Game Thread Lady Vols vs Alabama

That was said LAST year! And the year before...

But, really, THIS was going to be the primo year.

This was the first year where there were no excuses. If one is to believe that Diamond/Te'a created chemistry issues, or Jordan sucked...then that's all in the past. They had an elite PG, the supposed best center and wing in the country, and talented freshmen providing supporting roles. And with all this, they are still a middle of the pack SEC team. There are no more excuses.

In all seriousness, this year's team is the best it will be for a while, unless Kasi turns into a beast. They will not have Mercedes Russell, their get-out-of-jail-free card that they can dump the ball into for 2 easy points or who soaks up 3 defenders. Those easy looks that Rennia Davis is getting this year will be gone once MR and Nared are gone. Then the Holly supporters will curse Rennia for being a ball hog and taking bad shots when her FG% invariably plummets like Nared's did this year without Diamond to attract the opposing team's best defender. Next season, they have the potential to not just be another average team, but to be an actual bad team if there isn't adequate player development from their inside players.

Reactions: 6 people
I doubt they win at Florida. Florida is doing so much with so less and have a very promising young coach. They played Texas A&M close on the road last night.

They also hit a ton of threes. I still think Tennessee should win, but nothing is a given with this team. If MR doesn't absolutely own the middle, I can see them losing.

Not gonna lie. This one really hurt.

It seems like very few of our hs AA play frequently consistently at that level. Do they take it for granted? Do they not have something to prove?

I have to laugh at the SEC tv announcers and their proclamations of future WNBA stars.

The Lady Vols lost to Alabama 3 straight times. But the 4th time on The Summitt hits a nerve like no other time.

Tennessee will be history like LaTech, USC, Old Dominion et al.

Makes me angry that Holly won't let go of the reigns. It is obvious that she does not know what she is doing!

Brick by brick she is tearing down what Pat Summitt took a Decade to build.

Holly is stubborn and I can understand her pain and humiliation with stepping down from a program that is her life. But she has to let it go in order for Tennessee to remain a powerhouse. Quit for Summitt, Holly!

Please!
GOLadyVols!

Reactions: 7 people
It seems like very few of our hs AA play frequently consistently at that level. Do they take it for granted? Do they not have something to prove?

Just like every new group of top recruits that have come to Tennessee in the last many years, once they come to realize that no-one on the bench knows any plays outside of "run the floor" and "get it in to Russell," they mentally throw in the towel.

This is not the fault of the players. This should be obvious to everyone by now.

Reactions: 4 people
And Coach Jumper will tell us he sat a couple rows behind the bench and DEFINITELY saw at least 1 coach talking to at least 1 player. . We got that 20 season win in the bag. WUTEVA it's all good

Not with this one PG...

If I am on the floor, as a player and my team endures an 18-4 run and a 14-1 run without the bench taking a timeout,,,while the opposing bench takes two timeouts to stop our 15 pt run…I'd be pissed.

I have coached girls for 37 years. I don't care if they're 15 years old or 25 years old,,,they will shut down and give you nothing else, when they lose faith in you.

CHW says: "We were flat and I don't know why"...
I do.

I have done everything possible to show support for CHW because I am a Lady Vol supporter. . . Now the players are beginning to shutdown...That is where I draw the line.

Reactions: 7 people
If the players are unmotivated and shut down, the season is over. If they can't beat a vastly inferior team on their home floor, they're certainly not going to beat Mizzou, UF or SCAR. These teams want to win and are going to put forth the effort. If the LVs don't, they'll get steamrolled. There's not a single SEC team that can't beat them if they continue to play like they did last night.

It's a vicious cycle. If the players lose faith and shut down, the fans are going to lose faith in them and shut down their support. That's not good for the program, now or moving forward.

I don't think all that would happen. They would have to be incredibly unlucky and unmotivated for that. I think worst they can do is a 5 seed. I think they are still in the picture for a 4 seed for the NCAAs. Unless they lose to someone awful in the SEC attorney I think they are okay. They probably beat Missouri and South Carolina could go either way.

