Haynesworth calling for boycott...

Most of you on here have never experienced what people of color has been through or are going through. You make these little snide remarks, and it's funny to you and you're friends. 1st this and 1st that, and that makes everything alright. I don't know what Albert means when he says what he's saying, but I do know from all these responses that most of you don't care about any of these young Ladies and young men. Words hurt! Let's just pretend that a lot of people, people of color, read this board. What if they decide, "I'm not sending my child to that school, they sound like they're racist", how do think your recruiting classes would look? It's better to be thought of being one, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. I also know some on here don't give a hoot about what I just said, but If we just learn to "LOVE" each like a brother or sister, maybe, just maybe, we can learn to enjoy sports for what it truly is, A Game! Go Vols and Lady Vols!

Reactions: SmokeyDaBear
Most of you on here have never experienced what people of color has been through or are going through. You make these little snide remarks, and it's funny to you and you're friends. 1st this and 1st that, and that makes everything alright. I don't know what Albert means when he says what he's saying, but I do know from all these responses that most of you don't care about any of these young Ladies and young men. Words hurt! Let's just pretend that a lot of people, people of color, read this board. What if they decide, "I'm not sending my child to that school, they sound like they're racist", how do think your recruiting classes would look? It's better to be thought of being one, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. I also know some on here don't give a hoot about what I just said, but If we just learn to "LOVE" each like a brother or sister, maybe, just maybe, we can learn to enjoy sports for what it truly is, A Game! Go Vols and Lady Vols!
200 (3).gif

No reason why a guy like Tony Elliot don't have a head coaching job.

...except he's turned down multiple opportunities already. -eyeroll-

Elliott is biding his time and will take a HC job when he wants to...just like any good coordinator (black, white, green) that has leverage.

Reactions: 615vols
To be fair its alot of white coaches that hasn't done much in there careers and get coaching jobs all the time. I ain't trying to stir up nothing but its facts. How many black head coaches at P5 schools? No reason why a guy like Tony Elliot don't have a head coaching job.
Yes there is - he turned a head coaching job down - You can't be a head coach if you turn down your opportunity to be a head coach. Tony appears bright and is obviously in demand - he will be a head coach soon enough - wish it had been this week.

Yes there is - he turned a head coaching job down - You can't be a head coach if you turn down your opportunity to be a head coach. Tony appears bright and is obviously in demand - he will be a head coach soon enough - wish it had been this week.

Yes. Isn't it a good sign that a black coordinator is accomplished enough that he doesn't have to take the first job he's offered and can wait for a better opportunity when he decides? That's leverage..... some might almost say.... privilege.

Ok thanks for correcting me lol Didn't know.

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
This appears to have veered slightly off the rails - 1. I thought we had all agreed we would have loved to have had an AA head coach - tried in vain to hire two of them this past week. And 2. we had also all agree that Haynesworth was and is an idiot.

Reactions: volanatic
Entering 2020, there were 11 black coaches of the 65 power 5 schools: 16.9%.

Per the 2016 census, black/African American citizens make up 13.4% of the population.

I’m sure those numbers are slightly different now with all the off-season coaching carousel, but why are we even talking about this? Just to qualify my statement I’m a fiscal conservative and socially “I don’t care what people do with their own lives” moderate.

Reactions: AllVols
Entering 2020, there were 11 black coaches of the 65 power 5 schools: 16.9%.

Per the 2016 census, black/African American citizens make up 13.4% of the population.

I’m sure those numbers are slightly different now with all the off-season coaching carousel, but why are we even talking about this? Just to qualify my statement I’m a fiscal conservative and socially “I don’t care what people do with their own lives” moderate.

Not sure why you chose to only focus on power 5 schools instead of FBS as a whole, but you could get even more granular than that. How many MALE black citizens made up the US population? To me, that's the real figure since there are virtually no black female head coaching candidates.

Reactions: Border Vol
Not sure why you chose to only focus on power 5 schools instead of FBS as a whole, but you could get even more granular than that. How many MALE black citizens made up the US population? To me, that's the real figure since there are virtually no black female head coaching candidates.
How many white female head coaches are there? I would think that gender would be a wash, unless you’re suggesting that male/female distribution among African Americans is significantly different that that of white people. I chose power 5 because those are the premium jobs. I’m not close-minded. If you want to post full stats on all FBS schools I’ll be happy to look at my stance again.

I think what he's saying is the issue shouldn't be brought up when your "jumping off point" is so baseless. I'm all for having a conversation about racism but only when it involves legitimate cases of concern, not when it involves baseless accusations such as what AH spewed. And not in some nebulous way without legitimate examples. Just suggesting that sweeping systemic racism in college football is out there in the ether and we must immediately go along with that just because someone says so isn't enough to make me sit up and take notice.

