G League to offer $125K to elite prospects as alternative to college one-and-done route

Didn’t even think about the outside $$. Good point

But if you’re not going to college all of that is on the table anyway...the guy that skipped college and G-League this year just signed a shoe deal, $1m guaranteed and possibly up to $14m. You don’t have to go G-League to get these kickbacks from agents and endorsement deals.

But if you’re not going to college all of that is on the table anyway...the guy that skipped college and G-League this year just signed a shoe deal, $1m guaranteed and possibly up to $14m. You don’t have to go G-League to get these kickbacks from agents and endorsement deals.
Not sure who that is but he’s not setting the standard. I think the biggest difference is to make this salary guys would’ve had to leave the country before now.

The top guys who are projected first round picks are probably not going to do this. Playing in the G League puts them up against other professional players. If they look mediocre, then a team probably won’t gamble on them. All you have to do in college is look good against other college players. Plus, guys like Harry Giles and Michael Porter got hurt all year and still got drafted.

I agree that a few guys, who can’t get into school or some fringe decent players, might take a shot.

Even more, you can build your own brand at a blue blood school being on TV all of the time. You won’t get seen in the G League.

The top guys who are projected first round picks are probably not going to do this. Playing in the G League puts them up against other professional players. If they look mediocre, then a team probably won’t gamble on them. All you have to do in college is look good against other college players. Plus, guys like Harry Giles and Michael Porter got hurt all year and still got drafted.

I agree that a few guys, who can’t get into school or some fringe decent players, might take a shot.

Even more, you can build your own brand at a blue blood school being on TV all of the time. You won’t get seen in the G League.

Yup, not gonna he explored like people think. I keep seeing people mention those with academic probables, question...how many 5 stars this year didn’t qualify academically? These guys have more to lose than gain by going G-League, I don’t think you’re going to be seeing it exercised by many at all.

Yup, not gonna he explored like people think. I keep seeing people mention those with academic probables, question...how many 5 stars this year didn’t qualify academically? These guys have more to lose than gain by going G-League, I don’t think you’re going to be seeing it exercised by many at all.
Why do you have to limit it to 5* kids? Why can't it just be the top-100? And I still don't know the answer to the question, but it doesn't necessarily have to be kids who can't get into school. It could be kids who just have no desire to go to school.

Why do you have to limit it to 5* kids? Why can't it just be the top-100? And I still don't know the answer to the question, but it doesn't necessarily have to be kids who can't get into school. It could be kids who just have no desire to go to school.

Because G-League teams aren’t going to pay $125k for a 75th ranked player to ride their bench.

Reactions: VEKZY
If there’s been one glaring takeaway from the federal basketball corruption trial, it’s just how refined the black market is that feeds college basketball. Through court testimony, we’ve seen defined values for players, schools openly bidding on them and sneaker companies brokering deals. Day after day, the trial showed there are various ways for the country’s top high school players to get paid.

it’s good for some of the elite prospects who need to provide for their family at an earlier time period and just will be another way of trying to prevent the illegal things that happen

Because G-League teams aren’t going to pay $125k for a 75th ranked player to ride their bench.
That’s a decent point. To that point though, there is probably only a handful of kids in a given year, 5* or otherwise, that would come in as 18-19 year olds playing against 25-27 year old grown men and receive meaningful playing time. So with that in mind, if the idea is that the G-League only wants the best of the best, then I agree, it will not be utilized by many. My thought was that it may be an option for kids ranked in the middle to bottom half of the top 100 (possibly because of their poor academic standing, not their talent), but if the G-League is hoping to land top 10 kids, then I agree that few will venture towards it.

VN Store

Back