Great Middle School Programs in the State.

No, he's #8. Were you at the game tonight? Alumni Band? He played some cornerback andwas the quarterback at the end of the game.

Yep! Was playing with the middle-schoolers tonight :hi:

Was fun to watch.

Any word on the injured player?

I'm not sure what happened but he was released last night.

Thanks for drowning out, I mean playing with the middle schoolers. What were you playing? BTW, some of the kids in the JMS band are pretty disrespectful to the band director. They don't listen to him at all.

Last edited:
Powell won the Knox county championship in the HS division the last 2 years in a row. Only lost 1 game over the 2 year time frame.

I'm terms of football? Robertsville. It's one of two middle schools that feed into oak ridge. They r historically a very good team. Another good school, more specifically in b ball is science hill. They r nothing short of impresive. Very well coached
Posted via VolNation Mobile

To years ago my 8th grade year we played Sicence Hill in the middle School area tourny (state tourny pretty much) and lost to them by 6, this was in the final 8. I can honestly say we could have beat them by 20 but we couldn't throw the ball in the ocean that night.

Powell won the Knox county championship in the HS division the last 2 years in a row. Only lost 1 game over the 2 year time frame.

In Knox Co. 8th Grade this year Central beat Hardin Valley 32-30 to advance to championship to face #1 seeded Fulton. Should be a good game Thurs Nov 3..... I was told this is Fulton's 4th straight year in 8th Grade Knox Co championship.

Well Central lost 28-6 to Fulton, two good teams, game was closer than score. Future should be bright for both high schools. #5 RB from Central was REALLY good!!

Macon County's Jr High program usually turns out 7 or 8 wins in every season. They are always in the running for their conference championship. Unfortunately, it does not always translate to success on the high school gridiron.

In Knox Co. 8th Grade this year Central beat Hardin Valley 32-30 to advance to championship to face #1 seeded Fulton. Should be a good game Thurs Nov 3..... I was told this is Fulton's 4th straight year in 8th Grade Knox Co championship.

Fulton plays in a different division. The teams are separated into separate divisions. Not sure why. Last year, we wanted to play Fulton to declare an outright champ and they would not play us.

Fulton plays in a different division. The teams are separated into separate divisions. Not sure why. Last year, we wanted to play Fulton to declare an outright champ and they would not play us.

I highly doubt Fulton would not play they play a gauntlet of a schedule each year (outside Knox Co). What team were you referring too they would not want to play? I'll call one of there coaches and ask.... I remember in 2010 Powell would not play them after the division championships so Fulton played runner-up Farragut and beat them (a week after the season). Fulton had just beat Catholic in there division championship 36-6 (a team who beat Powell few weeks earlier). I followed them pretty close in 2010 b/c they had a really good team that year and my neighbors nephew played and he went to EVERY game (to my knowledge). This year (2011) I didn't follow anyone just asked a few sources from time to time on how all teams in Knox Co were doing. Fulton, Farragut, Hardin Valley, Central and West all had solid teams I was told this year....

I'm referring to the Middle School team last year (2010 team - Senior Midgets). We played in a bowl game the beginning of the year which Fulton won. We were the champs of the H.S. division and they were champs of the independent division and we tried to get a game after the championship games were finished. They would not agree to the game because basketball had started.

I'm not bashing Fulton, so I'm not sure why you are so upset. I simply said they played in a different division and we tried to get an overall champ but couldn't. Feel free to call their coach. You are flat wrong about Powell not wanting to play, it is the other way around. Maybe that is what Fulton said, but the fact is (and I know for a fact) we tried but they would not agree. I was one of the coaches so I would know. Maybe you are thinking of a different year?

There is no denying they were a great team. However, we vastly improved from the bowl game which we lost as we played a lot of teams out of state as well. I think it would have been a great game and I was disappointed it never happened.

Last edited:
I'm referring to the Middle School team last year (2010 team - Senior Midgets). We played in a bowl game the beginning of the year which Fulton won. We were the champs of the H.S. division and they were champs of the independent division and we tried to get a game after the championship games were finished. They would not agree to the game because basketball had started.

I'm not bashing Fulton, so I'm not sure why you are so upset. I simply said they played in a different division and we tried to get an overall champ but couldn't. Feel free to call their coach. You are flat wrong about Powell not wanting to play, it is the other way around. Maybe that is what Fulton said, but the fact is (and I know for a fact) we tried but they would not agree. I was one of the coaches so I would know. Maybe you are thinking of a different year?

There is no denying they were a great team. However, we vastly improved from the bowl game which we lost as we played a lot of teams out of state as well. I think it would have been a great game and I was disappointed it never happened.

