Hendrix opens up about transfer

Some of you guys need to back off this kid.

He is going to be a great player, wherever he goes. His personality didn't fit with the TN culture. No big deal.

Kamara didn't fit with Bama and no one is calling him soft, or not SEC caliber.

Sometimes things don't work out. It isn't anyone's fault.

I think you are right about his personality, things happen. It is easy for people to blame coaches about certain things when they already think they are failing.

Some of you guys need to back off this kid.

He is going to be a great player, wherever he goes. His personality didn't fit with the TN culture. No big deal.

Kamara didn't fit with Bama and no one is calling him soft, or not SEC caliber.

Sometimes things don't work out. It isn't anyone's fault.

The obvious difference is Kamara didn't trash bama's program or coaches on his way out. Or at least obvious to some... ....

Fact is Butch Jones rips his players and often times crosses the proverbial line of well-deserved criticism to belittlement. Butch Jones isn't the "player's coach" that many Vol fans think he is nor is he a "choir boy".....

Maybe he can go play for Grandpa Saban. I am sure he is much nicer and would never raise his voice to his players.

Coaching the kids hard has resulted in a tough team that didn't quit when things seemed hopeless. I do believe the staff should evaluate how they approach some individuals and make some adjustments. I would bet they are already doing it. Losing 3 4 stars has to get your attention.

I would hope the staff constantly evaluates and adjusts. But, I like a plan where you push the player to perform at an SEC level and if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. The players left will then be hard-nosed, top performers. The weaker ones can go play at a lower level division school.

Heard the same story from someone close to the program 3 weeks ago. His story talked of a well known player that couldnt stand his position coach because of this. This player got plenty of PT so it wasnt that at all. I do think there is a line between tough love and belittling someone. Constant belittlement wears on most everyone.

Your friend is wrong.

Coaching the kids hard has resulted in a tough team that didn't quit when things seemed hopeless. I do believe the staff should evaluate how they approach some individuals and make some adjustments. I would bet they are already doing it. Losing 3 4 stars has to get your attention.

I don't. Hey, every coach isn't for every player. Sometimes there's a few who can't handle the absolute truth. Sugarcoating things only makes it worse. I'd rather play a 2 star who will give his all than a 4-star who has been and expects to be coddled.

Your friend is wrong.

No offense ( and I hope you are correct), but I'm gonna go with him on this one. I called BS on it when he told me at the time. The name he gave wasnt considering leaving at all, but said he didnt care for it. Makes sense with what Hendrix came out saying. Too coincidental to have no basis.

No offense ( and I hope you are correct), but I'm gonna go with him on this one. I called BS on it when he told me at the time. The name he gave wasnt considering leaving at all, but said he didnt care for it. Makes sense with what Hendrix came out saying. Too coincidental to have no basis.

Didn't Hendrix also say don't believe everything you read?
I haven't seen anyone being belittled at practice.
Cursing? Yep, but not much more than get your ass in gear

I just wish they could leave with a little respect and a better perspective on Div I football. I think there is a lot of reality that some of these young men are not ready to accept, and they point their finger at the school, coaches, city etc.. for not performing. There exist politics of the SEC that would take too long to teach and x2 long to understand, but these $3 million dollar + coaches were not brought in to make these football players like them, they come here to play in the best conference in the Nation, and that takes hardwork and dedication. I am just assuming that these three young men were not ready for the SEC, I am sure the ACC and Big10 have room :)

Go Vols!!
Don't the ACC and the Big Ten each have a team in the Natl Ch 4 team playoff?

Most of this is just pure nonsense. I have been a coach for many years and played at the college level. I can tell you that players these days have been way too coddled and cannot handle any form of criticism. Most parents enable this by continually second guessing every single move that is made by the coach and feeding that drivel to their kids when they leave the field. If a player cannot handle being criticized then they are in the wrong recreation, and would be much better served doing something else with their time.

Reactions: 2 people
Jones and co. often rip their players and cross the line from well-deserved criticism to down right belittlement. Criticism and a good arsss chewin' is fine but when you belittle your players that is not acceptable and players won't take it (nor should they).

You have actually witnessed this on a regular basis? It is interesting that you don't hear any criticism of the coaches from 95% of the team, only the few that don't like it.

Reactions: 1 person
Heard the same story from someone close to the program 3 weeks ago. His story talked of a well known player that couldnt stand his position coach because of this. This player got plenty of PT so it wasnt that at all. I do think there is a line between tough love and belittling someone. Constant belittlement wears on most everyone.

Was this player Daniel Helms? If so, it was more of a use of language issue with him due to his faith.

Maybe it is because I am an old fart, but I don't think this is a coaching or a football problem. I believe it is due to more the coddled and the entitlement mentality that the current college generation has been exposed to over their brief life time. . Several have mentioned their boot camp experience, believe me no football coach can belittle you like a military DI. They not only belittle you but also your girl friend, family , state or any other group or person you maybe associated with. Their purpose of course is to tear you down and create a mental toughness and they excel at this task. Coach Jones is also trying to instill mental toughness something Vol teams have been missing for awhile. Hendrix and company will achieve or they won't, makes no difference to us now. GO VOLS !!

Reactions: 6 people
You have actually witnessed this on a regular basis? It is interesting that you don't hear any criticism of the coaches from 95% of the team, only the few that don't like it.

It's nonsense. You can't judge a coaching staff based on the feelings of a few unhappy players. Yep it is so terrible that AJ Johnson came back and others who stated that they wished they had more time to play for him. Not to mention other players regularly recruit prospects to UT. This did not happen under Dooley and juniors left the moment they had they had the opportunity, even ones who should have stayed another year. Players recruited against UT under Dooley, just more whining by the mopes on here. They sound eerily similar to Hendrix.

Reactions: 1 person
They ought to teach these kids the classy way to leave a big time Div 1 program, although many would ignore it. It goes along the lines of, "I appreciate the opportunity the university and coaching staff gave me. I have found that this particular situation is just not working for me, nothing against anybody here. I wish nothing but the best to the university and staff in the coming days unless we happen to meet again somewhere on the gridiron."

Reactions: 2 people
If you can't hack it move on. I don't care if you are a 5 star. Any top D-1 program in the country you are going to have your coach on your a*# every single day. Deal with it or go to some small college and be treated like a princess. I will say there are some coaches that may overstep, but in today's society he would've already been fired.

Jones and co. often rip their players and cross the line from well-deserved criticism to down right belittlement. Criticism and a good arsss chewin' is fine but when you belittle your players that is not acceptable and players won't take it (nor should they).

:lolabove::lolabove:

"Get your *ss back out there you little p*ssy before I kick you so hard youll be wearing your *ss for a Hat!"

And I'm sure opposing teams tackle and hit too hard also.
Go back to your sand box.

GBO :rock:

VN Store

Back