Game Thread Lady Vols vs Arkansas

There are many reasons to fault Holly,but,taking care f players' health is not one. We,as fans,are disappointed when our Lady Vols don't play well or lose the game. Radical comments and speculation do not help our team or the players. That said,I know that other posters in another forum have forwarded some things that could have gone unwritten.
Now,just my observations on this team and what I have seen. Pride is sorely lacking on this set of players. That is not only team pride,but pride in oneself as a player and teammate. Over more years than I care to enumerate,there have been many instances of teams losing an intregal part and other players rising to the occasion and producing good results. Today through three quarters,the only Lady Vol that did was Alexa. Mercedes did okay,but did not elevate her game as much as she should have. I know,it's hard to do while being held,pushed and shoved,but she should have dominated. Fourth quarter Jaime would have been nice to have for all four quarters. Team pride should have made MeMe and Jordan up their game to help offset the loss of Diamond. Did not happen. Our Ladies end up playing three on five a lot.
Now for more specific things:
This team should always play zone defense.
Harris should play some minutes and be told to block shots and rebound.
Dunbar should get more minutes in relief.
Nunn and Russell should be on the floor together more.
Reynolds should play wing more minutes.
Jackson should do away with histrionics and play smoother. She is a good leaper,but expends too much energy trying to out jump everyone and it affects her shooting touch. And someone like CJ needs to let her know to slide her feet more,rather than jumping continuously up and down when on defense.
Middleton,Nared,DeShields,and Russell need to continue to elevate their game Russell should dominate.
Coaches should allow team to play to strengths of their players and insist on fundamentals done correctly.
Have noticed for several games now that there are players who would rather give the ball away than pass to a certain teammate. Coaches should have seen this and taken care of whatever the problem is.
The bottom line is PRIDE in self and team should be a prerequisite for all the players and coaches pride less teams are beaten before they take the floor.
All this from an old codger who has spent sixty or more years competing,coaching,officiating and watching basketball,baseball,and softball teams perform,underperform and over perform.
Just some thoughts of mine for all to think about.

Reactions: 1 person
She'll work on it this summer

But, I agree, she has to learn to cradle the release and soften it at the glass on a breakaway. There are good drills for this

Jumper, I usually agree with everything you have, because you seem to be more knowledgeable than most, but if a player that's a player for a D-1 team in college can't make a break away layup, why in the hello is she on this team? I've never coached basketball past elementary school, but I guarantee you my girls could make a break away layup. No excuse!

Jumper, I usually agree with everything you have, because you seem to be more knowledgeable than most, but if a player that's a player for a D-1 team in college can't make a break away layup, why in the hello is she on this team? I've never coached basketball past elementary school, but I guarantee you my girls could make a break away layup. No excuse!

I do not know Meme's training now, but I know what it was when she was young...Much of Meme's initial game, was self-taught. She saw and emulated the boy's movements in the gym. . . Meme is the type of athlete that you have to be able to reveal to her her weaknesses, and then have a plan on how to fix them.

Her athleticism got better over the summer, her game did not. She has moments where she shines, but "consistency comes from proficiency"...

On that missed breakaway, she let the ball go too hard against the glass. Her technique was good, but her familiarity with this type of full-speed opportunity was lacking...This tells me she doesn't practice making full-speed layups at full speed.

We won period conversation over no need to defend it . Also I am glad Dunbar is getting minutes so we you guys can see that she is not the answer

We won period conversation over no need to defend it . Also I am glad Dunbar is getting minutes so we you guys can see that she is not the answer

It took an extended look for me to see this as fact.
But I still think I could find a role for her.

Arkansas is a hustling team but not a very good team. Today we survived a lot of poor decisions. I can't figure out why we do not take 10 and 15 footers when teams give them to us while they gang up on Russell. Sometimes there are as many as three players sagging on Russell, at least two Lady Vols are, or should be, open. We simply do not consistently play very heady basketball. Thank God that Middleton was hot and Nard found her shot.

What I don't understand is when Mercedes is getting mugged by three or four players why her teammates stand outside and watch?

My high school coach taught us that when the person guarding you turns their head to look for the ball or sag off on another teammate is when you go straight to the goal !!!!!!!!! Our players might as well be in the stands or at the concession stand getting a hot dog! Or they could go talk to Holly and help her scratch ? Basketball principles 101 😈

Reactions: 2 people
What I don't understand is when Mercedes is getting mugged by three or four players why her teammates stand outside and watch?

