Gun control debate (merged)

I will go with fair but hard to determine.
Understood.

You are of the opinion that gun crime safety metrics will improve. Ok.

Are you saying that after removing a subset of guns, that results in fewer shootings/murders/crimes, and a more sensible society - that Progressives (who get their name for a reason) will simply declare victory and go home at that point?

After removing X guns, and getting Y positive results, there won’t be a clamoring to remove 2X guns and get 2Y results?

Understood.

You are of the opinion that gun crime safety metrics will improve. Ok.

Are you saying that after removing a subset of guns, that results in fewer shootings/murders/crimes, and a more sensible society - that Progressives (who get their name for a reason) will simply declare victory and go home at that point?

After removing X guns, and getting Y positive results, there won’t be a clamoring to remove 2X guns and get 2Y results?
There will always be debate.
Some will always believe we have not done enough. Some will always believe we have done to much.
In no way is that reason to do nothing.

There will always be debate.
Some will always believe we have not done enough. Some will always believe we have done to much.
In no way is that reason to do nothing.
Yes, the “we have to do something” mantra.

We were in “we have to do something” mode when we gave birth to the War on Drugs.

I’m of the opposite opinion. That removing the subset of guns in question will have no discernible impact on gun crime rates.

Because the subset of guns in question aren’t used in the overwhelming majority of gun crimes.

So once we remove the subset, and it yields no positive impact - it will simply be time to “do something else”.

We were in “we have to do something” mode when we gave birth to the War on Drugs.

I’m of the opposite opinion. That removing the subset of guns in question will have no discernible impact on gun crime rates.

Because the subset of guns in question aren’t used in the overwhelming majority of gun crimes.

So once we remove the subset, and it yields no positive impact - it will simply be time to “do something else”.

Yes, bingo , and you don’t have to look any further than Canada to see exactly how it would work if we didn’t have the right to keep and bear arms

Reactions: UT_Dutchman

I understand that point of view, but I don't really have a problem with "do somethin else."
What's the harm? Is there something that you currently cannot purchase that is just really bumming you out and harming your quality of life?
And the other big part of my position is the reduction in the number of new guns being added.

Reactions: Pennheel

Make no mistake...this will degenerate into "them" deciding what you "need"...by which I mean "We don't think you need that so obviously we can't allow you to have it.".

It's coming.

Do away with semi-autos and the lever actions, pumps and revolvers will make a big comeback. Revolvers with speed loaders and with a little practice can achieve significant increases in firing rates.

It is the monsters. Not the guns.
I am an absolute killer at 300 yards with a k31 Swiss straight pull.

I can put more rounds on target with that bolt action rifle than I can with any other 30 round magazine fed gun I own.
I promise the k31 Swiss is on nobody’s ban list.

I am an absolute killer at 300 yards with a k31 Swiss straight pull.

I can put more rounds on target with that bolt action rifle than I can with any other 30 round magazine fed gun I own.
I promise the k31 Swiss is on nobody’s ban list.
It is the cult of "We have to do something" even if there is no clue about what "something" is, why or how it is supposed to help.

It is the cult of "We have to do something" even if there is no clue about what "something" is, why or how it is supposed to help.
I've reached the stage of do nothing except to let gun access continue to go wild fir everybody. And then:
Have no truck with the senseless
Just order the guns to kill.

I've reached the stage of do nothing except to let gun access continue to go wild fir everybody. And then:
Have no truck with the senseless
Just order the guns to kill.

It’s never been harder or more inconvenient to legally purchase a gun in the US than it is today so your access argument is BS.

I understand that point of view, but I don't really have a problem with "do somethin else."
What's the harm? Is there something that you currently cannot purchase that is just really bumming you out and harming your quality of life?
And the other big part of my position is the reduction in the number of new guns being added.
A Vols Football National Championship.

Seriously bumming me out!!!

It’s never been harder or more inconvenient to legally purchase a gun in the US than it is today so your access argument is BS.
I prefer bison chips, they make better fuel. If guns are so hard to come by, why is it we have increasing shootings all across the social spectrum? The BS you mention, well 3D printed guns are here now. And there's ALWAYS some greedy capitalist willing to bend and break rules for a profit. You households with multiple guns, even box loads of ammo. You got rightists in favorable positions in the military who shunt and smuggle firearms to their White Supremacist buddies, and so much more than folks like you want to deny or ignore in favor of your rightists fiction and outright lies. Well, as we all know, MAGAs gonna MAGA.

Last edited:
I prefer bison chips, they make better fuel. If guns are so hard to come by, why is it we have increasing shootings all across the social spectrum? The BS you mention, well 3D printed guns are here now. And there's ALWAYS some greedy capitalist willing to bend and break rules for a profit. You households with multiple guns, even box loads of ammo. You got rightists in favorable positions in the military who shunt and smuggle firearms to their White Supremacist buddies, and so much more than folks like you want to deny or ignore in favor of your rightists fiction and outright lies. Well, as we all know, MAGAs gonna MAGA.
so….just making **** up is your plan.

To answer the only real question you had in this drivel:

I dispute your claim that there are more total shootings than ever but maybe you meant mass shootings so to answer that it is because we manufacture mental illness to enrich the pharmaceutical industry.

I dispute your claim that there are more total shootings than ever but maybe you meant mass shootings so to answer that it is because we manufacture mental illness to enrich the pharmaceutical industry.
Attacks are up across the board. Stabbing, blunt instrument, violence assault of all types.
Not a gun problem

Naw, you're just redirecting the discourse away and around your contention it is harder to get guns, which is false. And the greatest gun dangers are from White Supremacist. So bad that the Pentagon is very concerned. Guns are far more readily available than you want to admit. And when it comes illegal possession supremacists (MAGA-bent) folks lead the parade.

Naw, you're just redirecting the discourse away and around your contention it is harder to get guns, which is false. And the greatest gun dangers are from White Supremacist. So bad that the Pentagon is very concerned. Guns are far more readily available than you want to admit. And when it comes illegal possession supremacists (MAGA-bent) folks lead the parade.

I said it has never been harder to LEGALLY purchase a gun.

Nothing you have posted is relevant to that fact.

I once bought a gun from the sears catalog. They sent it in the mail. It was a 20 gauge shotgun and I was 12 years old.

It’s most definitely harder to buy a gun now.
Just stop with the stupidity

I said it has never been harder to LEGALLY purchase a gun.

Nothing you have posted is relevant to that fact.
Oh, that what you said? Alrighty then. Just the same, it doesn't prevent people from purchasing them. Which is how I interpreted your comment, given the original context of our discourse. As exhibited in message # 29,788 ) mine), and 29.789 (yours). This smells like redirecting to discredit, a typical rightist tactic in this forum. That's OK, it's what I expect now, and it remains amusing.

I once bought a gun from the sears catalog. They sent it in the mail. It was a 20 gauge shotgun and I was 12 years old.

It’s most definitely harder to buy a gun now.
Just stop with the stupidity

I never bought one out of a catalog but the first one I ever purchased was from K Mart when I was around 13. No background checks, no ID or anything.

VN Store

Back