Give me your best solution

In most cases, the deepest pockets are already getting the best recruits. Look at the top 10 classes from the last 5 years and tell me who is doing it with a small recruiting budget.

you saw what smu boosters were doing when it was against the rules.

what do you think would happen across the country if it wasn't against the rules.

You know as well as I do that most people aren't just choosing random numbers.

she's got a point though. most schools have certain numbers that are held by multiple past all-americans.

who gets the cash from the sale of a #16 tennessee jersey, peyton manning or the guy currently wearing 16?

Reactions: 1 person
Let's see. Free Room. Free Meals. Free Classrooms. Free Books. More Free Meals.

If I were to be persuaded to grant athletes any kind of "spending" money, it would come in the form of a student athlete loan. The NCAA would have to set nationwide limits for all athletes and if you graduate from that college, perhaps you have a gradual scale that says all graduates only have to pay back 75%. If you drop out or get booted off the team, you owe 100%.

Last thing we need to do is GIVE the money away, as it will have zero value to the kids.
The problem is that you're assuming that it's the school's money to GIVE away as opposed to money that's OWED because it's made on the backs of the players to begin with.

Reactions: 2 people
she's got a point though. most schools have certain numbers that are held by multiple past all-americans.

who gets the cash from the sale of a #16 tennessee jersey, peyton manning or the guy currently wearing 16?

I'd assume all jersey sales would have to be lumped together and every player would just get a percentage. Really, we'd probably be talking about a cut of the licensing fee vs. actual jerseys sold.

you saw what smu boosters were doing when it was against the rules.

what do you think would happen across the country if it wasn't against the rules.

Are studentt athletes already eligible for Pell grants and other financial aid? Do you ever see emaciated bags of bones returning punts or dunkin Bballs? If you have pleasesend us all a picture.

i would favor a solution tied to graduation or classroom performance.

i would also be in favor of a loss of the stipend or percentage of the stipend due to a guilty or no contest verdict to a criminal charge and/or a failed drug test.

i would favor a solution tied to graduation or classroom performance.

i would also be in favor of a loss of the stipend or percentage of the stipend due to a guilty or no contest verdict to a criminal charge and/or a failed drug test.

They might be able to get out front and institute some requirements, but I'm not sure it would hold up in court. Whether they're good students or good citizens, there's still the issue of making money off the player's effort and likeness.

Ok VN, although I am opposed to paying college athletes in concept because they are already being paid in the form of a free education, I also realize that this idea is gaining acceptance and will be an eventual reality in college sports.

With that said, I would like to hear what solutions you have for how to get this done in a fiscally responsible way that addresses problem without turning the system into a farm system for the NBA/NFL. My solution is below:

Alot of athletes, like Nappier of UConn, complain that their jerseys are getting sold but they don't see any of the money, and they end up not being ables to eat, etc., the same with TV revenues. So, my solution would be this: Any retail company selling jerseys or paraphernalia with a reference to a specific player must turn a certain % over to the school (20-30%?). The school in turn must take that money and use it this way - 50% will go towards meal plan improvements and upgrades for all athletes of that school, and 50% will go in a trust fund for that specific athlete that he can recoup upon graduation or leaving the program. That way the athlete CAN profit from the sale of their own jersey, its just delayed until they graduate/leave. TV revenues can be treated the same way. If ESPN broadcasts a football game between UT and UF (example), then a certain % of the revenue from that broadcast must go to UT and UF, and that money will be split into meal plan upgrades for athletes, and trust funds for each player of the team that was broadcast that they can recoup upon graduation or quitting the team or leaving the program. If, however, they decide to cash in their trust fund at any time while still eligible, then they cannot play D1 football/basketball again and thus give up their eligibility.

Ok, tell me where I'm crazy.

1) Make it illegal to sell a jersey with an amateur athlete's name on it.

2) If you want to exchange your services as an athlete for an education worth tens of thousands of dollars, do it. If you don't want to do that, stay at home and wash cars, flip burgers, or sell drugs. If you don't want to do any of those, the rest of us will pay to keep you up.

3) If you are basically illiterate and will receive no value from a college education, you shouldn't be in college in the first place. If that is the case, stay at home and wash cars, flip burgers, or sell drugs. See #2 above about keeping you up.

They might be able to get out front and institute some requirements, but I'm not sure it would hold up in court. Whether they're good students or good citizens, there's still the issue of making money off the player's effort and likeness.

yeah, that thought was in a perfect world scenario.

most people really agree on this, i just think it's a situation where you can't be a little pregnant.

i think most people don't have a problem with players getting extra money to take care of incidentals.

people have a problem with the whole notion of "employee".

You know as well as I do that most people aren't just choosing random numbers. The jersey has value because of the player who wore it.

That's exactly my point. So is my jersey because of Eric Berry (that my son bought for me last Mother's Day) or Eric Worley (who was actually on the team last Mother's Day).

HMMM , let the folks who are actually effected by this , worry about it ? This effects NO-One but the players and the BOT . I understand that many people donate/support UT . But mostly I see complaints from people who are FAR in the rearview mirror .

Let us see , our star QB had to take money , God knows for what purpose , one of our dline men took money to feed his family .

Then there is the infamous " TACO " case . get real or get stuck in the past with the REST of History .

Last edited:
I guess the issue I have is people making money off of the players. I have no idea how you fix it. But college football is a gazillion dollar industry because of the athletes on the field. And I'm not sure who all is getting the money for it, but it isn't the players.

I guess the issue I have is people making money off of the players. I have no idea how you fix it. But college football is a gazillion dollar industry because of the athletes on the field. And I'm not sure who all is getting the money for it, but it isn't the players.

it's some employees of the athletic department.

but, for the most part, it's the volleyball team, the track and field teams, the swimming and diving teams, the soccer team, the tennis teams, etc, etc, etc.

that's who's getting the money. there is no owner or stockholders in this deal.

it's some employees of the athletic department.

but, for the most part, it's the volleyball team, the track and field teams, the swimming and diving teams, the soccer team, the tennis teams, etc, etc, etc.

that's who's getting the money. there is no owner or stockholders in this deal.

No, it's the merchandisers.

Simple solution. The NBA should drop the one and done rule and expand the draft. If you are good enough, you can play in the D league right away.

The NFL should have to begin a minor league system. It makes no sense for a kid who has no interest in an education to have to go to college for three years just to get a shot at the NFL. Plus, I would love to have a spring football league affiliated with the Titans in Chattanooga.

Reactions: 2 people
Pay them minimum wage for the 20 hours that they can spend on football each week. Seems fair since they can't get a job.

Pay them minimum wage for the 20 hours that they can spend on football each week. Seems fair since they can't get a job.

Can Vereen get time and a half for overtime or does he have to work walmart style (off the clock)? :)

Because they aren't qualified, or because there are no jobs, or because there are illegals who will work for less ?

Can Vereen get time and a half for overtime or does he have to work walmart style (off the clock)? :)

UT better be glad I'm not rich and live in Knoxville cause I'd hook em up with whatever they wanted lol. But of course straight cash homie!!!

Because they aren't qualified, or because there are no jobs, or because there are illegals who will work for less ?

I'm pretty sure they're not allowed to have jobs because years back booster's would hire players for way too much money and pay them for hours that they didn't work. So the NCAA said they could work if I remember correctly.

. . . who are paying a hefty licensing fee to the school. That's where the player's cu would come from.

"Hefty" is being generous. If you don't think the distributors are making the bang, then you aren't looking close enough. Who do you think is capitalizing more on the EA Sports stuff, the school, or the manufacturer and distributors? Hint: It isn't the school.

VN Store

Back