Governor: State deficit could cancel LSU football

Stupid. LSU football makes more money than most businesses in that state.

The athletic program itself is self-supported and has PLENTY of money. The problem lies in that if the academic side of the school closes, the players won't have classes to attend, and would ALL be academically ineligible.

I highly doubt it happens...but if it did, I can actually see the NCAA using common sense for once (gasp!) and letting players transfer without sitting.

Reactions: 1 person
Typical liberal politician BS! Guarantee there are billions of dollars being wasted due to pet projects and downright corruption. Yet, this prick does what they all do....try to win the public relations battle by telling people he's gonna cut the most important, public, recognizable programs and services. They ought to impeach that a$$hole ASAP and put a grown up in charge.

Reactions: 3 people
Typical liberal politician BS! Guarantee there are billions of dollars being wasted due to pet projects and downright corruption. Yet, this prick does what they all do....try to win the public relations battle by telling people he's gonna cut the most important, public, recognizable programs and services. They ought to impeach that a$$hole ASAP and put a grown up in charge.

Don't turn this political. A Republican played a crucial role of getting them into this mess. It goes both ways.

The real topic here is the possible implications on the 2016 football season. Fournette would be at Alabama so quickly that our heads would spin.

Reactions: 5 people
LSU football is probably the *ONLY* profitable government institution in the entire state. This would be like Saudi Arabia or Venezuela threatening to stop producing oil.

This is a power grab, plain and simple. If he were really concerned about the state budget, he'd plan to cut subsidies to every other football program in the state other than LSU. Cutting LSU football would actually make the state budget even worse.

Reactions: 2 people
Don't turn this political. A Republican played a crucial role of getting them into this mess. It goes both ways.

Give me a break.

Louisiana had issues well before Bobby Jindal. This is all about collapsing oil prices coupled with a reckless pension plan put it place decades ago. Nearly every union-friendly state made these unrealistic pension promises back in the 60's, 70's, and 80's, and now the problems are starting to spiral out of control. These plans guarantee retirees aggressive return assumptions (e.g. 7% - 8% returns on investment) that were made back when inflation was much higher. In a world where treasury bonds yield 2% (rather than 10% or 18%) this simply isn't realistic. Couple that with the oil price plunge, and you have a fiscal crisis in Louisiana.

The real topic here is the possible implications on the 2016 football season. Fournette would be at Alabama so quickly that our heads would spin.

Just stating a fact. And this entire thread/topic is 100% political. It's a common political maneuver by politicians who want to raise taxes.....and those are almost always, 99.9% of the time, Democrats. Btw, there is zero chance that LSU football, or any other in state football program, gets shut down this year. The governor's pathetic statement is 100% a political maneuver that has no legs.

Just stating a fact. And this entire thread/topic is 100% political. It's a common political maneuver by politicians who want to raise taxes.....and those are almost always, 99.9% of the time, Democrats. Btw, there is zero chance that LSU football, or any other in state football program, gets shut down this year. The governor's pathetic statement is 100% a political maneuver that has no legs.

you can damn well guarantee the Governor & legislators won't take a pay cut to help

just a thought, but I wonder if the NCAA would allow LSU players to attend a private school in the area and that count? Kinda like Vandy and Peabody, and by kinda I mean not really at all. Keep the kids in class, finding their majors would be an issue among other logistical ones, keeps them on football scholarship. which is profitable.

it would be interesting to see but could set very dangerous precedent for the NCAA going forward as far as students athletes staying students.

As opposed to increasing spending and cutting taxes? Kicking the can down the road for someone else to deal with it? Unfortunately, taxes are needed to fix roads and other things that civilized nations need. The roads and infrastructure don't magically fix themselves.

I'm sure the LSU boosters who were ready to pony up $20+ million to buy out Les Miles will bail out the athletic program. :blink:

As opposed to increasing spending and cutting taxes? Kicking the can down the road for someone else to deal with it? Unfortunately, taxes are needed to fix roads and other things that civilized nations need. The roads and infrastructure don't magically fix themselves.

Figures. Your take here is about as brain dead as all your others.

Blaming Bobby Jindal for Louisiana's history of corrupt politics and business practices is like blaming a fat person's obesity on the last sausage and cheese biscuit they ate.

Right On! I lived in that gawd awful state for two years with Edwin as govenor. It has to be the most corrupt of the 50 (maybe second behind Illinois).

The state shuts down. Maybe there will be a second Louisiana Purchase. What country wants them? Highest bidder? Lol

The state shuts down. Maybe there will be a second Louisiana Purchase. What country wants them? Highest bidder? Lol

the State of McDonalds (formerly Louisiana). their fight song becomes the McDonalds jingle and the fans have to chant "I'm loving it". mascot becomes Ronald McDonald and corn-burgers become a game day tradition.

the State of McDonalds (formerly Louisiana). their fight song becomes the McDonalds jingle and the fans have to chant "I'm loving it". mascot becomes Ronald McDonald and corn-burgers become a game day tradition.

I like it. This politics thing is easy. Louisiana is officially out of debt. Good job. :)

VN Store

Back