Game Thread SEC Tournament Game 2

The next step Holly needs to take as a coach is to figure out how to win in the tournament. She got out coached by Blair today. This was a winnable game.

We had the wrong players on the court and we didn't do anything to get on track offensively.

Congrats to A&M.

We kind of faded down the stretch this year which is what was expected. I don't think we make it too far in the NCAA's. We have gotten about all this team has to give.

Now it is time to heal, recruit and reload for next year. Holly needs to look at the NCAA's as a learning experience this year.

They aren't running the offense that is being called. They are tired and it show up in not setting screens. Kamiko got called for a foul on the last one we tried to set.

You don't not run the offense because you're tired. This is Warlick's fault! If she thinks she's going to beat a good defensive team by having Simmons and Burdick go one on one, she's crazy. I'm sorry but that's bad, stupid coaching. If Spani hadn't had a career day, we'd have lost by 12. You have to run an offense, set picks and get your shooters open shots. Instead, they tried to beat their defenders individually and we're throwing up bad shot. Terrible coaching.

The next step Holly needs to take as a coach is to figure out how to win in the tournament. She got out coached by Blair today. This was a winnable game.

We had the wrong players on the court and we didn't do anything to get on track offensively.

Congrats to A&M.

We kind of faded down the stretch this year which is what was expected. I don't think we make it too far in the NCAA's. We have gotten about all this team has to give.

Now it is time to heal, recruit and reload for next year. Holly needs to look at the NCAA's as a learning experience this year.

is a big problem, no question. But you can't beat good teams running the idiotic offense we ran today. You can't even call it an "offense." Throwing the ball to somebody and hoping they can beat a tough defender and somehow score is not an offense. I have NO IDEA what Warlick is thinking. The thing is, we've got three or four good shooters--but you need to run an offense, set screens, move the ball around so they can get good shots.

We had this game won at 50-40, but Massengale gets ball taken away from her in open court for A&M layup and the game was on the way to A&M as we quit hitting; got some pathetic calls; and team just didn't have the guts to gut it out.

Shame Spani played a great, great game, but her teammates did not feel like helping out. Hate we have given it to Kentucky.

We stood and watched more than we played. Basketball is not a spectator sport for players.

I was watching the game on mute at a bar, but Jasmine Jones hit a two and was fouled by Bone, I thought, and then it was waved off. Then Graves, drives, gets fouled by Bone, shot goes in and then wave it off. Traveling maybe. I don't get it because I didn't see a travel. Anyway, those were some big calls that could have changed the momentum.

You don't not run the offense because you're tired. This is Warlick's fault! If she thinks she's going to beat a good defensive team by having Simmons and Burdick go one on one, she's crazy. I'm sorry but that's bad, stupid coaching. If Spani hadn't had a career day, we'd have lost by 12. You have to run an offense, set picks and get your shooters open shots. Instead, they tried to beat their defenders individually and we're throwing up bad shot. Terrible coaching.

How likely do you think it was that Holly told them to go out there and play one on one? I don't think it likely at all. That is what happens when the players without the ball are not moving like they should be.

No, I think Holly needed to play Ariel less and Burdick more. We needed the extra size and rebounding and Cierra hits the sort of shot that A&M was leaving open. I also think putting Moore in hurt us.

But what it comes down to is that the coach at UT has to win these sorts of close games in tournament time. That is when the cream rises to the top and we didn't rise today. There were lots of things we could have done to finish a point ahead instead of a point behind.

Blair is a wily coach and he got the better of us today. Holly needs to learn from this because I think this one is on her. But she improved a lot from last year to this year so now she needs to take the next step. She will learn a lot from her first NCAA tournament as head coach.

I was watching the game on mute at a bar, but Jasmine Jones hit a two and was fouled by Bone, I thought, and then it was waved off. Then Graves, drives, gets fouled by Bone, shot goes in and then wave it off. Traveling maybe. I don't get it because I didn't see a travel. Anyway, those were some big calls that could have changed the momentum.

Bone got away with a lot of fouls today... no doubt.

But Holly had to find a way to finish this game out. She didn't. It was very winnable and we let it get away.

I am really proud of this team. I think they now have the time to regroup and get their defensive swagger back. We really missed Izzy down the stretch because of her rebounding and defense under the basket. Regardless we won the regular season SEC and were in the NCAA Tourney and the future is really bright for Tennessee.

The POY didn't show up today. That inconsistency is maddening.

Holly needs to develop the ability to think on her feet during games. She probably knows what she should have done, but that doesn't come to her until the game is over.

Also, FWIW, if winning the SEC got us a #2 seed in Baylor's region whereas losing gets us a #3 seed in someone else's region, I think I prefer the #3 seed :)

I would have liked to see more of Jasmine today. She was hustling and shooting well.

The phantom walk called on Graves when she made the shot and was fouled by Bone was the turning point in the game.

Bone got by hanging on our backs all game.

That's the second awful wrong call Bashaara has got screwed on that potentially has cost the game. The first was against KY when she got hacked and they called her for an offensive foul. It's one thing to get fouled and not call it, but to not only NOT call it and then throw in an extra wrong thing like offensive foul or traveling is just bush league and costing us games.