My high school coach taught us that when the person guarding you turns their head to look for the ball or sag off on another teammate is when you go straight to the goal !!!!!!!!! Our players might as well be in the stands or at the concession stand getting a hot dog! Or they could go talk to Holly and help her scratch ? Basketball principles 101 😈

Great points for sure...I will add... Be sure to pay these prices and pay no more.

The change to a zone defense with three minutes left in second quarter was the difference in this game!

Why do you wait for half of the game to be over???? And you lose Narrd with two fouls in the second quarter????? And when Middleton is playing you need to play zone!!!!!

Good decision to change defenses but when the game is half over and we should have beaten them in the first few minutes instead of the last quarter!!!

I'm thinking we didn't switch to zone earlier because that negates so much of our individual athletic advantages over Arky's girls. I'm guessing the switch came when fatigue had begun to effect our shooting (ala the Bama game). If so, it was done when it was done to burn more clock at that end of the court in order to preserve the lead. The staff figured we'd have a better chance of adding points from the free throw line than from the field. Plus, those are moments of rest without leaving the game.

Credit the staff for a lesson learned from previous games. Coaching at Tennessee means not having much experience playing with only 6 or 7 players!

I'm thinking we didn't switch to zone earlier because that negates so much of our individual athletic advantages over Arky's girls. I'm guessing the switch came when fatigue had begun to effect our shooting (ala the Bama game). If so, it was done when it was done to burn more clock at that end of the court in order to preserve the lead. The staff figured we'd have a better chance of adding points from the free throw line than from the field. Plus, those are moments of rest without leaving the game.

Credit the staff for a lesson learned from previous games. Coaching at Tennessee means not having much experience playing with only 6 or 7 players!

You use zone to rest your players, hide a weakness or if I don't think the opposing team can shoot over it. Other than that, it is man. The reason for this is simply... "Great man-defenders make good zone defenders, but great zone defenders make bad man-defenders".

Zone gave them a chance to both rest and use Dunbar and Qui low effectively . . . The only adjustment I would make to that zone-set would be to stagger Cedes and Qui.

For some reason I would like to see what this team could do with a legit point guard with real leadership skills and capable of making good in game decisions. A point guard with outstanding facilitating skills. I don't think this would make up for coaching issues,but I think it would improve a lot of the on floor mistakes. A lot of our loses have occurred because we lacked the floor leadership that all good teams need to control the game and bring a calmness when things get out of control.

I agree, I wounder how Holly reviews game DVD's. Does she see all the standing around and the lack of aggressive play and ignore it or address it and the team ignores what she tells them to do? If the latter is true Holly has an issue getting buyin and respect. There is a breakdown somewhere.

My high school coach taught us that when the person guarding you turns their head to look for the ball or sag off on another teammate is when you go straight to the goal !!!!!!!!! Our players might as well be in the stands or at the concession stand getting a hot dog! Or they could go talk to Holly and help her scratch ? Basketball principles 101 ��

I vote for the LVs at the concession stand getting a hot dog. I hope the dogs are Nathan's.:)

I think PG play will improve tremendously next year with talent. it's up to the coaching staff to elevate that talent to Final four level play. I expect Nared to play at Diamonds level next year with or without DD. I think she has the skill to be a top 5 draft pick.

I think PG play will improve tremendously next year with talent. it's up to the coaching staff to elevate that talent to Final four level play. I expect Nared to play at Diamonds level next year with or without DD. I think she has the skill to be a top 5 draft pick.

I agree with you.... need a stud PG, but how to develop that person? I would like to think we have the coaching ability to develop but I haven't seen that promise.... even in recent history... Massengale was the second coming, to the point that Pat guaranteed her the starting job even before she got to campus... but when she graduated I am not sure she was any better than when she arrived.... Final four level play is a dream at this point i think....

I saw that UConn coaches are working hard with Dangerfield with different PG skills, footwork and other things... I wish we had similar improvement plans in place for our players.

I think a lot of player past and present go to personal trainers to better their skills. Izzy improved tremendously over her senior summer thanks to a personal friend of hers that played and I'll leave it at that. To be honest I think the coaches should mentality train as well by going up to visit that guy up north. I see no reason not to at this point. If you want to slay a dragon you have ever to study a dragons patterns. I highly doubt we do that because of our bitter past with them.

VN Store

Back