'25 GA RB Justin Baker (Tennessee commit)

Sooo why is this kid a 3 star?
Could be because his numbers were so modest in Buford's pass-oriented offense, as he was their leading rusher last season with 471 yards & 4 TDs on 86 carries (5.5 ypc). That film clip shows an impressive 75-yard jaunt, but he was held to 4 yards or less per carry in 5 of the 10 games he played in last season.
Justin Baker's High School Football Stats

Not having much tread would mean he has a lot of wear and tear. That doesnt seem to be the implication

He said he’s a three down back playing Power-5 competition in practice - so I took it to mean the dude is worn out! Lol

He said he’s a three down back playing Power-5 competition in practice - so I took it to mean the dude is worn out! Lol
That is what it would mean used in the context that it was. What he meant to say was either, "he has a lot of tread left" or "doesn't have much wear on the tires".

He’s not the biggest back and didn’t put up the big numbers so early on I get why he’s a 3 star. With Raiola and Kj leaving he’ll get to step up finally after sitting behind Justice Haynes and then being in a loaded offense. Regardless of what he ends up being, I think he’s a pretty good complementary back. John Kelly wasn’t a bad comp imo for the person who said that on here. Think Baker has more straight line speed tho

He’s not the biggest back and didn’t put up the big numbers so early on I get why he’s a 3 star. With Raiola and Kj leaving he’ll get to step up finally after sitting behind Justice Haynes and then being in a loaded offense. Regardless of what he ends up being, I think he’s a pretty good complementary back. John Kelly wasn’t a bad comp imo for the person who said that on here. Think Baker has more straight line speed tho
Kelly was also a 3* RB who the staff at the time loved. Pulling him out of Michigan was a big deal. I can definitely see the Baker-Kelly comp, but, as you said, Baker looks to have more speed.

Wow, lucky we did not get in on their QB who touches the ball every snap. He would have to be absolutely worn out and worthless. No value add to sharpening your skills against the best level every day in practice if you end up depleted. GOT IT.

Wow, lucky we did not get in on their QB who touches the ball every snap. He would have to be absolutely worn out and worthless. No value add to sharpening your skills against the best level every day in practice if you end up depleted. GOT IT.
He's a RB. The point is, RBs only have so much wear and tear they take before losing productivity. He was saying he hasn't had a ton of carries to wear him down and that's a bonus. Kind of the opposite of what happened to DeSean Bishop in high school.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
He's a RB. The point is, RBs only have so much wear and tear they take before losing productivity. He was saying he hasn't had a ton of carries to wear him down and that's a bonus. Kind of the opposite of what happened to DeSean Bishop in high school.
Guess I should have used blue font. I was responding to his assumptive post that the inference was he was worn out. Without benefit of watching Bishop's carries and contact in practices, which may well have been minimized by a coach that wanted him to be a bell cow, total wear and tear is impossible assess. I watched more actual game minutes than I guess 99% of posting Vols on Diamond Clear Media broadcasts, and was amazed how few of his carries ended badly with significant contact. It appears he was coached to get down or out of bounds when possible and a lot of his carries ended with shoe string type tackles. Will be interesting to see if that slide and glide style with a patient hole reading style translates to the college game. For sure a gamer more than a tough guy. Probably get a strong hint this year.

“It means a lot to me,” Baker said of being Sims’ first call. “It is good to know that even a new guys sees your worth and your talent. That speaks volumes to him as a person and a coach. I am really excited to see where our relationship goes from here.”

“He said his biggest things are relationship and development, not just with the player but with the family as well. I felt like that was a big thing because with college you are going away, and if your family can trust that person or coach to take care of you, then I feel like that is a big thing.”

“It was more getting to know, but he told me he had already looked at my film and my highlights and broken down some game film, so he has already taken a look at me,”

Also said wants to visit for practice in Spring to see him Coach & make spring game.

Ole Miss, Stanford and others reached out day Mack left. But Heup called him as soon as we could after Dead period (we have extra restrictions due to NCAA violations) and reassured him they want him.

Interesting reminder our coaches are still recruiting with one arm behind their back.

“It means a lot to me,” Baker said of being Sims’ first call. “It is good to know that even a new guys sees your worth and your talent. That speaks volumes to him as a person and a coach. I am really excited to see where our relationship goes from here.”

“He said his biggest things are relationship and development, not just with the player but with the family as well. I felt like that was a big thing because with college you are going away, and if your family can trust that person or coach to take care of you, then I feel like that is a big thing.”

“It was more getting to know, but he told me he had already looked at my film and my highlights and broken down some game film, so he has already taken a look at me,”

Also said wants to visit for practice in Spring to see him Coach & make spring game.

Ole Miss, Stanford and others reached out day Mack left. But Heup called him as soon as we could after Dead period (we have extra restrictions due to NCAA violations) and reassured him they want him.

Interesting reminder our coaches are still recruiting with one arm behind their back.
Thank you!

VN Store

Back