Hat/LawVol

Thanks. Haven't seen Purdue much but aren't they usually a plodding team like much of the Big 10?

And yet, now we're pleased with a hire whose sample side is just as limited and whose success is less?

Except for the postseason run, Martin's success is arguably a little better. He won the MVC, whereas Smart came in fourth in the CAA.

I'm not really "Wow this guy is awful" surprised, it's more of a "Wow of the 361 names we heard in the past week, I don't remember hearing his once" surprised.

I heard it on TOS yesterday:

Xottam: Posted: Yesterday 3:28 PM
Is Cunzo Martin getting any play?
Would like to see us look at him, although I read that he might be Mizzou bound.

I think I saw his name mentioned a week or so ago but yeah, he wasn't widely rumored.

Good Hire. Also very good recruiter. I think we will be alright.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Ok, this is the same crowd that was down on Shaka Smart right? I agreed with the analysis: limited sample size. And yet, now we're pleased with a hire whose sample side is just as limited and whose success is less?

My thing with Shaka Smart is what will happen when all this "us against the world" and "everyone is down on us" stuff wears off ??...He is using it to his advantage now but it won't be like this all the time...

As for Cuonzo Martin, this was a surprise because I was following what was being posted on here...After doing some reading up on him, I'm not down on him...He's a Vol now...So, GO VOLS !!...Welcome Coach Martin...

I guess a completely unknown hire is better than some of the names the "experts" on here have been throwing around the last week. Disappointed we didn't get a splash hire, but it is the reality that it is Tennessee basketball. Smart and Stevens were even out of our league now.

I thought he would end up at Mizzou as I was thinking Painter was using the Tigers to get more money from Purdue. Time will tell if Coach Martin was a good hire but he does have good pedigree.

]http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/article_a42f91ed-964e-5cda-8cfd-21f8632bee26.html[
Good read on the man.

Positive Tidbits:
"I don't like to put labels on any of my players," said (Gene )Keady (Head Coach @ Purdue) , now assisting at St. John's. "But in 50 years of coaching, he's (Cuonzo Martin) the best leader I ever had. We'd make adjustments at halftime, and he'd go out and do them. He'd have everybody on the floor straightened out."

The coaching change (When CCM was hired @ MSU) was especially disconcerting for (Junior Kyle) Weems and 6-9 senior Will Creekmore, the only leftovers recruited by Hinson, who was beloved by his players. But Weems remembered having his trepidation erased during Martin's first team meeting.
"The first day he was here, you just knew he loved what he was doing," Weems said. "He handed out a sheet, let us know how things were going to be, and ever since that day, he hasn't backed up on a single word. We walked out of that room that day knowing we were going be OK."

VN Store

Back