Fulmer on the 90’s & 00’s with playoffs, NIL, portal

If you take away Cutcliff, Chief, all those great position coaches, Manning and the loads of other blue chip talent, huge support from the AD, Neyland Stadium advantage, the massive support of the fanbase, the craaazy facilities, and the hostesses, then Fulmer was nothing! 🙄🤦
No, just Cutcliffe. Cutcliffe came back in 2006, one year after we had gone 5-6 without him and voila, he returned and we were a much improved 9-4, then we made the SEC championship game the next year (the last time we went). Then Cutcliffe left again and we went right back to 5-6 the very next year and Fulmer was fired, and then everyone knows the rest.

Last edited:
You are either talking out your a$$ , or you are not old enough to remember college football in the 90’s. Tennessee was elite and Phillip Fulmer was elite.
Elite with Cutcliffe, not elite without him. The numbers are pretty clear cut, Fulmer was 84-19 (.815) (elite) with Cutcliffe, 68-33 (.673) (not elite) without him. And I'm old enough to remember the 90's and before, and how despite our success, we played second fiddle to Florida every Fulmer coached year of the 90's except the 1. Thank God for the 1. I can't imagine wasting all that talent and not getting a single championship. Also fortunately LSU and Georgia both knocked off Florida in 97' when we couldn't or Fulmer wouldn't have even won an SEC championship, or even made a SEC championship game appearance, with Peyton Manning at QB.

Another aspect of Fulmer's run was the relative weakness of the rest of the conference. Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and Auburn were all average or down. The only team with comparable talent was Florida . . . and we know how he faired in that matchup. Once those teams started to fulfill their potential, Fulmer was a bit exposed. Fulmer was 0-2 vs Saban at Alabama and 0-6 vs Meyer at Florida. I'm not trying to bash him, but I think he was an above average coach that was a great recruiter, which was good enough to win two SEC titles and one national title. Winning a national title does not automatically make a coach elite . . . see Coker, Orgeron, Miles.

Reactions: Rocky Top T
Will be so glad when Foolmore is out of everyone's system, if he had done, if he had done that. He didn't, it's in the past. He got millions from our program, let it be. No more. He is is done, get on board for this is now Heupels team, things look bright.
I got no time for Fulmer. He's been out of my system for a long time

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Elite with Cutcliffe, not elite without him. The numbers are pretty clear cut, Fulmer was 84-19 (.815) (elite) with Cutcliffe, 68-33 (.673) (not elite) without him. And I'm old enough to remember the 90's and before, and how despite our success, we played second fiddle to Florida every Fulmer coached year of the 90's except the 1. Thank God for the 1. I can't imagine wasting all that talent and not getting a single championship. Also fortunately LSU and Georgia both knocked off Florida in 97' when we couldn't or Fulmer wouldn't have even won an SEC championship, or even made a SEC championship game appearance, with Peyton Manning at QB.
I think Cutcliffe was the disciplinarian and had a standard he expected his players to meet for practice and preparation. None of the other coaches filled that role when he left.

I vaguely remember reading an article from 2006 that referenced Ainge talking about how expectations and practices changed for the 2006 team under Cutcliffe that were not there previously.

You are either talking out your a$$ , or you are not old enough to remember college football in the 90’s. Tennessee was elite and Phillip Fulmer was elite.
Foolmore started out elite due to great coaches and great players around him, did the great coaches leave, did the talent level drop, yes all is true. In the end it was a mess that took years to fix. I and all Vol fans wish it had worked out differently. The truth is backed up by the results. He had his chance twice and we suffered nightly at the end of both.
Time to move forward, he had his time, now let Heupel have his, again hoping it works out for Vol fans.
Go Vols

Another aspect of Fulmer's run was the relative weakness of the rest of the conference. Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and Auburn were all average or down. The only team with comparable talent was Florida . . . and we know how he faired in that matchup. Once those teams started to fulfill their potential, Fulmer was a bit exposed. Fulmer was 0-2 vs Saban at Alabama and 0-6 vs Meyer at Florida. I'm not trying to bash him, but I think he was an above average coach that was a great recruiter, which was good enough to win two SEC titles and one national title. Winning a national title does not automatically make a coach elite . . . see Coker, Orgeron, Miles.
All those teams had great multi-season runs during the Fulmer era though. The “sec was down in the 90s” argument is overblown

Syracuse and Arkansas maybe… but nothing really lucky about beating Florida.
Keep in mind Florida would have been in the playoff as well in 1998. So there is a chance we’d have to beat them twice that year. Given Fulmer’s track record against FL, especially with Spurrier, we could have definitely lost the second time around.

Yes, we were lucky in the 98 championship. And I would add facing the #2 QB for FSU in the title game. But almost every championship winner is lucky at some point along the way.
Did 2019 LSU ever need luck to pull out a game? Not being sarcastic…I just can’t remember.

We are calling a national championship coach not elite. He won the natty without cutty. He became not as good when the school limited his recruiting.

Interesting take on his thoughts:

Even if the playoffs had been around, he would have had to keep the team together and still faced those daunting Nebraska teams. Not to mention Florida for a second time (most likely) had we advanced in the playoffs. However, I disagree that we would have beaten that talent laden Miami team of ‘01.

Curious though, how many of you posters would have traded the ‘98 NC for eight playoff spots or runs?

Fulmer would have lost a lot of depth pieces to the portal.

VN Store

Back