Thanks for the shot of courage, however, the Lady Vols, if they play like they did against Alabama,they will get their ass kicked by both USC and Missouri. To be successful this team needs to be motivated and perform with maximum effort. Holly admitted that she does not know why this team does not play with maximum effort. She has said many times over the last six years, that you can’t coach effort. I agree with Holly 100%. I was a high school coach for 13 years and I never tried to coach effort, I demanded effort. That is what I love about Genno he demands excellence or your view will be from the bench or on another team.

We have had as many 5 star players as any of the top 10 teams, however, we simply do not play up to the level of our talent. We have more talent on this team as Mississippi State, however, the difference is coaching. It is apparent that though Holly is a good person, she simply can not match wits with top ten coaches and she has a difficult time keeping her team motivated.

I'm hoping the LVs draw somebody like Uconn or Notre Dame in the first round. It won't be pretty, but I'll consider it a mercy killing. Hell, it might do more good for the program that we realize.

Your wish won't be realized. Lady Vols are way too good a team, even when they don't play to their potential, to draw a 15th or 16th seed.

I'd be surprised if they aren't a 4 seed, unless they really sleepwalk through the last few games.

Last edited:
Not with this one PG...

If I am on the floor, as a player and my team endures an 18-4 run and a 14-1 run without the bench taking a timeout,,,while the opposing bench takes two timeouts to stop our 15 pt run…I'd be pissed.

I have coached girls for 37 years. I don't care if they're 15 years old or 25 years old,,,they will shut down and give you nothing else, when they lose faith in you.

CHW says: "We were flat and I don't know why"...
I do.

I have done everything possible to show support for CHW because I am a Lady Vol supporter. . . Now the players are beginning to shutdown...That is where I draw the line.

Coach J, I think this goes hand in hand with having freshmen who,at the beginning of the year,played their game and had not had the"throw it inside" browbeaten into them. They played with joy and fearlessness. Now they have been beaten down to where they are afraid to shoot the ball or play aggressively. Too much thinking and not enough just letting loose and playing hard. Maybe the coaches and players will realize that and react positively. But it will have to come from either one of the freshmen or MeMe,because the others lack the aggressive mindset needed.

Reactions: 1 person
Coach J, I think this goes hand in hand with having freshmen who,at the beginning of the year,played their game and had not had the"throw it inside" browbeaten into them. They played with joy and fearlessness. Now they have been beaten down to where they are afraid to shoot the ball or play aggressively. Too much thinking and not enough just letting loose and playing hard. Maybe the coaches and players will realize that and react positively. But it will have to come from either one of the freshmen or MeMe,because the others lack the aggressive mindset needed.

The team that went on that magnificent run exists. . .
It was there for four minutes in the 4th when we went on a 15-0 run yesterday...... If the can play at that level for 4 minutes they can do it for 40 minutes!

Was anybody there to see the re-entry of the players at the half....It was deafening.

Our girls walked in..................WALKed!

I would have sent the group back through the tunnel and made them re-enter.

You said a mouthfull Ben..."Too much thinking and not enough just letting loose and playing hard"......Makes me wonder what it is they are thinking about?

Back then they were glad to be here.

Your wish won't be realized. Lady Vols are way too good a team, even when they don't play to their potential, to draw a 15th or 16th seed.

I'd be surprised if they aren't a 4 seed, unless they really sleepwalk through the last few games.

As inconsistent and as unaggressive as this team is, they could easily lose their first game as a 4th seed. When in the hell is Russell going to play a full game? I think her game laziness is affecting the team. She could be a real leader and inspiratioñ to this team but would rather spend too much time watching the game while in the game.

I agree that the Holly system has finally made bad players out of the freshmen. Took Holly about half a season to get it into them. We have played a lot of bad games over the last 11 games just managed to win a few of them.