That's the second awful wrong call Bashaara has got screwed on that potentially has cost the game. The first was against KY when she got hacked and they called her for an offensive foul. It's one thing to get fouled and not call it, but to not only NOT call it and then throw in an extra wrong thing like offensive foul or traveling is just bush league and costing us games.

It's almost like they think she is Glory Johnson the way they are giving her the stink eye.

In fairness, there were a lot of really bizarre calls in that game. A&M had two girls fight over a rebound and knock it out of bounds when we had no one around and they still got the ball.

It seems like the officiating has gotten worse as the season has gone along.

It was a disappointing day today. We had the game won and gave it away with the turn overs. Burdick's two missed free throws loomed big. In reference to playing Jasmine Jones more and you wouldn't be able to see it on TV was that Jenny was working on her back most of the time she wasn't in the game. She was in pain but gutted it out to play as much as she did. I don't know if they showed it on TV or not but at the end of the first half after the teams went to the locker room, Holly went ballistic on the officials. I mean she went off. The finally pulled her away and back to the locker room. Simmons was a no show for much of the game. Once her head gets screwed up, she's toast for the rest of the game. Coach Law pulled her to the side and talked a long while and she made a couple of plays after that but soon afterward she had the ball stolen again and it was downhill from there. Kamiko was crying her eyes out when she left the court. She felt she lost the game at the end by missing that shot. Graves took the loss hard also. This team will be much better next year. The staff will have been together longer and hopefully we will be healthy. Let's make a good run in the NCAA's and GO LADY VOLS!!!

Reactions: 1 person
It was a disappointing day today. We had the game won and gave it away with the turn overs. Burdick's two missed free throws loomed big. In reference to playing Jasmine Jones more and you wouldn't be able to see it on TV was that Jenny was working on her back most of the time she wasn't in the game. She was in pain but gutted it out to play as much as she did. I don't know if they showed it on TV or not but at the end of the first half after the teams went to the locker room, Holly went ballistic on the officials. I mean she went off. The finally pulled her away and back to the locker room. Simmons was a no show for much of the game. Once her head gets screwed up, she's toast for the rest of the game. Coach Law pulled her to the side and talked a long while and she made a couple of plays after that but soon afterward she had the ball stolen again and it was downhill from there. Kamiko was crying her eyes out when she left the court. She felt she lost the game at the end by missing that shot. Graves took the loss hard also. This team will be much better next year. The staff will have been together longer and hopefully we will be healthy. Let's make a good run in the NCAA's and GO LADY VOLS!!!

Thank you for all of the good information. I wonder what Holly was chewing the officials about? I saw some bad calls but it just seemed like their typical level of incompetence where bogus calls are more or less the norm.

This bunch does not like to lose. That is good if they can channel it.

Holly kept talking about not getting a stop at the end but what we really needed were some baskets. No one showed up offensively besides Taber. Our guards had the ball stripped a couple of times when they tried to penetrate and after that they wouldn't try it again. They would stand out there with the ball... and then get it stolen that way. They had scouted Simmons well and were prepared when she tried to drive the lane.

A&M changed their defense later on and we could have driven to the basket at will. We passed up several opportunities to do that because we were gun shy.

And yeah, thinking back, I thought Burdick missing the free throws was huge.

Holly was really upset with the play near the end of the first half where Bone was over Kamiko's back for a rebound. She felt they were getting away with a lot of fouls underneath without getting called. Just before that Graves got shoved down on the flat of her back and there was no call. The officials were going at each other early on in the game. I've never seen that. The black lady ref had to pull the blond lady ref away the guy ref early in the game. It seemed like he had a I'll show them attitude the rest of the game. I thought the traveling call on Graves near the end did us in. I think we would have won without that call. I was shielded from the play so folks watching on TV would know better than I whether it was a good or bad call. Don't misunderstand,I'm not saying the refs cost us the game. They didn't, but they didn't help either. We lost the game. Too many turnovers and defensive lapses at the end and it seemed we were frantic on the offensive end. The turnovers and letting A&M drive the lane lost this game. Congrats to the Aggies.

Yeah, I was mystified as to why no one would step up and stop penetration. I know we were slumping to double down on Bone but you have to stop the ball.

BTW, I noticed each of those calls you mentioned. I couldn't see the walk call on TV since the players shielded it some but thought it was probably wrong at the time.

Lady Vols 2012-13 SEC Champions

Lady Aggies 2013 SEC Tournament Champion

Lady Cats (picked to win SEC) = nothing, and won't go deep in NCAA

They have this "40 minutes of hell" marketing gimmick they use at UK but today you see the downside--those ladies had nothing left in the tank in the second half.

I am glad they lost because as someone with family in Lexington you would have thought listening to them that UK had dethroned UT atop the SEC food chain.

They have this "40 minutes of hell" marketing gimmick they use at UK but today you see the downside--those ladies had nothing left in the tank in the second half.

I am glad they lost because as someone with family in Lexington you would have thought listening to them that UK had dethroned UT atop the SEC food chain.

And Matthews was substituting freely while A&M played the starters almost the entire game and they still had enough to outplay the kitties.

i think it came down to a lack of depth,they have looked tiered in the last couple of games,a lack of a post player,Izzy being out has hurt a bunch,more depth is needed,here is to wishing them a good run in the Tournament

VN Store

Back