Have Randy Sanders skills been overlooked?

Originally posted by tvolsfan@Jul 28, 2005 6:56 AM
you cant really compare that because lsu has bee a defensive team.
[snapback]118750[/snapback]​

Go back and look at their offense. Their defense has just overshadowed their offense

From being an O.C. myself, I'll say this.....Coodinating an offense is a 50-50 deal. You call the plays, which is 50 %......the athletes then must execute the play, which is the other 50%. That doesnt mean that they just hafta run to a certain spot. The same people that want Sanders head do not understand blocking schemes (zone adjustments, pre-snap reads at the line, stem blocks ect...), adjustments at the line of scrimmage, or audibles. Our philosophy is run the ball and the pass will open itsself up. I know it isnt exciting, but I swear (living in kentucky, Lexington, at that......trust me i know) people think that Hal Mummes air raid was the greatest thing ever. Yeah, it was fun to watch, but it also produced 2-9 seasons for UK. We got to where we are by busting a** up the middle, beating you up, and then throwing over your head, and its not gunna change. These guys spend DAYS AND NIGHTS inside a film room writing a script of playcalls that usually get them through the first 8 or 9 series, then its on-the-fly playcalling. Im sure the coaching staff does it no different than we do it. The script comes from the input of all other postion coaches on the offensive staff, with the OC overseeing it all. Its so easy to call plays from the stands, it really is...trust me. Sometimes we run a bubble screen and i think "god randy, why?" but there is a reason why, and its because he has spent his week coming up with playcalls that the coaching staff agrees will work due to what the defense gives them. Sanders is one of the best OC's in the SEC, if not the country. Guys, we dont have Peerless and peyton anymore....not even cosey coleman or chad clifton. What sanders has done is a remarkable job.

Is Randy under appreciated and overlooked for credit?

Absolutely!

Show me a coordinator anywhere who did a better job than he did last year. He won 10 games with 2 freshmen and a transfered Jr.

You also have to remember that he has to fit within the system he's given, which is conservative at times, boring at others, and hugely dependant upon the success of the running attack.

When we have good Oline and average backs he looks great.

When the Oline play is average, regardless of the caliber of the backs, he looks bad.

That's the same with every other OC in the country though.

It takes talent, discipline, and execution.

Originally posted by GAVol@Jul 27, 2005 11:58 PM
Wasn't he a Running backs coach during the Peyton years?
[snapback]118725[/snapback]​

Coach Cutcliffe coached the QBs until his resignation, if I'm not mistaken.

Originally posted by BeltwayVol@Jul 28, 2005 2:25 AM
Actually, if you believe Phil Fulmer, he was just talking about Randy today......

Randy has taken a lot of grief, you know, after the -- he was a hero, Randy, our offensive coordinator, in 1998, he was a hero, basically called the game in the National Championship game was former Tennessee quarterback, '99 he did fine because he had a lot of really good players. We graduated a lot of kids that year. And lost five juniors to the NFL. In 2000 he wasn't such a hero anymore because we were playing with lesser people than we had been playing with, that needed time to develop. Well, 2001 all of a sudden he's a hero again because we are right there in the SEC Championship game: He's a good play-caller, again all of a sudden in 2003, two and 3 all of a sudden it is a little bit different I guess.

Randy did a fabulous job last year with those two freshmen and not giving them too much to do, using the strengths around them, whether personnel strengths, from a formation standpoint trying to keep people off balance and not putting them in positions where they are going to have to make a whole lot of big-time decisions.

Hard to know exactly what Randy did and did not do, but I tend to think that he was calling the game for himself.  I certainly do not think he was "following a script".  Randy is a hell of a coordinator.  I'll give you Jimbo, but part of the success of Randy is his stability and thats something Calloway doesn't have by being at two schools over that span.  Callloway isnt the "O-Coordinator" at UGA anyway.  That pretty much falls on Mark Richt's shoulders a lot more than Calloway's.  But regardless, my point here is that Randy is much better than the "average" Tennessee fan gives him credit for.
[snapback]118745[/snapback]​

Coach Fulmer has said basically this same thing on numerous occasions at different venues. Randy called a brilliant game agaisnt FSU. ABC made numerous cuts to him while doing so.

I don't know if Randy will ever make a head coach but I think we've been fortunate to have a fellow of his caliber for as long as we have. And, he's a Tennessee man. That means a lot.

Old Vol....i think me and you have the same outlook on the situation. Hes without a doubt most under-appreciated piece of the Vol puzzle. I'll call him the Casey Clausen (or IMO, one of the most underrated players in Vol history, Raynoch Thompson) of the coaching staff.....if that makes any sense. He did something last year that most couldnt do. I bet if E.A. were sitting here, he'd prolly credit half of his success to Sanders. He's probably never gunna be a head coach, but he is more than capable of running our offense.

Ainge has been quoted as saying Sanders does a great job with the offense, and quarterbacks specifically.

Well, as someone who has never made her dislike of Randy Sanders' play-calling a secret, I am stepping forward and saying that I am starting to have a change of heart. If Randy Sanders wasn't doing something right, we wouldn't be winning. I just wish he'd put some
"oomph" in the on-field activities. He did that some last year and it was electrifying.

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Jul 28, 2005 10:06 PM
"3 yards and a cloud of dust".
[snapback]118986[/snapback]​

:laugh1: I like that saying...did you make it up?

But heck, I read so many articles on the Vols I could have read it somewhere over the years and it stuck in my memory.
Who knows?

:p

It's a very old saying that goes back to the old days of infantry style football. You probably heard it when you were a little girl in the 1950s.

Originally posted by GAVol@Jul 28, 2005 9:18 PM
It's a very old saying that goes back to the old days of infantry style football.  You probably heard it when you were a little girl in the 1950s.
[snapback]118996[/snapback]​

:eek:

:Bbiteme:

I was born in 1965, I'll have you to know.

Originally posted by Vol67@Jul 28, 2005 9:19 PM
Bottom line since 1999 and Sanders as OC UT has not won a Title
[snapback]118998[/snapback]​

That IS a very valid point that I cannot argue with, except to say that if that was the only criteria for keeping an OC, only USC would have anybody on a regular basis.

I hate USC.

Sorry Milo.

Originally posted by Vol67@Jul 28, 2005 9:22 PM
Litle Girl??? It was when she first started college
[snapback]119004[/snapback]​

Now WAIT A MINUTE!!!

(While I think of a witty and sarcastic comeback.)

Originally posted by GAVol@Jul 28, 2005 10:18 PM
It's a very old saying that goes back to the old days of infantry style football.  You probably heard it when you were a little girl in the 1950s.
[snapback]118996[/snapback]​

Now now GaVol... :nono: We all know our beloved LIO was born in the 30's.

I can only take the old jokes so far. She's only 7 or 8 years older than ME. :yikes: Even though she is 40 and I'm not. :p

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Jul 28, 2005 7:22 PM
That IS a very valid point that I cannot argue with, except to say that if that was the only criteria for keeping an OC, only USC would have anybody on a regular basis.
I hate USC.

Sorry Milo.
[snapback]119003[/snapback]​

It's alright. I am not a big fan of them, indifferent at best, I just rooted for them in the national title game because they are Pac-10. It is the same as any of you rooting for an SEC that makes the national title game.

I can only take the old jokes so far. She's only 7 or 8 years older than ME.  Even though she is 40 and I'm not. 

I also look much better in orange spandex than you.

:Bbiteme:

VN Store

Back