Reactions: 3 people
I agree that the Holly system has finally made bad players out of the freshmen. Took Holly about half a season to get it into them. We have played a lot of bad games over the last 11 games just managed to win a few of them.

Anybody who plays aggressively and hustles will beat Tennessee! Take away the inside game with a zone and this team is lost?

Freshman Rennia has averaged over 20 pts in the last three games but you say Holly’s finally made her a bad player. Whatever fits the narrative, huh?

Reactions: 2 people
Freshman Rennia has averaged over 20 pts in the last three games but you say Holly’s finally made her a bad player. Whatever fits the narrative, huh?

Her narrative was the last 11. So you wrote what fit yours (the last 3). I would like to know what she averaged over the last 11 though. She has been playing well. She's one of the more opportunistic players on the team.

Her narrative was the last 11. So you wrote what fit yours (the last 3). I would like to know what she averaged over the last 11 though. She has been playing well. She's one of the more opportunistic players on the team.

No, if you say someone has “finally” become a bad player, then their last few games must be bad to fit that description. Being bad for stretches and finishing the sample period with good games clearly doesn’t fit.

The Lady Vols lost to Alabama 3 straight times. But the 4th time on The Summitt hits a nerve like no other time.

Tennessee will be history like LaTech, USC, Old Dominion et al.

Makes me angry that Holly won't let go of the reigns. It is obvious that she does not know what she is doing!

Brick by brick she is tearing down what Pat Summitt took a Decade to build.

Holly is stubborn and I can understand her pain and humiliation with stepping down from a program that is her life. But she has to let it go in order for Tennessee to remain a powerhouse. Quit for Summitt, Holly!

Please!
GOLadyVols!

I wish this post could be mailed to Holly. She is living in a fool's paradise. I have said this numerous times.

She also has 14 turnovers in the last three games which somewhat negates her offensive play. Maybe she hasn't taken the full Holly dose yet. I accept her talent and her lack of shots this season while Nared has 150 more shots is just another negative Holly coaching effect. I know Hayes and Westbrooks are all in have average around 11 turnovers a game as a duo.

If the players are unmotivated and shut down, the season is over. If they can't beat a vastly inferior team on their home floor, they're certainly not going to beat Mizzou, UF or SCAR. These teams want to win and are going to put forth the effort. If the LVs don't, they'll get steamrolled. There's not a single SEC team that can't beat them if they continue to play like they did last night.

It's a vicious cycle. If the players lose faith and shut down, the fans are going to lose faith in them and shut down their support. That's not good for the program, now or moving forward.

The LVs lost to a vastly inferior team who has a vastly superior coach! She is one of the best coaches in the SEC. Phil Fullmer should consider seriously offering her the head coaching position at UT. That is, if he could not talk Vic Schaefer into accepting the position.

Thanks for the shot of courage, however, the Lady Vols, if they play like they did against Alabama,they will get their ass kicked by both USC and Missouri. To be successful this team needs to be motivated and perform with maximum effort. Holly admitted that she does not know why this team does not play with maximum effort. She has said many times over the last six years, that you can’t coach effort. I agree with Holly 100%. I was a high school coach for 13 years and I never tried to coach effort, I demanded effort. That is what I love about Genno he demands excellence or your view will be from the bench or on another team.

We have had as many 5 star players as any of the top 10 teams, however, we simply do not play up to the level of our talent. We have more talent on this team as Mississippi State, however, the difference is coaching. It is apparent that though Holly is a good person, she simply can not match wits with top ten coaches and she has a difficult time keeping her team motivated.

Well said!

The LVs lost to a vastly inferior team who has a vastly superior coach! She is one of the best coaches in the SEC. Phil Fullmer should consider seriously offering her the head coaching position at UT. That is, if he could not talk Vic Schaefer into accepting the position.

Seems like most of the s.e.c. Coaches would be an improvement at this point
Well this was true for the past few years.

VN Store

Back