I'm sure it would have been a good game Powell was solid that year from best of my memory, I'm sure they improved as did Fulton I'm sure. I was told that the bowl game played earlier in year was a 2Q jamboree and the score was 28-12 and Fulton played w/ out there horse (who was best player in whole league) #4 Campbell who started EVERY game for the high school this year as a Frosh... I talked to one of there coaches today and he said per Powell Coach Lacey last year "we've got so many in b/ball I don't know when we could play it" and it was left at that is what the coach told me, he said Powell was a good team and wished they could have played he also added "we (Fulton) played Farragut the week AFTER your championship game and beat them 28-0" so I'm quite sure they were not the ones who chose not to play otherwise why would they have played Farragut a week later in a pointless game... Its he/she said stuff at this point I'm sure it would have been a good one, it would have taken a GREAT effort on Powell's part to beat that team I watched them alot they destroyed Catholic in championship game (with there horse playing). He did say in 2009 Catholic could not play Powell for b/ball reasons maybe that was the year your referring too.... Best of luck to your high school Friday night.

Keep supporting your future and coaching thats great you do that I'm sure its fun. How do you do this year?? I heard Fulton was good again (didn't see them this year) and beat Central for Championship this year seams like there in it every year. I had a friend from Central he kept me updated with them they appear to have some really good players coming.

Interesting because Lacey told us it was because Fulton was playing b-ball. Well, it's water under the bridge and we missed out on a good game. They did beat us in the bowl game - we were awful. We were not even close to the same team at the end of the year.

I didn't coach MS this year because my son is a FR at Powell High School. Thanks for the best wishes and let's hope they win a state championship tomorrow night.

Interesting because Lacey told us it was because Fulton was playing b-ball. Well, it's water under the bridge and we missed out on a good game. They did beat us in the bowl game - we were awful. We were not even close to the same team at the end of the year.

I didn't coach MS this year because my son is a FR at Powell High School. Thanks for the best wishes and let's hope they win a state championship tomorrow night.

Well with Fulton playing Farragut a week after the championship (reason they played Farragut was b/c Powell said they could not play) I tihnk that tells all there about who could not play. But anyways all is done now....

Go Powell tomorrow bring home the gold ball....

The best Middle school team( aka Rec League team) is the Central Bobcats Coached by Trewhitt and Jones. They have at least 4 kids comming into Central this upcomming year that will start JV and one could play Varsity as a freshman. All those who dont know the name J Howard better learn fast, Cause he is a star in the making at Knox Central and this incomming class will lead the Bobcats back to Greatness.

No, they finished 2nd behind a Cheating Fulton team. They had two kids on that team that were over 6'4, and i know in my heart that they were Illegal. If anyone says different their lying. But getn back to that Central team, They made the Championship game every year since they were 6 yrs old. won some, lost some but mark my words this group of kids will bring Central back to 9, 10 win seasons and maybe go to State.

Dickson Jr. High went undefeated like 12-13 years in a row. Don't think they lost a game during the 90's. Coached by Jackie Bledsoe, they won something like 110 in a row. It was 7th thru 9th grade at that time. Been so long ago I don't remember specifics...but it was very impressive.

No, they finished 2nd behind a Cheating Fulton team. They had two kids on that team that were over 6'4, and i know in my heart that they were Illegal. If anyone says different their lying. But getn back to that Central team, They made the Championship game every year since they were 6 yrs old. won some, lost some but mark my words this group of kids will bring Central back to 9, 10 win seasons and maybe go to State.

Thats pretty harsh to call someone a "cheater" and not know your facts. Central was a solid team I seen the championship - good game. Onside kicks hurt Central! Your heart is WRONG!!! I know two coaches on that team and I KNOW they wouldn't pull that stuff, take your loss like a man. I called one of the coaches (Fulton) he laughed and said "thats no surprise of that accusation" and I asked info on the twin towers they had and he said they had four kids with good heights (so not sure which two you were talking about) they only had one 6-4 the other three were all right around 6-2 he said. Alcoa Middle had five kids over 6-2 so it is possible to have a big team.

#1 (TE/DE) Richard Wynn 8th Grader @ Whittle Springs

#8 (TE/DE) Matthew Walker-Gayle 8th Grader @ Whittle Springs

#99 (OL/DL) Bryston Howard 8th Grader @ Bearden Middle

#5 (WR/S) Joe Kimber 8th Grader @ Vine

All four will attend Fulton in the fall and will be Freshmen so I'd safely say there future looks even brighter as is #34 and several others attending Fulton this fall... Its unfortunate you felt cheated b/c you weren't they beat ya fair and square. Central had a RB who was really good, cat quick. Maybe he's the kid you referenced above he's tough. Fulton RB #34 was pretty dang good too (different styles). The kid from Central didn't have any help he was a one man band (offensively), Fulton out athleted and won the battle upfront (Central OL vs Fulton DL) that was 2nd bigest difference in the game IMO.

Best of luck to all those young men at their respective high schools. Will be interesting watching them devolope over the next four years.

Dickson Jr. High went undefeated like 12-13 years in a row. Don't think they lost a game during the 90's. Coached by Jackie Bledsoe, they won something like 110 in a row. It was 7th thru 9th grade at that time. Been so long ago I don't remember specifics...but it was very impressive.

