 2021 team. The best ones had transferred out. He’s developed Hooker, Tillman, Hyatt, Jones, J Wright, D Wright, Taylor, Jackson into draft picks off of that 2021 team. Maybe Hadden too.

I can’t imagine anyone doing more with that group. Wait til Heupel’s own recruits start cycling out.

James Pearce will be a top 10 pick next year. Nico will be a top 10 pick the next year and Boo Carter will be a top 10 pick the next year. No need to worry.
If the league keeps going the direction it's going (heavily offensive minded), I'd be surprised if Pearce and Carter are top 10 picks. Top 10 talent potentially, but might not be drafted top 10. I mean there wasn't a defensive player selected in this draft in the top 15.

Reactions: tn4elvis
If the league keeps going the direction it's going (heavily offensive minded), I'd be surprised if Pearce and Carter are top 10 picks. Top 10 talent potentially, but might not be drafted top 10. I mean there wasn't a defensive player selected in this draft in the top 15.
The league is a damn glorified 7 on 7 passing tournament. If you hit anyone to hard you will be suspended. In the last 20 years not one single rule change has benefited the defense. It has become almost unwatchable.

It will shift back. Pressure on QBs will ALWAYS be at a premium. I read that if JPJr was draft eligible this year, he’d be the top defensive player taken which tells me this draft was weak for defensive players.

Hard to wrap my mind around Wright not being drafted yet? Had great college stats with lower mileage on the odometer. Tested great at the combine. No known character problems. What are these teams looking for at the position? The first RB taken is coming off ACL surgery? The Michigan guy from afar seemed to have a lot of use in college? Wright seems like a no brainer to me?

Hard to wrap my mind around Wright not being drafted yet? Had great college stats with lower mileage on the odometer. Tested great at the combine. No known character problems. What are these teams looking for at the position? The first RB taken is coming off ACL surgery? The Michigan guy from afar seemed to have a lot of use in college? Wright seems like a no brainer to me?
He will pop like Pacheco with the chiefs and people will ask how he went so late in the draft…

It’s strange. Feels like the NFL still undervalues Heupel’s offense. If you watch Wright play you know he’s a real talent. I don’t get it either.

Reactions: wmcovol
Here is how I see it. Heupel inherited a thin roster with a lot of raw talent. Just about every person that went pro after his second year was not headed in that direction until Heupel and company arrived—let alone perform at the levels they did. So that includes Hooker, Hyatt, Tillman and some DBs I think?

Considering Heupel took a huge roster restriction and inherited a dumpster fire, many suspected last year to be precisely what it turned out to be. Some, like me, were surprised we had the ability to be a 10-2 team.

I had a feeling that losing Wright was a concern, and it turned out to be the case as our offensive line was much of the reason we didn’t do better last year—especially with both an injured star at center and Mincey out for the FL game.

That said Milton was serviceable, but I do think he also was part of the reason for the drop off. Hard to follow Hooker’s footsteps with a worse line and no Hyatt in his defense.

I think last year’s record and this year’s draft just confirms that we were due a dropoff. If anything, going 9-4 with one round 1-4 NFL player speaks volumes about what Heupel and his staff are able to do with a limited roster. Heupel still did enough with Joe to get him into the pros. We somehow produced an NFL caliber DB out of Hadden, JW was an absolute monster last year with two other backs sharing snaps, and 8 other players were UDFAs this year.

As for the future, Heupel has been recruiting well enough since he has been here, and the roster restrictions are minimal at this juncture. Should we continue to see the same type of record and outcome in the draft next year, then that is when will I will believe there is cause for concern. Still, I won’t be making any firm judgements until after Nico’s junior year. We are currently thin at RB and have a young backfield again.