Very reasonable post. My sentiments exactly. Just throwing out comments like that are divisive. If AH was serious he could talk to some people in the administration, and him and other guys can hold those discussions behind closed doors with UT. To think UT is the place for a head coaching apprenticeship is ridiculous understanding we made some bad hires recently we've looked for experienced coaches except for the last guy who was a failure.

Racial discrimination is very real but people like Haynesworth who use it as an easy cop-out only perpetuate the racial divide even more. He’s hurt, because Tee is hurt, and his only justification for us not interviewing him is the lowest common denominator- the race card. His problem is he can’t pinpoint the real reason so he targets the easiest, most absolute one. Never mind us trying to hire Tony Elliott or James Franklin. He’s ignoring all logic. And as someone who was privy to Albert’s personal and business dealings, at least since he’s been back in Knoxville, I can say that he doesn’t always use the best judgment. If you want to see an example of someone who was frustrated but handled their response accurately, look to my favorite Vol, Peerless. He doesn’t understand why either, but instead of going scorched earth, simply described Tee’s pain. That alone got the message across. When Peerless talks, people listen. When Albert talks, they roll their eyes.

I'm so d*** sick of people who define everything by RACE. Ridiculous! To me, they themselves are the racist and thus the problem. I live in a neighborhood with black, brown, white and Asian all living together and we all get along just fine like neighbors should. Haynesworth should be completely ashamed of himself for even suggesting that the new AD is racist because he did not consider T. Martin. Maybe he did consider him, maybe he didn't. Only T and Danny White know that.

There is not a BLESSED thing that people of color are denied in this country because of their race or creed! The media has succeeded in making huge segments of the population believe their spew! The term has lost any meaning that it may have had. Are there racists?? You betcha . . . . on both sides, because the media has succeeded in their little tirade to deceive and separate us. GET OVER IT! SHEESH!!!!!

How many white female head coaches are there? I would think that gender would be a wash, unless you’re suggesting that male/female distribution among African Americans is significantly different that that of white people. I chose power 5 because those are the premium jobs. I’m not close-minded. If you want to post full stats on all FBS schools I’ll be happy to look at my stance again.

All I was trying to say is, comparing the percentage of power 5 programs being coached by black coaches vs the total US population of black males would give a more accurate reflection. I would say looking at it from that standpoint, the ratio is actually much higher compared to the total population. Throwing black females into the math only dilutes the comparison since there are virtual zero females (black or otherwise) serving as head coaches.

All I was trying to say is, comparing the percentage of power 5 programs being coached by black coaches vs the total US population of black males would give a more accurate reflection. I would say looking at it from that standpoint, the ratio is actually much higher compared to the total population. Throwing black females into the math only dilutes the comparison since there are virtual zero females (black or otherwise) serving as head coaches.
Black males as a percentage of all males is about the same, right at 13%. Does race unfairly affect hiring in this country? Absolutely. Just a guess, but you would probably find a huge disparity in it at the school administration level (percent of all chancellors, athletic directors, etc.). All I’m saying is there are many ways to show racial inequality in hiring practices, I just think the head coaching argument is a non-starter.

Self fulfilling prophecy at work brought on by terrible single parenting from emotional women

Reactions: Border Vol
I'm so d*** sick of people who define everything by RACE. Ridiculous! To me, they themselves are the racist and thus the problem. I live in a neighborhood with black, brown, white and Asian all living together and we all get along just fine like neighbors should. Haynesworth should be completely ashamed of himself for even suggesting that the new AD is racist because he did not consider T. Martin. Maybe he did consider him, maybe he didn't. Only T and Danny White know that.

There is not a BLESSED thing that people of color are denied in this country because of their race or creed! The media has succeeded in making huge segments of the population believe their spew! The term has lost any meaning that it may have had. Are there racists?? You betcha . . . . on both sides, because the media has succeeded in their little tirade to deceive and separate us. GET OVER IT! SHEESH!!!!!
Please, Please talk about something that you know about, not that you're blind about. It's people like you that spews all this stuff, but have never experienced it! Now just for the record, I didn't even read what Albert wrote, because if it's not something I think is gonna be uplifting, then I hit the mute button.

Unbelievable, Albert must have missed all the rumors that we offered a Brinks truck to James Franklin as our #1 and our first coordinator on the list was Tony Elliott. Are they not black enough? I don’t think Tee’s race had anything to do with him not being interviewed
Wireless, I appreciate this post.

Reactions: MikeTheVol

VN Store

Back