Gun control debate (merged)

Republicans wrote and passed the first gun control legislation, The Brady Bill. A reminder for those of you with selective or short memories. :idea: :eek:hmy:

The real question is which politician's family member is heavily invested in this microstamping company.

Reactions: 2 people
This is from England but it still applies!

Heathrow security confiscate miniature 'gun' from Toy Story Woody figure

Heathrow security confiscate miniature 'gun' from Toy Story Woody figure

The thought of Toy Story character Woody being considered an airport terror threat may seem laughable to most, but not so for the Heathrow security staff who confiscated a miniature toy gun from the doll before allowing it to travel with its owner.
Toystory.jpg

A puzzled father uploaded a picture of the moment staff chose to remove the tiny firearm after examining his Woody figurine.

"I have travelled the world with Toy Story’s Woody, taking pics for my son," the father told Reddit users. "At Heathrow, security just confiscated his “weapon”, keep the world safe boys…"

He added this was the first time he had ever had trouble taking Woody aboard a flight before. "[The] guy didn’t notice me taking the pic", he said. He was actually quite nice [and] tried to see if they would override the rule … but in the end he had to take the gun."

Some Reddit users responded with surprise, while others could not help but drop in the obligatory Toy Story quotes, with one replying: "'Did they find the snake in his boot?"

A spokesperson for the Department for Transport would not comment directly on the incident, but said: "We do not comment on specific incidents or details of our security regime.

They want common sense Gun Laws! its a shame we now have legislate what really should be common sense!

‘Pop-Tart’ gun bill would not punish children with simulated weapons at school
‘Pop-Tart’ gun bill would not punish children with simulated weapons at school

TALLAHASSEE -- The Florida affiliate of the National Rifle Association has a new priority: the right to bear Pop-Tarts.

The group is supporting a proposal that would prevent children from being disciplined for playing with simulated weapons in school.

That includes “brandishing a partially consumed pastry or other food,” according to the bill.

The language refers to a Maryland boy who was suspended for chewing his Pop-Tart into the shape of a gun. He was later given lifetime membership to the National Rifle Association.

The Florida bill would protect schoolchildren who play with imaginary guns, miniature toy guns and toy guns made of snap-together building blocks.

Children would also be free to draw pictures of guns, or hold their pencils as if they were firearms. They could still get in trouble, however, if their play disrupts class or hurts a fellow student or teacher.

“Obviously, we don’t want firearms brought to school in a backpack,” said state Rep. Dennis Baxley, R-Ocala, who introduced the proposal. “But we got into a lot of simulated behaviors and overreacted.”

The proposal won unanimous support on the House K-12 Subcommittee last week, and was immediately christened the “Pop-Tart Bill.”

NRA lobbyist Marion Hammer said the better name was the “Right-to-be-a-Kid Bill.”

“This is about children and not traumatizing children for doing things that kids do,” she said.

Pretty spot on even though it's satire.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixhsuB6xMR8#t=146[/youtube]

Please make it stop!

'Smart' gun control? Dem bill would require all new guns be 'personalized' | Fox News

Sen. Edward Markey has unveiled a gun control bill he says will help reduce firearm violence by requiring all new guns be "personalized" with special features, such as fingerprint-reading technology, so they can only be fired by their owners or other authorized users.

The Massachusetts Democrat says the bill will make it harder for stolen guns to be used in crimes and will reduce accidental firearm deaths by making it impossible for children to fire guns they find Markey said technology already exists to make guns inoperable for unauthorized users.

Exactly two companies in the world produce such devices. And the technology is not tried and tested either. And furthermore, one of the two companies only produces the technology for a single type of weapon out of the thousands of types owned today.

I might not be opposed to this kind of thing if, and I stress IF, the technology was mature and IF the technology is an optional item. Because as we've always seen with every legislation, there will be hidden agendas and the government reaching further and further and taking a little bit of rights at a time. And before long all weapons would be required to have this or be illegal.

Reactions: 1 person
I think making cops' guns respond only to them would be a pretty smart application of that technology, so there's no chance of someone grabbing it and using it against them.

Also makes them even more accountable in deadly force scenarios.

I think making cops' guns respond only to them would be a pretty smart application of that technology, so there's no chance of someone grabbing it and using it against them.

Also makes them even more accountable in deadly force scenarios.

How often does that actually happen? Same percentage of rapists taking away weapons from women and using it against them?

Reactions: 2 people
Please make it stop!

'Smart' gun control? Dem bill would require all new guns be 'personalized' | Fox News

Exactly two companies in the world produce such devices. And the technology is not tried and tested either. And furthermore, one of the two companies only produces the technology for a single type of weapon out of the thousands of types owned today.

I might not be opposed to this kind of thing if, and I stress IF, the technology was mature and IF the technology is an optional item. Because as we've always seen with every legislation, there will be hidden agendas and the government reaching further and further and taking a little bit of rights at a time. And before long all weapons would be required to have this or be illegal.

You could see where this might head. A small chip in the gun to make it "improbable" from a remote like the way they can now shut off modern cars that are stolen. :ph34r:

Often enough for it to be a serious concern among police officers, apparently.

any data to support this?

a key issue with any safety or safety feature is that if it malfunctions or prevents quick use of the firearm can be deadly.

If I was a cop, I'd not use this unless I was 100% guaranteed it absolutely could not malfunction. Even then I'm not sure I'd trust it to work right when needed.

The entire article is worth reading!!

MILLER: Prosecution rests in trial for D.C. man charged for one shotgun shell

The District of Columbia has finished presenting its case on why Mark Witaschek is a danger to society for possessing a single shotgun shell and muzzleloader sabots in his home. This outrageous legal battle shows how far unelected, anti-gun liberals will go to attempt to destroy a man’s life.

When Attorney General Irvin Nathan’s prosecutors rested on Tuesday, they established simply that Mr. Witaschek did not have a registered gun in the city, so he violated the firearms laws by having ammunition.

Mr. Witaschek has never denied these charges, but has said that he didn’t know that inoperable ammunition was illegal. He also insists that his constitutional rights have been violated.....

That Mr Gest fellow makes the guy in CA with the "ghost gun/30rds in half a second" sound intelligent when he's discussing muzzle loading projectiles.

Mr. Gest would only say that, “We know they need gunpowder to shoot. We consider it unregistered ammunition. That is why we are filing this charge.”

That's tantamount to "We know it doesn't have feathers, bill or webbed feet but we're still claiming it to be a duck".

That is absolutely crazy - illegal to have a spent casing?

You should read the reporter/authors series of articles beginning in the fall of 2011 on her insane adventure to get a legal gun in Washington D.C.. It really is a fantastic and at times hilarious read and shows the idiocy of how liberals who run city's like D.C. & Chicago think!

Miller: Emily gets her gun! Part 1

She recently released the series of articles into a book Emily Gets Her Gun: …But Obama Wants to Take Yours

VN Store

Back