Haynesworth calling for boycott...

I think what he's saying is the issue shouldn't be brought up when your "jumping off point" is so baseless. I'm all for having a conversation about racism but only when it involves legitimate cases of concern, not when it involves baseless accusations such as what AH spewed. And not in some nebulous way without legitimate examples. Just suggesting that sweeping systemic racism in college football is out there in the ether and we must immediately go along with that just because someone says so isn't enough to make me sit up and take notice.

0 black head coaches in SEC football isn’t a legitimate concern?

TN and SC interviewed and wanted to hire Tony Eilliott and he turned down both jobs. TN also tried to hire James Franklin. Schools are interviewing black head coaches, but you cannot force people to take a job. There have been 5 black HCs in the SEC history for football (Croom, Franklin, Mason, Phillips and Sumlin), which is less than what one would expect. I would like to see more minority candidates get interviews. Hiring should go to the best candidates regardless of race.

That is clearly not how this works unfortunately.
This comment also ignores that just getting your foot in the door as a black person to have a legitimate chance to be a HC is more difficult. How many black coordinators are currently in the SEC?

Last edited:
Honestly UT may have done Tee a favor would it be wise for him to start his first Head coaching position at his alma mater that is on the verge of going through sanctions from the NCAA? If I were Tee I would not want that headache.
This comment makes a lot of sense. It turned out better for him. Being under a losing coach didn't help his stock any. He was not a bright light in the regime. So many factors involved. We all want him to go where he would be respected and has a fair chance of becoming a great coach.

Reactions: Buddr
We managed to get a coach who has been a head coach, and has a pretty decent record at that. Maybe not SEC play but I bet UCF would have run UT off the field this season. I'll take that over any OC with no HC experience, and certainly a position coach with minimal OC experience. Also my friend from Oklahoma begrudgingly admitted that due to Heupel he is now forced to root for us except when we play OU, because he's pretty popular witg those folk apparently. That alone is worth it.

This comment also ignores that just getting your foot in the door as a black person to have a legitimate chance to be a HC is more difficult. How many black coordinateres are currently in the SEC?
I agree that it has been very difficult for black HCs in all of football, not just TN or the SEC. However, for AH to call out TN as being systematically racist for not hiring Martin is ridiculous. Martin has never been a HC at any level of play and his recent results do not make a strong case for him either. TN attempted to hire Franklin and interviewed Elliott, which at least showed a willingness to consider black candidates for the position.

I did not want any coordinator for the job as I think it needed a more experienced coach. Although I am not a fan of Franklin from his time at Vandy, he would have been an excellent hire to lead the team. I truly hope our new coach is successful, but I am worried that he does not have the experience to navigate the current state of our program.

I want the best coach possible for the school regardless of race and I hope that VN would want the same.

This comment also ignores that just getting your foot in the door as a black person to have a legitimate chance to be a HC is more difficult. How many black coordinateres are currently in the SEC?
Here we go. Tennessee is racist. Alabama is racist. Florida is racist. Georgia is racist. You want to know what is racist? Affirmative Actiion is racist. If you think skin color should get you a job and not your background, credentials, education, work history...go pound sand.

3FBB6D13-0B8C-4DB1-86D8-F4EB2F1A9A59.jpeg

Reactions: jarhead
Is that you Albert?

Times are changing bud, people are changing. It won’t happen over night. Eric Bienemy is a star in the making and will get a shot. Tony Elliott, apparently is an up and comer, who will have plenty of opportunities. I believe James Franklin was seriously in play(at least on our end). In the case of Tee, I don’t think he is qualified for an SEC head coaching gig.
GBO!!

Eric Bienemy is sadly is being held back by the Vincent Rule. He would be an NFL head coach right now if that rule didn't exist.

Tee Martin should go join Tom Herman's staff at his next coaching stop. They can go start BLM riots together....march all over campuses spitting cop hating rhetoric like Herman has implying to kids cops will drag you out and kill you when you are pulled over for being Black. I lived in Long Beach, California for 14yrs. I'm tired of being called a racist, homophobic, xenophobic, White privileged, uneducated, Nazi scum bag fascist bigot....yet we are suppose to now heal and come together after years of calling millions of Americans those things. Big Al can go suck on an exhaust pipe for all I care. Tee sucked at USC as an OC...otherwise he'd still be there with that job. Race has nothing to do with it. Being qualified by your resume does.

I clearly see why with this comment

I agree that it has been very difficult for black HCs in all of football, not just TN or the SEC. However, for AH to call out TN as being systematically racist for not hiring Martin is ridiculous. Martin has never been a HC at any level of play and his recent results do not make a strong case for him either. TN attempted to hire Franklin and interviewed Elliott, which at least showed a willingness to consider black candidates for the position.

I did not want any coordinator for the job as I think it needed a more experienced coach. Although I am not a fan of Franklin from his time at Vandy, he would have been an excellent hire to lead the team. I truly hope our new coach is successful, but I am worried that he does not have the experience to navigate the current state of our program.

I want the best coach possible for the school regardless of race and I hope that VN would want the same.

Kara Lawson calls on Tennessee to address diversity in athletics
^Here is a more reputable source saying practically the same thing.

Eric Bienemy is sadly is being held back by the Vincent Rule. He would be an NFL head coach right now if that rule didn't exist.
That’s crazy! I had not heard of this new rule. I looked into it and read a pretty interesting article by Jason Whitlock.
GBO!!

Reactions: BisonVol
He also accused former Lady Vol Brittany Jackson, aka his baby mama, of being a racist with nothing to back up the claim. Hell, for all I know his claims against her are actually true, but when he cries wolf over stuff like this, it puts that in doubt. It's unfortunate because racism is a real issue, especially in certain sects of life (housing, education, etc.) but I don't think not getting a job that you're clearly not qualified for isn't one of those. Granted, if we're being honest, he's probably as qualified as Tony Elliott, so I could understand being hurt by that, but that shoots down the aspect of racism in this case since Elliott is black, too.

VN Store

Back