Georgia Scout

vol66

GBO!!!
Staff member
UGA has had our number and the last two years have been painful. Two years ago UGA won the series in Knoxville and due to the weather that meant they won one game. Last year they took the series down in Athens after the Vols won game one. In game two Ryan Lawler went the distance, pitching a complete game, and the Vols lost 4-1. We lost in the finale 7-4.

UGA pitching has had a couple of notable injuries and the most significant is the loss of RS Jr. RHP David Sosebee, their Sunday starter. He is 2-1 with a .180 ERA. The other pitcher lost to injury is Robert Tyler, combined the two have logged 34 innings on the season.

This brings us to Sr. LHP Jared Walsh, (2-0, 0.86 ERA). He has not been in the weekend rotation and as good is that ERA looks (leading the SEC), that's not what scares me. The "LHP" is what scares me. I don't know where to find the stat regarding our BA versus RHP compared to our BA versus LHP, but I bet it's not good. Walsh will be getting the ball for UGA on Friday. Walsh is a legit two way player sporting a .299 BA. For the seventh time in his career, first time this season, he will start as pitcher/DH.

Then on Saturday, like last year, we will see Lawler. He too is a lefty with a 2-3 record and a 3.28 ERA.

They have not determined the pitcher for Sunday yet but they have a number of options... I expect Sean McLaughlin Jr. RHP, with the second most innings pitched this season, to get the call. Last year's Friday starter, Jared Cheek, has been used in the closer role this season.

UGA's team ERA is 3.53, which is misleading due to their 16-4 loss at Mercer in the midweek game two days ago. They had been under 3.00 prior to that game. In their first SEC match up they were swept by Mizzou at home and in game three of that series they were shut out 6-0.

So, the Dawgs are on a four game losing streak as they head to Knoxville and they probably aren't in the best of moods.

Overall they are 12-9 (0-3) and they are 0-4 on the road thus far. Their RPI is 151, 2nd worst in the league. They average 5.8 runs per game while allowing 4.2. Their Team BA is .286 and this marks the first time in recent weeks we've gone up against a team that is sub .300.

On the other hand, our .265 Team BA, isn't putting fear into anyone, coupled with our .956 Fld. %...I reckon the Bulldogs like their chances. They've been fairly good in the field (.974), 2nd baseman Mike Bell has 6 E's on the season. 1st baseman Zach Bowers leads the team with 6 home runs and as a team they have 21 to our 11, though UGA has four more games under their belt. Some might remember Stephen Wrenn from last season, he leads the dawgs in hits while Nick King (.344) leads the team in BA.

Their low RPI is a reflection of their schedule, but they did take a series from FSU early in the season.

Every SEC team is a tough out, but as SEC teams go this is an important series for us...and it is for them too. I don't think getting in a hole this week, with a 7 game road trip including Vandy and Ole Miss looming, is where our team wants to be.

If we pitch to our capabilities, play cleanly in the field and fix whatever it is on the base paths we can take this series.

We're due some good baseball.

GBO!!!

Reactions: 3 people
I've got my Big Orange glasses on and think the BaseVols take 2 of 3 from UGA.

Not being greedy, I'd take 2 out of 3 right now. Of course, a sweep would be ideal and go a long way in helping the conference record.

Last edited:
Not being greedy, I'd take 2 out of 3 right now. Of course, a sweep would be idea and go a long way in helping the conference record.

I think UT should be able to do well against them since Mercer beat them 16-1.

Thanks VOL66. Well, for all of us "Gump" Vol fans. It's almost time to open up that box of chocolates. :)
Two out of three would be huge for us. :crossfingers:

GO BASEVOLS!

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back