Guitars.. What you got?

My son has really taken off with his playing this year. Now, he is looking for his first electric. Problem is: he's a lefty, so my little collection is useless to him. He is thinking a Tele. Are the new $800 Player models decent? He's not able to drop $2000 right now.
get him a righty strat and let him Jimi it.

Sam Ash has some good deals right now.

My son has really taken off with his playing this year. Now, he is looking for his first electric. Problem is: he's a lefty, so my little collection is useless to him. He is thinking a Tele. Are the new $800 Player models decent? He's not able to drop $2000 right now.
Yes, they are absolutely good to go. The Fender player series are fine guitars and you can always upgrade later if you want. Get a good setup on the guitar and it will play awesome. I would check the local craigslist for a used Fender Mexican standard strat or Tele. They can be had for around $500. The line I was told by a Fender rep was: You can buy a Fender made by Mexicans in Mexico or by Mexicans in California. His point being that paying $1000 more extra for a USA strat is really not worth it unless that's what you really want.

Yes, they are absolutely good to go. The Fender player series are fine guitars and you can always upgrade later if you want. Get a good setup on the guitar and it will play awesome. I would check the local craigslist for a used Fender Mexican standard strat or Tele. They can be had for around $500. The line I was told by a Fender rep was: You can buy a Fender made by Mexicans in Mexico or by Mexicans in California. His point being that paying $1000 more extra for a USA strat is really not worth it unless that's what you really want.
I got a MIM strat a few years ago and put in a set of Fender Yosemite pickups for around 100 bucks and it sounds fantastic.

See above: found a good deal on an American with the preferred dark fretboard. He loves it.

Wish I could play it. Dang lefty son....

Apparently the guitar industry is in rough shape and deals to be had…

A new guitar has been added to the family, a Taylor 512ce. I've been in the market for a smaller-bodied guitar for a while now, this one checked off many boxes for me. I'm typically not a huge fan of the Taylor sound (Typically too bright) and tend to gravitate towards Martins, however this guitar had a warmth to it that most Taylors I've played do not. It is a pleasure to play and is extremely easy to play.

IMG_1319.jpg

A new guitar has been added to the family, a Taylor 512ce. I've been in the market for a smaller-bodied guitar for a while now, this one checked off many boxes for me. I'm typically not a huge fan of the Taylor sound (Typically too bright) and tend to gravitate towards Martins, however this guitar had a warmth to it that most Taylors I've played do not. It is a pleasure to play and is extremely easy to play.

View attachment 635148
Beauty. My 614 is my favorite acoustic. I'm actually a fan of the brighter tone, and that neck is butter.

Reactions: Matt2496
Also, the T5 has me trying out all kinds of cool stuff at night. The versatility is honestly amazing.

Beautiful tone. Is it rude to ask approximately what that set you back?
Not rude at all, and I would be wondering the same thing, but I wouldn't want to post it on here. It's built for fingerstyle playing and most luthiers building guitars for this purpose are on the highest price range of acoustic guitars outside of pre-war Martins. A lot of folks would think it's crazy to pay that much for one guitar...and they would be correct. I honestly feel a little guilty for getting it...but for someone like me who's really into expressive fingerstyle, you're going to be chasing a guitar like this. If you're a bluegrass player, then there are better fits for a lot less (outside of said pre-war Martin).

Tom Sands is a former apprentice to Ervin Somogyi, who is considered the father of modern fingerstyle acoustic guitar luthiery, and his build list is booked up through 2027. I was fortunate that he had this one he built late last year as a shop demo and he just added some custom orange touches for me. I definitely got a good deal for one of his guitars, well below his base price, but it was really expensive. My main interest is fingerstyle guitar and I only allow myself to have one nice fingerstyle acoustic at a time...this one was the dream guitar and I've bought and sold other nice ones building up to it.

