Game Thread Lady Vols vs Syracuse in the Elite 8

TN is in some good company w/Stanford ND SC all watching from the sidelines this year.

Need to recruit pg that can handle the ball a shoot the ball Cooper is not the answer. We have Jordan but she is limited on the offensive end Tyasha Harris ? 2016 looks like she is still out there.

I think we have to admit that a lot of the players on the team are way overrated. I would say that Diamond is the only legitimate five star player and everyone else falls in the two and three star category. I think Russell could be a five star if she had an aggressive attitude I fear she will never have that mentality.

After you see this video you will not give DD a 5 star player.
https://youtu.be/hn94RDXi2I4

Reactions: 1 person
Thus is the worst season of basketball i have ever seen from a group of preseason top 5 team ever. These girls had no clue HOW TO WIN today. Unprepared. Coaches fault. Played scared and unaware of how to handle pressure. Coaches fault. Played loose with the ball and didnt value the ball. Coaches fault.

Reactions: 3 people
This program has fallen so far since Pat! Not too long ago we would get upset if we were not playing for a championship just about every year! It's sad that our program cannot compete with the upper tier.

The bottom line is the coach! He/she get's the credit when we win and they rightfully get the blame when we lose. Holly followed the greatest of all time and she has proven over the last SEVERAL YEARS she cannot compete with the elite. Time for a change or we are not going to get out of our current medoricty. Holly tried, Holly failed, time to move on!

To be honest the decline started with Pat. He LVs haven't made a Final Four since Candace was playing.

I think we have to admit that a lot of the players on the team are way overrated. I would say that Diamond is the only legitimate five star player and everyone else falls in the two and three star category. I think Russell could be a five star if she had an aggressive attitude I fear she will never have that mentality.
without good coaching, no young player becomes an AA. Without good coaching, no young AA remains that way.

Some of you guys are ridiculous.

Even before Warlick became HC, programs around the country were closing the gap in talent, coaching, and even how much money they spend on their Lady basketball programs.

It's been a while since the Lady Vols have been to the Final 4 and Warlick was not HC during all of those misses. In her first few years as HC, she's done what most programs have been unable to do in their entire history.

Someone mentioned the similarities with CP Fulmer's last years on Rocky Top. I think we'd be wise to also remember what happened when he left - especially considering the success Warlick has shown in her first few years. This team is not far from winning another title.

Tennessee isn't most programs. She just coached this team to the most losses in school history and the lowest seed ever.

Reactions: 5 people
Thus is the worst season of basketball i have ever seen from a group of preseason top 5 team ever. These girls had no clue HOW TO WIN today. Unprepared. Coaches fault. Played scared and unaware of how to handle pressure. Coaches fault. Played loose with the ball and didnt value the ball. Coaches fault.

It has been all season.

What HC would have a marginal starter in Nared as the point forward in their offense with a double high low post against a zone D with only a couple of players on her team capable of making 3 pointers at a 33% clip?

Holly.

After seeing how well pushing the ball with a real PG worked for 3 straight games, as well as in the first quarter of the current game.

What HC apparently cannot understand game films enough to know how to dissect a Syracuse zone played against less height and shorter arms than you start throughout your line-up?

Holly.

Maybe she should watch the men's UVA team do it to the men's Cuse team today.

Reactions: 2 people
To be honest the decline started with Pat. He LVs haven't made a Final Four since Candace was playing.

To be honest, the decline probably started with the onset of Pat's mental condition. It was more clear by the end, but it likely impacted her behavior and coaching in the intervening years.

Tennessee isn't most programs. She just coached this team to the most losses in school history and the lowest seed ever.

This needs repeated a thousand times over for those whose expectations are lower than what is expected of a real LV fan.

Reactions: 4 people
Some of you guys are ridiculous.

Even before Warlick became HC, programs around the country were closing the gap in talent, coaching, and even how much money they spend on their Lady basketball programs.

It's been a while since the Lady Vols have been to the Final 4 and Warlick was not HC during all of those misses. In her first few years as HC, she's done what most programs have been unable to do in their entire history.

Someone mentioned the similarities with CP Fulmer's last years on Rocky Top. I think we'd be wise to also remember what happened when he left - especially considering the success Warlick has shown in her first few years. This team is not far from winning another title.

So, you accept mediocrity? (And might I point out, you have just insulted the Lady Vols that have come before.)

Pat was not really herself for the last few yrs.

To be honest, the decline probably started with the onset of Pat's mental condition. It was more clear by the end, but it likely impacted her behavior and coaching in the intervening years.

I agree completely. I was just pointing it out that it was even before Holly (not trying to defend her by any means).

Our decline definitely started at least four years before PS retired, perhaps because of her condition. Not only did our recruiting fall off pretty badly--but PS was not a good offensive coach and our program basically got left in the dust by the offensive evolution of the game. Unfortunately, Warlick, who's not the sharpest knife in the drawer (and that is being diplomatic) has done nothing to arrest our decline. She's not a good leader or coach--and she has failed to understand that you can't be crap offensively and win consistently anymore. She still thinks it's 1985, still talks constantly about defense and rebounding. I thought she did improve our recruiting her first year or two, but this year has been a recruiting disaster. There are a LOT of good players out there--most of them not necessarily top 50 ranked recruits--but we are not getting enough of them. I don't know who spearheads our recruiting but she is doing a poor job. We are basically in a mediocre holding pattern until the AD finds a dynamic, kick-ass coach and staff.

Losing Reynolds hurt us pretty bad. Cooper had 0 assists and 5 turnovers today, and played some horrible defense in the first half as well.

We lost this game today because of the difference in how we handled the press from Ohio State compared to Syracuse today. We passed the ball up the court & got open looks for Mercedes & others against OSU. Today, we tried to dribble through the press of Syracuse which obviously is a much better pressing team. Carter was awful at trying to dribble through & around every trap. Cooper didn't do much better either but at least she did make a couple of decent decisions on the press.

Diamond was forced to try & take the complete load that 2nd half. She too felt the pressure & at times dribbled too much but hey she felt the weight on her shoulders after all the turnovers Syracuse was forcing in us trying to dribble the dang ball through & around everybody.

Syracuse was impressive today but no way we should lose to that team that bad. That little Peterson guard we had absolutely no answer for period. They also hit almost everything they shot today. We on the other hand don't have the 3pt shooting to compete with that pressure type zone. No doubt the press was our biggest problem but the half court zone also caused us major problems. Mercedes was nowhere to be found today.

Syracuse took her completely out of the game today unlike the very game before with a similar type defense. Syracuse was just better at doing it than OSU. Syracuse & Washington should be one heck of a matchup in the Final Four. Peterson vs Plum should be fun to watch but I wished our Lady Vols would have advanced or at least made a game out of it.

Syracuse was the much better team today but I think we could still beat them with Reynolds on the court & playing our best. That didn't happen today & congrads to Syracuse on making their 1st ever Final Four.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back