'25 GA WR Travis Smith

Tennessee offered Smith in September, and the Vols have made him a priority since. “I had spoke with them a couple of weeks before that, and they told me to keep doing my thing, and if I kept it up, I could definitely have an opportunity to come to this University,” Smith recalled of receiving the offer. “I kept being consistent with my game, and they flat out said, ‘hey, we are giving you an offer. You look good.”
The Vols, along with SEC East Rival Georgia, have shown Smith a lot of attention this fall. “It has definitely been a battle between Tennessee and Georgia right now (on who is hitting me up the most),” Smith said of this. “If I talk to a Tennessee guy, they are telling me Georgia has nothing on them, and it is the same with the Georgia side. It is kind of back and forth with them, but they are definitely competing to give me a shot.”
On Saturday, Smith got his first look at Tennessee. “You watch TV, you see the quick cameras showing how the checker is, but I did not realize how organized it is,” Smith said. “Seeing that live, it was beautiful. My first impression of Neyland Stadium was coming through and seeing that bridge beside the stadium covered with fans, and it was all love from them.”
Smith has connected well with Tennessee Wide Receivers Coach Kelsey Pope. “I like the way he has his receivers take shots,” Smith said of what stands out about Pope. “The game plan may not always be there, but he finds different ways to get his receivers involved. That is what I love about what coach Pope brings to the table. He actually takes chances. I love that about him.”
“I did talk with Heupel, and he has been texting me,” the 6’4, 195-pound receiver said of Heupel. “It has been all love from him. He was telling me they were excited to get me up there, and they want to get me back, especially for that Georgia vs Tennessee game. They are really competing for me. They are saying Tennessee is going to beat Georgia, and they really want me to come up there and see how they do it so there is no afterthought.”
“If you look at my film, we run a similar offense to them,” Smith said. “We are spread out and zeroed in on the sideline, and the way they are spread out, it leads to the running game being open. Once that running game gets open, then those safeties start to come up. Once they shoot up, you already know what it is at that time. You are throwing it up, and guys are going to get it. I like that a lot.”
“Tennessee and Georgia are definitely the front-runner, but they are battling it out with all of the five schools I have in mind.” “I want to play for a winning program,” Smith said. “That would be beatiful, but also, a family environment. I want to be around people that you would love to see every day. People that you would compete and have fun with and things like that. And always, I have to look at how a school stands education wise.”
-VQ

From Rivals:

Tennessee made a big impression on the 2025 four-star receiver from Atlanta (Ga.) Westlake and the Vols should definitely be watched closely as his recruitment continues. Josh Heupel and position coach Kelsey Pope made him a priority as the three talked a lot pre-game and that will go a long way in Smith’s thinking.

He also loves the offense there and sees himself as a deep threat in Knoxville. The Vols are high but so are Georgia, Colorado, Auburn, Ole Miss and Oregon.

Smith will return to Georgia on Jan. 13, then Tennessee the following week. “I like both schools a lot,” Smith told On3. “Both Georgia and Tennessee are recruiting me hard, I have connections with the coaches at each school and I have high interest in them. Each time I visit I have a good time and I will be back soon.”
“Nico Iamealava makes a difference with Tennessee. He played well in the bowl game and he is already in the Heisman talk for next year. Coming in, having a chance to play with a quarterback like that is something else I like about Tennessee. Nico is exciting, he is going to do big things, so that is just another thing for me to think about with Tennessee. The relationships are there, the fans are great and now Nico is going to be the quarterback.”
After visiting Georgia and Tennessee, Smith plans to visit Florida for the first time on Jan. 27. He is still working on narrowing his list down and that is when he will start to focus on a decision. “The plan is to official visits, then make a summer decision, but I am just letting God guide me,” Smith said.
-Simmons

Kelsey Pope’s travels will also lead him to Westlake to check on Gaston’s teammate Travis Smith Jr. Georgia is making a strong push here right now. Smith tells Volquest he is still set to be in Knoxville this weekend for Tennessee’s Junior Day. This one has felt like a Tennessee-Georgia battle since November, and that is where it still sits today.
-VQ

From Rivals:

Georgia losing position coach Bryan McClendon (the Bulldogs hired James Coley to fill that role) was a big loss but the Bulldogs remain a serious contender for the Atlanta (Ga.) Westlake standout as some big visits are coming up soon.

The four-star receiver will see Alabama, Auburn and Georgia Tech in March and then be at Georgia and Tennessee in April. Florida State has also seriously entered the picture in Smith’s recruitment so that will be one to watch as well moving forward.

Gaston’s teammate Travis Smith Jr. is scheduled to be in April as well. He tells us this week he has confirmed his official visit with Tennessee for the weekend of June 21st. Georgia is Tennessee’s heaviest competition right now, but several others are working to get in this one, and there will likely be a busy month of June officials for Smith.
Georgia and Tennessee have gone back and forth at the top for some time in this one. The Bulldogs seized some momentum in January, but based off of folks we have spoken with, the departure of Bryan McClendon has given Smith a brief pause. The four-star has built a strong relationship with Kelsey Pope and Heupel, which will keep the Vols in this one for the long haul.
-VQ

Smith currently feels like the most realistic option from the out-of-state trio, as the Vols are battling Georgia neck-and-neck in this recruitment currently. Alabama has made an impression of late as well, and the Crimson Tide are working to make this a three-team race heading into a late summer decision.
-VQ

VN Store

Back