Fulmers competence

Can Phil make the right hire

• Total voters
Well not to be cupping his grapes but you kinda get be him a mulligan cause this hire was shot to hell before he even got to get involved. Botch, Currie, Manning and Haslam butchered this from the word go.......... it could be kinda hard to get a quality coach to come to a program that has been thenlaughing stock of college football since pssh, I don’t know this time last year.

He could hire Mike Leach right now. And yes I'm going to beat this horse into the ground. No reason for a Steele hire when he knows Leach would take the job today.

He just doesn't like Leach's style, and he is self serving right now imo.

Reactions: 5 people
Nothing would happen to his legacy.

You can’t base an opinion on one hire. You get it wrong more often than you get it right.

Reactions: 3 people
He could hire Mike Leach right now. And yes I'm going to beat this horse into the ground. No reason for a Steele hire when he knows Leach would take the job today.

You don't "know" Leach would take it today.

Nothing would happen to his legacy.

You can’t base an opinion on one hire. You get it wrong more often than you get it right.

Does it really matter if he won a championship if he's responsible for the beginning of the fall of the program and then exacerbated it with a horrendous good-ole-boy hire during his tenure as AD?

Reactions: 4 people

Some people just can’t/won’t see the forest for the trees.....

We will just agree to disagree, and just forbthe record I’m glad Fulmer isn’t considering Leach. I’d rather take my chances the coordinator route than hire Leach just cause he’s a head coach.

Reactions: 1 person
Does it really matter if he won a championship if he's responsible for the beginning of the fall of the program and then exacerbated it with a horrendous good-ole-boy hire during his tenure as AD?

Beginning of the fall?????

It's more like Fulmer laying down the sod after the settling.

He took over a messed up situation and has been on the job 5 minutes with several candidates already off the board.

What do you expect?

Reactions: 4 people
He took over a messed up situation and has been on the job 5 minutes with several candidates already off the board.

What do you expect?

I expected this "reset" to involve actual winning head coaches with a history of success would be called and vetted, and then, one of them hired.

No way we should be settling for a freaking coordinator when at least 20 other decent to good head coaches are available.

We haven't even tried seriously overpaying for success.

Reactions: 2 people
Some people just can’t/won’t see the forest for the trees.....

We will just agree to disagree, and just forbthe record I’m glad Fulmer isn’t considering Leach. I’d rather take my chances the coordinator route than hire Leach just cause he’s a head coach.

It's not just because he's a head coach. It's because he has overachieved with almost every team he's led. Literally every single year. Ever heard of Tee Martin? Leach whipped that a$$ with a much less talented team this year. His QB was a former walk on.

You're bringing about the same level of drama to this thread as some of the 4th grade girls in my classroom.

That ring means he’s forever beyond reproach

You're bringing about the same level of drama to this thread as some of the 4th grade girls in my classroom.

If I put Kevin Steele's record beside Mike Leach's record and asked them who they would hire, even the 4th grade girls would make the right choice.

It's that obvious.

Reactions: 5 people
Living in Northeast Ohio, this crap with the coaching search is looking more and more like what the Browns are doing every 2-3 years hiring these mediocre coordinators. This is not going to end well folks

I expected this "reset" to involve actual winning head coaches with a history of success would be called and vetted, and then, one of them hired.

No way we should be settling for a freaking coordinator when at least 20 other decent to good head coaches are available.

We haven't even tried seriously overpaying for success.

That’s the mistake a lot of people I think are making.

The “reset” did nothing and was never going to.

No one (that you would want) wants this job under these circumstances.

This was going to end poorly the minute they originally screwed it up

He can not be let off the hook because he is a VFL. If this coach fails, he has to get the boot. All you people cupping his grapes need to agree that he gets one coaching hire, if it doesn't work out he has to go. And boy, not looking good right now.

Venables is the only one I'd have some confidence in, unless he can pull off a Peterson miracle.

Fulmer will NOT make a splashy hire. Who's left that you could call splashy? Peterson? That's not going to happen. It's not in his DNA. Plus, he really wants to be the closet coach. No recruits, current team members broke physically and mentally and no show-stopping coach. Yeah, TN football is pretty much in the tank

VN Store

Back