Last edited:
Reactions: EZE and wmcovol
RB will get you big man on campus in HS or College and maybe the top cheerleader, but the NFL has decided it's a second thought position. With all the hits you absorb they know some will just have 2 to 3 years to put up numbers. Then it's off to the next RB and/or a lot of teams do it by committee with no so-called star, relying mostly on passing game.
RB is the NFL position that has the least amount of difficulty increase from college to NFL. If a college RB does something really well then they are probably going to do it well in the NFL too. Blocking is normally the only thing they have to improve on. This makes is super easy to draft a college RB knowing he will be good in the NFL. That just doesn’t work with any other position.

Heupel has never been an elite recruiter. That continues to show on draft day. He is a really good coach tho and I would rather have a good coach than a good recruiter (Pruitt). Thing is if he ever wants to win championships at UT then he will have to start being a much better recruiter. Florida has out recruited the Vols over the last 2 classes while their team has been a dumpster fire. If Heupel wants to compete with UGA every class will need at least 3-4 five star players along with over two thirds of the class being four stars.

Heupel has never been an elite recruiter. That continues to show on draft day. He is a really good coach tho and I would rather have a good coach than a good recruiter (Pruitt). Thing is if he ever wants to win championships at UT then he will have to start being a much better recruiter. Florida has out recruited the Vols over the last 2 classes while their team has been a dumpster fire. If Heupel wants to compete with UGA every class will need at least 3-4 five star players along with over two thirds of the class being four stars.
lol please tell me you are trolling… Heupel has recruited very well here with all the restrictions and still able to bring in the talent he has… none of the players eligible for the draft the past few years have been Heupel recruits… when Pearce goes top 5 next year I hope you come back for your baked crow lol

Tennessee was 17th
Florida was 18th

Tennessee was 10th
Florida was 13th

Tennessee was 14th
Florida was 13th

lol please tell me you are trolling… Heupel has recruited very well here with all the restrictions and still able to bring in the talent he has… none of the players eligible for the draft the past few years have been Heupel recruits… when Pearce goes top 5 next year I hope you come back for your baked crow lol
And you really can't hold the Class of 2021 against him. He wasn't hired until January 28th, and there had been an early signing period.

From what I read, the Heupel "brand" is growing in recognition with NFL personnel directors and coaches, though. Repeatedly we hear (and recruits can be shown) that Tennessee players arrive ready to go, responsible, with pro-level practice habits and off-field maturity. Much of this starts with his "culture"--he doesn't bring in guys who aren't prepared (usually by family) to aspire to that level of responsibility.

My only concern (BVS induced, probably) is that teams will recognize that, but use it to under-draft Tennessee guys under the cover of "good player, not great" who they know will be contributing far beyond their "draft value" when the season starts.
Defensively the draft is what it is. As far as offensive players scouts will look at players from UT a certain way (outside of running backs and tight ends) There will be question marks about any QB or WR coming out of UT until a few make their mark in the NFL. Hyatt is already making doubters take a second look. he is not burning it up but he is doing a lot better than most expected. Tillman similarly has done well considering his draft position. Velus Jones has a chance to break out in Chicago this year as a returner and maybe as a WR. If either Hooker or Milton can become at least capable backups in the NFL it will change the way the Heupel's offense is seen. I honestly think people will see that players from this offense can transition. I think Bru will also be a big steal for someone, he will get drafted well behind where he deserves like JJ was (the niners are laughing their way to the bank on that one).

Not Heupel's fault necessarily because the senior class this year would have still been recruited by Pruitt but it does hurt we didn't have a lot of talent.

Of course, the recruiting has been a lot better with Heupel. I agree with a lot of the thread in that it shows Heupel has coached up the team.

RB will get you big man on campus in HS or College and maybe the top cheerleader, but the NFL has decided it's a second thought position. With all the hits you absorb they know some will just have 2 to 3 years to put up numbers. Then it's off to the next RB and/or a lot of teams do it by committee with no so-called star, relying mostly on passing game.
I’m expecting wide receivers to go the same route. Why pay huge numbers for 5-10 year veteran receivers when 1-3 year guys are good enough. And there are so many of them to pick from with college offenses the way they are now. New England established the blueprint and Kansas City has followed it. World class QB and tight end, average receivers, excellent LOS and rock solid defense.

VN Store

Back