Game Thread: #11 Lady Vols at #18 Fla St; Thurs Nov 9, 6PM

I have no problem ensuring the ball was in our best playmaker's (Rickea) hands for the game winning shot. It just didn't fall. However we need to give Rickea an option if the whole team crashes on her at the end of games.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I have no problem ensuring the ball was in our best playmaker's (Rickea) hands for the game winning shot. It just didn't fall. However we need to give Rickea an option if the whole team crashes on her at the end of games.
If we didn't start the play so dang late there would be a precious extra second or so for options to develop. It seems like everyone counts the clock down way too far before initiating those plays. I get you don't want to give the opponent a chance to rebound and score, but I think a big part of our futile attempts at end of quarter plays is dilly dallying too long.

If we didn't start the play so dang late there would be a precious extra second or so for options to develop. It seems like everyone counts the clock down way too far before initiating those plays. I get you don't want to give the opponent a chance to rebound and score, but I think a big part of our futile attempts at end of quarter plays is dilly dallying too long.

giphy.gif

Great post why did we decide to do that someone should've took it straight to the basket cause even a miss and don't get the rebound you could foul and have another shot at a three to tie. I agree should've went a lot quicker.

Great post why did we decide to do that someone should've took it straight to the basket cause even a miss and don't get the rebound you could foul and have another shot at a three to tie. I agree should've went a lot quicker.
Yep, if you wait too long there isn’t even time for an offensive rebound/putback if the shot misses. In most cases, if you only give yourself enough time for one shot there is likely a 55% chance or greater the shot will miss. Then it’s game over. When Cook was still at SC, at the end of each quarter/game they would put the ball in her hands and she would dribble the clock down then go one on one for a last second shot. I always thought that was dumb, esp since she was a 40% shooter at best and SC was so good at offensive rebounding. Made no sense at all.

Last edited:
Although in this case, the LVs got the shot they wanted. Rickea low in the block shooting over a shorter defender and they go the rebound with time on the clock to get up another makeable shot. So, other than making one of those shots, what scenario would have been better?

It is frustrating to lose a nail biter like that but the ball just did not go in. Imagine of the rim bounce had gone Rickea's way, how different this conversation would be.

Although in this case, the LVs got the shot they wanted. Rickea low in the block shooting over a shorter defender and they go the rebound with time on the clock to get up another makeable shot. So, other than making one of those shots, what scenario would have been better?

It is frustrating to lose a nail biter like that but the ball just did not go in. Imagine of the rim bounce had gone Rickea's way, how different this conversation would be.
IMO all teams wait way too late. Rickea's shot, though what we wanted, was a tiny bit rushed due to the clock running out. More importantly, Jewel had a point blank put back, which she missed, but wouldn't have counted anyway bc it was just after the buzzer. Got to leave time for a putback!

I say initiate the play at 9 or 10 secs, take the shot by 3 or 4. We're waiting til about 6 to even initiate.

VN Store

Back