Fortunately, I have a Heritage musical instrument insurance policy to cover all my gear and now my son's collection (which is already bigger than mine) or I would never own a guitar like this. Knowing it's fully covered even if I trip and fall on top of it is very reassuring. I will say that I pay about $300 per year for the insurance and it's worth every penny...so much better than putting music gear on a homeowners policy that ultimately will fight any claim you submit.

Not rude at all, and I would be wondering the same thing, but I wouldn't want to post it on here. It's built for fingerstyle playing and most luthiers building guitars for this purpose are on the highest price range of acoustic guitars outside of pre-war Martins. A lot of folks would think it's crazy to pay that much for one guitar...and they would be correct. I honestly feel a little guilty for getting it...but for someone like me who's really into expressive fingerstyle, you're going to be chasing a guitar like this. If you're a bluegrass player, then there are better fits for a lot less (outside of said pre-war Martin).

Tom Sands is a former apprentice to Ervin Somogyi, who is considered the father of modern fingerstyle acoustic guitar luthiery, and his build list is booked up through 2027. I was fortunate that he had this one he built late last year as a shop demo and he just added some custom orange touches for me. I definitely got a good deal for one of his guitars, well below his base price, but it was really expensive. My main interest is fingerstyle guitar and I only allow myself to have one nice fingerstyle acoustic at a time...this one was the dream guitar and I've bought and sold other nice ones building up to it.

Fortunately, I have a Heritage musical instrument insurance policy to cover all my gear and now my son's collection (which is already bigger than mine) or I would never own a guitar like this. Knowing it's fully covered even if I trip and fall on top of it is very reassuring. I will say that I pay about $300 per year for the insurance and it's worth every penny...so much better than putting music gear on a homeowners policy that ultimately will fight any claim you submit.
goota admit I looked up some pricing..even if you couldnt play a lick, it is an investment imo.

goota admit I looked up some pricing..even if you couldnt play a lick, it is an investment imo.
It definitely is. His prices continue to go up every year. I remember the story about Jim Olson's guitars becoming so in demand that people who had been waiting for their Olson to get built for about two years were often selling them for twice the price they paid once they finally got them. Once Jim found out, he raised his prices a lot to stop it. I think his base price is $15k now and I often seen them used for $20k or more depending on the woods and appointments. A Somogyi has a base price of about $50k if you can actually get a build slot and they typically go for around $60k on the used market...unless you find an early one from the 80s (before he really refined his voicing) for about $25k. There are definitely rich folks buying them as an investment. That's not me...definitely not rich and I will play this a lot. It's the best mental health care I can buy, as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: kiddiedoc

Totally understood. I finally splurged for a pretty nice baby grand piano a few years ago for some of the same reasons you listed. I have a few nice guitars, but nothing in that echelon. I also consider my instruments a "mental health investment." Once my debt-free plan is completed (hopefully about 1 more year) and my kids are set with college, I would absolutely consider having a custom acoustic designed and created. And, yes, your insurance is a very wise idea.

Congrats, man.... that's an awesome acquisition and will be a family heirloom, for sure. I hope you don't mind if I emulate your orange accents one day!

Reactions: Lloyd_Christmas
Totally understood. I finally splurged for a pretty nice baby grand piano a few years ago for some of the same reasons you listed. I have a few nice guitars, but nothing in that echelon. I also consider my instruments a "mental health investment." Once my debt-free plan is completed (hopefully about 1 more year) and my kids are set with college, I would absolutely consider having a custom acoustic designed and created. And, yes, your insurance is a very wise idea.

Congrats, man.... that's an awesome acquisition and will be a family heirloom, for sure. I hope you don't mind if I emulate your orange accents one day!
Would love to see it. If you get to the point that you're looking for the right luthier for what you want, I would be happy to suggest a few. I've had several luthier built acoustics and played many more at different price ranges. The acoustic guitar forum's custom shop section is always loaded with drool-worthy build threads and good for research (bad for the wallet).

VN Store

Back