What happened when they got to high school? Not asking out of spite or anything, just curious. I'm a Henry County fan, and I know our varsity rivalry with Dickson County has been pretty even through the years (HC leads the all time series 18-17, or something really close like that). The reason I ask is because I know we have some good middle school programs, but nothing nearly as dominant as what you mentioned above. Just strange how they weren't more successful than they were at the varsity level. Outside of the state title run they had in '87 or '88, I don't know if I've ever seen DC make a deep playoff run.

Thats pretty harsh to call someone a "cheater" and not know your facts. Central was a solid team I seen the championship - good game. Onside kicks hurt Central! Your heart is WRONG!!! I know two coaches on that team and I KNOW they wouldn't pull that stuff, take your loss like a man. I called one of the coaches (Fulton) he laughed and said "thats no surprise of that accusation" and I asked info on the twin towers they had and he said they had four kids with good heights (so not sure which two you were talking about) they only had one 6-4 the other three were all right around 6-2 he said. Alcoa Middle had five kids over 6-2 so it is possible to have a big team.

#1 (TE/DE) Richard Wynn 8th Grader @ Whittle Springs

#8 (TE/DE) Matthew Walker-Gayle 8th Grader @ Whittle Springs

#99 (OL/DL) Bryston Howard 8th Grader @ Bearden Middle

#5 (WR/S) Joe Kimber 8th Grader @ Vine

All four will attend Fulton in the fall and will be Freshmen so I'd safely say there future looks even brighter as is #34 and several others attending Fulton this fall... Its unfortunate you felt cheated b/c you weren't they beat ya fair and square. Central had a RB who was really good, cat quick. Maybe he's the kid you referenced above he's tough. Fulton RB #34 was pretty dang good too (different styles). The kid from Central didn't have any help he was a one man band (offensively), Fulton out athleted and won the battle upfront (Central OL vs Fulton DL) that was 2nd bigest difference in the game IMO.

Best of luck to all those young men at their respective high schools. Will be interesting watching them devolope over the next four years.

Sorry to let you know that 3 kids on that Alcoa team are 15.

I am 14 and I go to Blackman Middle and our girls team won the Sectional Tournament 2 years in a row and has a girl that will be ranked nationally next yea in basketball

In response to ilovemedoicy. Look, Its cool that you watched that game. But I dont care which of them Coaches from Fulton told you that load of crap. Its funny, as I was leaving the first game between Central and Fulton, one of the Fulton players asked his teammate" hey, are you gona be at the next game?" Now explain this, IF he was on that team, why would he NOT BE AT THE NEXT GAME?????????????? Its ok, Fulton Dont want any of Central. They were scared when Coach Helton was there and they're scared now. Coach Black if your on here, GROW A SET, call coach Hassel and lets do a home and home. But Im sure that will never happen:finger3:

In response to ilovemedoicy. Look, Its cool that you watched that game. But I dont care which of them Coaches from Fulton told you that load of crap. Its funny, as I was leaving the first game between Central and Fulton, one of the Fulton players asked his teammate" hey, are you gona be at the next game?" Now explain this, IF he was on that team, why would he NOT BE AT THE NEXT GAME?????????????? Its ok, Fulton Dont want any of Central. They were scared when Coach Helton was there and they're scared now. Coach Black if your on here, GROW A SET, call coach Hassel and lets do a home and home. But Im sure that will never happen:finger3:

I don't speak BS only facts! Thats why I'm careful what I post... I was told that after they played Central first time (@ West) they were to play Montgomery Bell Academy that afternoon at Fulton. If your ever around teenage kids (esp in inner city) they will say/ask anything!! By the way I asked and MBA drubbed Fulton later that same day. I know in your heart it makes you feel better about your loss but I can assure you 10000% that you lost to a legit team. I even provided the names of the "bigger" athletes and the school they attend now and where they will attend in future if you need to do any detective work.

And as far as Coach Black wishing to "make that call" I've heard from many sources that when he begins working on new schedule his first call is to Central!! Thats hearsay!! I'm sure future is bright at Central but I can tell you that its probably brighter at Fulton (no disrespect just honest opinion) the 8th Grade team has went undefeated in Knox Co two years in a row and in '09 lost to a (Todd Kelly Jr & Vic Wharton - Catholic team) by 2 points in the championship so thats three stout classes in a row!! So I'd safely say Fulton will make some serious noise the next few years (they went 8-5 this year with ALOT of young guys playing), they just need a QB..... Best of luck to Central I know one of the coaches there I am pulling for them to get it back going, I'm sure they will!! I know some of the kids on the HS team there also (good kids) always root for them to do well just have a closer tie to Fulton..

Hands down. The best middle school coach in west tn is Randy Franks of Tigrett in jackson tn. He coached Al Wilson, Bo Hardegree, and numerous other Vols at football. He has had more undefeated seasons than anyone west on the tn river.

The Overton County Jr. Wildcats had an amazing run through most of the 90's including several undefeated seasons and at least a 30+ game winning streak from '94 through '97. Coach Melton, Peterman, Franklin, and Gore did a great job up there and had an awesome run.

VN Store

Back