Funny set of tweets

2nd question first - it is possible that Williams degree choice could work to his advantage at Tennessee. Unless it is aeronautical engineering, though, it isn't likely.

As for pro basketball, even the NBDL is a daunting challenge. If he wants to play in Asia or South America or one of Eastern Euro leagues, maybe. But I don't know many folks who would turn down the Ivy League to do one of those things.

There's quite a few kids who have turned down Ivy League offers for HM offers, not sure where you're getting that from?

Correct...no athletic scholarships.

I went to an ivy league level D3 school for a while and played football and baseball there. Ivy's and D3's (or lessers even) don't give "athletic" scholarships. However, I know after my first year playing sports my need based financial aid and scholarship increased drastically from before, with nothing else changing. They have ways around it that are completely legitimate.

I didn't say kids weren't turning down the Ivy League at all, just that turning them with the goal of playing in Bosnia or Uruguay or the China probably didn't happen very often. If they turn down the Ivy League, probably they dont want to leave home or don't want that environment.

Just off raw numbers (8 schools with 4-5 openings a year divided by the number of high major kids who can qualify for the Ivy League) can't produce very many kids turning them down.

I love Tennessee. Have two degrees from there. Was fortunate enough to attend during the Ernie/ Bernie years. Just don't see turning down the Ivy League to go there, especially for a kid with no apparent family, geographic connections.

We shall see, I don't think he ends up at Harvard though, could be wrong.

By the way, I'm not just limiting this to Williams. I think Jordan Bruner should think long and hard about Yale, too.

All that glitters ain't gold. I was caught up in the Ivy League hype. Princeton football. Son came out a totally different person than when he went in....and not in a good way. I consider it one of the biggest mistakes I made as a parent.

So I'm guessing she's not buying the stairway to heaven?

I didn't say kids weren't turning down the Ivy League at all, just that turning them with the goal of playing in Bosnia or Uruguay or the China probably didn't happen very often. If they turn down the Ivy League, probably they dont want to leave home or don't want that environment.

Just off raw numbers (8 schools with 4-5 openings a year divided by the number of high major kids who can qualify for the Ivy League) can't produce very many kids turning them down.

I love Tennessee. Have two degrees from there. Was fortunate enough to attend during the Ernie/ Bernie years. Just don't see turning down the Ivy League to go there, especially for a kid with no apparent family, geographic connections.
Because 18 year olds value college differently than a degree-minded adult. You've learned with experience that passing up such a prestigious learning opportunity would be foolish, but when you're an high-major D1 prospect what are your priorities when looking at schools? Maybe dome people just don't value an elite education, or maybe they want to play under a prestigious coach, or maybe they love the athletic facilities to aid their game. Other than Harvard's recent skid of NCAA appearances (4 year streak), Ivy League schools haven't had much success in the college basketball world.

Last edited:
Not sure but I can't figure out a good reason for such a tweet. Not sure I like it. Seems combative to me and I don't see a reason for it

He knows the business. It is interesting that I came in here and saw this thread. This was a discussion on Gary Parrish's local radio show recently. Most know that Parrish is a national writer for CBS. He had a guest on, and they laughed at recruits putting out a list of 10 or even 6-8. He says that recruits almost always are only really interested in maybe 3-4 schools and that any list beyond that is just for show. After a recruit reveals a list of 10, he has coaches contact him and say they haven't talked to that kid in months, yet their school is among the 10. Basically, Lanier tweeted something that most of the public is not aware of.

VN Store

Back