From the Hokey perspective:

He lost me at his defensive analysis. We return nearly all the talent and have added depth and Kongbo. We also have a new aggressive DC that loves to use pressure and will disguise assignments/blitzers.

He's a VT beat writer, not a die hard VOL fan. He doesn't know as much about your team as you do. While he was lacking some knowledge of the TN defense, overall it was a well written and reasonable article. Wish there were more folks of his quality writing about the VOLS - I'll trade them John Adams right quick:good!:

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah, the guy did a pretty good job anticipating the game. Okay, so he missed capturing the true flavor of our current defense; everything else, he pretty much nailed.

I don't share his optimism that this will be a good game, though. Think it has the potential to be a really lopsided affair, like in the neighborhood of 45-10. We'll see; it's mostly a question of, as the writer pointed out, whether they can put enough in the box to slow down our 3-headed monster and still prevent Dobbs from finding targets over the top.

Guys, I'll take a 1 point victory. As long as it's a victory.
I think VT will be amped for this game.

Yeah, northwestern was pretty amped up last January too. Then you'll say but they beat OSU 2 years ago to which I'll say jmu beat them in 2010. VT under Beamer was good for one try hard game every year. VT has issues at every position with the exception of TE. I think ultimately Fuente will fail at VT, he's already pissed off most of their larger donors. Bud Foster doesn't have the horses like he used to, no offense but imagine a defense full of Colton Jumpers.

How long do you think expect it to take for the O to really get going? I wasn't thinking it would be about mid season for y'all, would love to VT take out Clemson in the ACC champ, if they both were to make it.

I would expect the play calling to be pretty vanilla against Liberty, then start to put their foot on the gas against Tennessee. I would hope by the 3rd or 4th week of the season, right around the time the ACC schedule heats up that they will be scoring some points.

Yeah, northwestern was pretty amped up last January too. Then you'll say but they beat OSU 2 years ago to which I'll say jmu beat them in 2010. VT under Beamer was good for one try hard game every year. VT has issues at every position with the exception of TE. I think ultimately Fuente will fail at VT, he's already pissed off most of their larger donors. Bud Foster doesn't have the horses like he used to, no offense but imagine a defense full of Colton Jumpers.

Our only issues are DEPTH at LB.....we are loaded in every other position with young quality depth.

Wait, what did he do to piss off the donors? Must have missed that

I think they keep it within 10 points through early in the 3rd, then I really believe that our 3 headed monster rushing attack starts to take its toll on their defensive front 7.

Reactions: 3 people
We owe them a complete beatdown from the bowl game.. Pile it on

Agree. I had to walk up and down the street in my neighborhood, holding a VT flag, chanting "Lets Go Hokies" as I lost the bet with my neighbor on that game. Totally humiliating. Payback is a BEEEECH. :dance2:

Hope not....I think Fuente will correct the deficiencies on the offense...pretty quickly.

I watched a good portion of the Memphis v Ole Miss game yesterday. Memphis played well. Ole Miss played very poorly. But the key to the game was what Lynch did when things broke down.... NOT things that were part of the play design.

That works when you have someone like Lynch and receivers that are on the same wavelength. But there really aren't all that many of those guys around.

I think Fuente is a good coach and that you have good reason to be optimistic. But at TCU as OC and at Memphis, his teams weren't anything special throwing the ball until last year. His teams did run the ball well at TCU and better at Memphis.

Memphis during his tenure went from 311 ypg to 427 ypg to 487 ypg. That's "pretty quick".... but they were a dumpster fire and play in a pretty weak conference. Seven of the 12 teams in their the AAC allowed over 400 ypg last year so it isn't like they were playing Bama every week.

he says we lost a lot on defense last year...what? exact quote...They lost plenty of defensive talent last year, and their defensive line is pretty young overall.

He also said we return eight so is contradictory. However, unlike ESPN, the guy did some actual research and had factual numbers that made it a good and solid article. Perhaps by losing a lot, he means two starting safeties but I feel very comfortable with their replacements who have higher ceilings.

Also, he missed that this D has a different coordinator and to compare with last year is as futile as comparing VT's O last year with what it will be with This year with a new head coach. Overall, it was a solid article

he says we lost a lot on defense last year...what? exact quote...They lost plenty of defensive talent last year, and their defensive line is pretty young overall.

Randolph was second on the team in tackles. Williams and McNeil were 7th and 8th respectively so from a pure stat standpoint that sounds like a lot.

I was a little surprised to see TKjr at 5th on the team in tackles even though he wasn't a starter.

Reactions: 2 people
If we go in and curb stomp them that will make a statement

While I can respect the idea of being "respectful" to other programs.... at this point with our Volunteers (for what he have had to contend with over the last 8-9 years) I hope CBJ has learned his lesson and we prepare to "Curb Stomp" each opponent we face, at least go out with that mentality.

Agree. I had to walk up and down the street in my neighborhood, holding a VT flag, chanting "Lets Go Hokies" as I lost the bet with my neighbor on that game. Totally humiliating. Payback is a BEEEECH. :dance2:

Well at least you only did that due to losing a bet, Hokey fans don't do it, too embarrassing for them too.

It won't take long(by the end of the 1st qtr) for everyone to realize that they have no chance of winning.

Go Vols!

Jeez, Bro, next time just put money on it. :shades:

I would expect the play calling to be pretty vanilla against Liberty, then start to put their foot on the gas against Tennessee. I would hope by the 3rd or 4th week of the season, right around the time the ACC schedule heats up that they will be scoring some points.

Fuente seems to be a player dependent coach. That's not a bad thing. It gets improvement quicker if you have some players but usually has a lower ceiling. Fulmer was a lot like that. His approach this time of year with relation to the system and playbook was to "throw it all at them" and see what sticks.

Jones is a system dependent coach. You can't win without talent but Jones has been pretty stubborn about THE SYSTEM and the PROCESS. It takes longer to get where you want to be and especially if you are rebuilding a roster. I am convinced he's left 5 or so wins on the field by being rigid on his system rather than adjusting more to players. The good thing is that the upside is usually a lot higher.

Saban is a system based coach. Especially on D.

I don't expect it to be close.
If it is then Tennessee is in for a long season.

VT's avg margin of loss last year after tOSU was a little over 5 ppg. The schedule was weak but they still managed to keep it close most of the time. UNC only beat them by 3 and VT had plenty of chances to win it.

I expect it to be a 2 TD or more win. I don't think UT will make the mistakes that help VT keep games against better opponents close ***. But don't read too much into it if it isn't a big win. Kiffin frustrated UF and Bama by playing to keep it close.

*** UNC had 9 penalties with most of them being pre-snap that put them behind the chains. They had 3 TO's in spite of being one of the ACC's better teams in TO margin.

My thoughts exactly. We lost Randolph and McNeil on Defense, that's it. IDK where he got that from, but good read otherwise.

Randolph was second on the team in tackles. Williams and McNeil were 7th and 8th respectively so from a pure stat standpoint that sounds like a lot.

I was a little surprised to see TKjr at 5th on the team in tackles even though he wasn't a starter.

TKjr is a ball hawk and just seems to be in the right place, at the right time, everytime! TKjr will be an All-American, if not this year, definitely next year. JMO

I typically don't mind VT, but I want to crush them to make up for the bowl game.

VN Store

Back