Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

Woolworth's in Western Plaza and White Way in Bearden Center. Also Henderson-Floyd in BC.

Bought a lot of comic books and packets of Topp's baseball cards in those places.

Wade's Bakery in BC too.

Since the UG and Boiler Room have already been mentioned, let's not forget Lord Lindsey. I've heard convincing haunting stories from a few people that worked there.

What's the place on the strip. Was it club knox for a while maybe? It seems like it changed names a lot but I might be wrong. Idk, can't remember. Those were a few silly times.

I havent seen Flamingos, O'Charleys Sports Bar or Charlie Peppers yet

Edit: Used to start some Saturdays at BW3 in the Old City then head to UG.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Some have been mentioned - some haven't

Antonio's - spent a ton of time here; delicious pizza buffet and his hot daughter waitresses. Pretty good place for cocktails too.

Darryl's - Billy Scarlet Jazz Quartet for happy hour - order drinks "Manhattan or Martini" style and they were big pours for the same price. The more you know...

Casa Guiardo (sp?) - Across from Darryl's and home of the Why Not margarita - 7 shots of tequilla. One of these and the free chips and salsa made for a cheap meal and buzz.

Blue Circle

Ali Baba's - steak in sack. Grabbing a beer out of the cooler.

Shakey's

The billiards place in that strip mall off Kingston Pike (can't recall the name but it's there's theater back there and it's kinda near the Hooters on KP)

Vic and Bills

Pickle U Pub

Hobo's

Bundooleys (sp?)

Tap Room

OCI

more to come

Darryl's..where we all went after prom :)
Judy's Lounge...nice place for lunch when I worked over on Middlebrook
Pop's Place..open 24/7 and they carmelized onions and steamed buns for their sliders
Casa Gallardo? sp Loved that place...seem to remember they had a Mexican buffet
Helmas..only because that was the first sit down restaurant my parents took me to

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Downtown West. Brunswick might have been the name of the billiard place.

Beat me to it. Brunswick Billiards. Catch a movie at the theater, walk across to Gatti's for a couple of slices, then across the lot to BB for a few games of 9-ball.

Speaking of pool, there was a great little place called Felt Physics on Forest Park near Toddy's. Went there often.

Hannahs

La Petite Chalet

Barrentines

General Earth Food Store & Juice Bar (Food, Shelter, Hang Gliders & Skate Boards)

Cumberland Gap

Leather Carrot

The Odyssey

Smokeys

The Orange Peel

Fox Theater

Millers on Gay Street
(Heck- Gay Street circa 1968 when it was thriving as downtown)

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Knixville Drive In
Twin Aire Drive In
Dixie Lee Drive In
Terrace Tap House
Fox Theater
West Town Movie Theater
Park Theater
Kingston 4
Cedar Bluff Theater

Knoxville Drive-In in Knoxville, TN - Cinema Treasures

Back to the theaters again...

Never went to the Knoxville drive-ins, didn't move to Knoxville till mid-80s. But I loved going to the Terrace Tap House (beer & cigs during the movie!), especially the weekend Rocky Horror shows.

I had completely forgotten about the Cedar Bluff theater, always thought it was a dreary s***hole (much like the Capri). And the Kingston 4 was showing its age by the late 80s as well.

Every time I think about the WesTown theater, I think about going to see The Last Temptation of Christ there with a horde of belligerent protesters yelling at everyone who walked toward the box office. One guy by himself in the parking lot, away from the others, stopped my roommate and calmly explained his views. My roommate listened politely, thanked him, and we walked away toward the theater. The guy said, "And you're still going in there?" We said yeah, and the guy said, "Then you're going to hell." We laughed and my roommate said, "See you there!"

The Half Shell (Homberg at Mohican)
Regas
Putt-Putt on Papermill Road
Ramada Inn across from West Town
The Last Lap
The UT Student Center
Stokely Athletics Center
Ali Baba's Time-Out Deli
Athletic House
Deane Hill Country Club
Falafel Hut
Taco Rancho
The Orange Tee driving range
Hanna's Restaurant
The Campus Inn bar
Pero's
The Snake Snatch Lodge
Darryl's 1879 on Bearden Hill
Shakey's Pizza

Hanna's, wasn't that Jack Hanna the famous zoo guys family's place?

Hannahs

La Petite Chalet

Barrentines

General Earth Food Store & Juice Bar (Food, Shelter, Hang Gliders & Skate Boards)

Cumberland Gap

Leather Carrot

The Odyssey

Smokeys

The Orange Peel

Fox Theater

Millers on Gay Street
(Heck- Gay Street circa 1968 when it was thriving as downtown)

I remember going to Millers before West Town opened.
I have to ask, what was the Leather Carrot?

Back to the theaters again...

Never went to the Knoxville drive-ins, didn't move to Knoxville till mid-80s. But I loved going to the Terrace Tap House (beer & cigs during the movie!), especially the weekend Rocky Horror shows.

I had completely forgotten about the Cedar Bluff theater, always thought it was a dreary s***hole (much like the Capri). And the Kingston 4 was showing its age by the late 80s as well.

Every time I think about the WesTown theater, I think about going to see The Last Temptation of Christ there with a horde of belligerent protesters yelling at everyone who walked toward the box office. One guy by himself in the parking lot, away from the others, stopped my roommate and calmly explained his views. My roommate listened politely, thanked him, and we walked away toward the theater. The guy said, "And you're still going in there?" We said yeah, and the guy said, "Then you're going to hell." We laughed and my roommate said, "See you there!"

I think that same guy approached me about not seeing Willy Wonka.

VN Store

Back