Four things I'm waiting to see Game 1.

1. Bob Shoop's Defense - how much more aggressive we will be compared to the last few years.

2. Downfield passing game - how does PWill, Malone, Jennings, and Smith look.

3. Croom at TE - what kid of dynamic does he add to our passing game.

4. New (and hopefully improved) defensive backfield - Gaulden, Abernathy, and TKjr as a starter.

1.Can Hurd become more physical and use his size to his advantage and run over guys instead of going down easier than a RB his size should ever do.

6. Can Dobb's cut down on the turnovers but still maintain his aggressiveness?

I thought these happened in 2015?

1) Glaring talent advantage and speed advantage. Not playing down, slow, or passive. Players being aggressive even with a bland game plan.
2) How well we stop the run. After the "nobody will run on the orange swarm" comments from Shoop App St should be stifled by our 2 deep.
3) Newcomers-Kongbo, Warrior, Byrd, Etc.
4) Changes in scheme/personnel. Croom at TE, how do they take advantage of his athletic ability. Do they run a few I-form plays, 2-TE, JJ at fullback etc.
5) Shoop
6) Medley
7) Team health. Who is actually too banged up to play and hopefully all players from both teams remaining healthy.
8) Tennessee Football finally being played.

That's 4 right?

I too am looking forward to seeing if Butch can beat UF and Bama week one. Would be a very impressive accomplishment, to say the least.

I did mine for the whole season not just game 1. We will see little to nothing on Thursday night so that won't exactly be a game to make any kind of judgements. But thank you for bringing that to my attention. I was already in game mode and ready to make some judgements on how the rest of the season was going to go based on how we play against Appy. St. Now I know I have a little more time to get it figured out before making a final judgment.

I thought these happened in 2015?

Not based off what I saw last season. His receivers helped break up 4 int's in the Ala game alone and atleast another 5-6 throughout the season. He had 10 fumbles and lost 4 of them. 3 of those were against UF and he lost only one of them but the one he did lose set UF up close to the red zone and let UF get right back in the game. Without that Fumble UF never gets in position to cut into the lead then actually taking the lead. They had zero momentum at that stage of the game and was getting late in the 3rd quarter. So no sir unfortunately 2015 wasn't the year he corrected those problems.

i hope that if we can get ahead early we keep our offense scheme close to the chest, get our starters out early after knocking off the rust, and get the secondary players some game time. We will need good rotations later in the season during the horrible 4 game stretch where bruises and dings will add up.
Apply state is a team to be respected however so this may not be as easy to do as preferred.

Reactions: 1 person
Not based off what I saw last season. His receivers helped break up 4 int's in the Ala game alone and atleast another 5-6 throughout the season. He had 10 fumbles and lost 4 of them. 3 of those were against UF and he lost only one of them but the one he did lose set UF up close to the red zone and let UF get right back in the game. Without that Fumble UF never gets in position to cut into the lead then actually taking the lead. They had zero momentum at that stage of the game and was getting late in the 3rd quarter. So no sir unfortunately 2015 wasn't the year he corrected those problems.

Your point about Hurd is still terrible

Your point about Hurd is still terrible

Well that is not just my thoughts and feelings but the majority feelings from many Vol Fans and others outside of Volnation that are able to be non biast. Like I have said a thousand times I am a huge Jalen Hurd fan and he is one of my favorite players on this team. We couldn't ask for a better player to represent the O&W. But just like everyone else I am entitled to my own opinion and haven't said a thing to you about your opinion on it. Obviously you know more than most Vol and Non Vol Fans and will be sure to ask your opinion before expressing mine. I was unaware that someone on here had a much more knowledgeable stance on this and that your opinion ( albeit an opinion that falls in the minority of Vol and Non Vol Fans) is much more important and knowledgeable than everyone else's. But I'm glad you let it be known that you are here and your opinion is the only one that matters. Thanks brother for setting me straight!

Last edited:

So the only acceptable number of QB turnovers is zero - no?

1. Like most have said, passing game improvement. This will be vital to any playoff hopes we have. I feel like we can win the East and make it to Atlanta with the offense we had last year, but if we want to make this a special season we need to have noticeable improvement in the passing game.

2. Special teams. Need to see Medley be more consistent.

3. Coaching. I know it's just Appy State, but I really want to know if we were to get up by 17-20 points in the 3rd quarter very early on if Butch continues to press the gas and has learned from his mistakes, or if we see 2nd and 3rd units coming in. Now, I am not expecting us to choke a 17 point lead to App State, but I NEED to see that he has changed his ways. I want us to show no mercy to our opponents all year long. If you want to keep us from running up the score then stop us. Enough with the sportsmanship and sitting on leads.

4. Defensive line. I really want to see how this rotation works and if KMac has gotten anymore explosive. Want to see improvement from him.

Honorable Mention: No turnovers. A key to this season, like most any game, is to limit our turnovers. I really want to see us take care of the ball and I hope that Dobbs doesn't make any questionable decisions that lead to an easy interception.

Well that is not just my thoughts and feelings but the majority feelings from many Vol Fans and others outside of Volnation that are able to be non biast. Like I have said a thousand times I am a huge Jalen Hurd fan and he is one of my favorite players on this team. We couldn't ask for a better player to represent the O&W. But just like everyone else I am entitled to my own opinion and haven't said a thing to you about your opinion on it. Obviously you know more than most Vol and Non Vol Fans and will be sure to ask your opinion before expressing mine. I was unaware that someone on here had a much more knowledgeable stance on this and that your opinion ( albeit an opinion that falls in the minority of Vol and Non Vol Fans) is much more important and knowledgeable than everyone else's. But I'm glad you let it be known that you are here and your opinion is the only one that matters. Thanks brother for setting me straight!

That's interesting your take on Hurd. Because I think kind of the opposite. He runs angry and looks for contact, almost too much I think. If the D can get to him before or right at the LOS, he doesn't break those very often, so maybe that's where you're going with it. But if he just gets beyond that first initial wave, I think he's extremely hard to bring down, and he often punishes whoever does end up tackling him. If you watch some of his highlights from last year, you'll see many runs where he kept our drives alive by breaking tackles. I wonder what that UGA player's opinion is of whether he goes down easy.

Reactions: 2 people
So the only acceptable number of QB turnovers is zero - no?

In a perfect world hell yea. Do I really have to dumb myself down and explain it to you in elementary school terms? The post asked everyone what are 4 things we are waiting to see in game one. Not sure why you are going all creeper with me and worried about my opinion but here goes. That is one thing besides accuracy that I would like to see and that being will he cut down on turnovers that can kill momentum and even worse cost us the game. Last year he went the wrong direction when it came to turning over the ball. Not sure where you stand on this but I kinda prefer he cut down on turnovers and potential turnovers.. Usually nothing good comes from it. Hell you may like watching football and pulling for Vol players to turn the ball over either by Int or Fumble. If it's cool with you I kinda prefer we don't turn it over and let the other team handle turning it over. But that's just my personal preference and you are definitely more than welcome to go the opposite way of my thinking, to each their own!

Lighten up Frances - just a discussion about football?

I'm pulling for perfect play just like yourself. I'm a realist though and know we won't see it. I hadn't thought of Dobbs as a turnover machine hence my surprise at your point - didn't say you were wrong or insult you or your opinion in any way.

Anyway, I just wanted to say GO VOLS and I'll hang up on this discussion and just listen.

That's interesting your take on Hurd. Because I think kind of the opposite. He runs angry and looks for contact, almost too much I think. If the D can get to him before or right at the LOS, he doesn't break those very often, so maybe that's where you're going with it. But if he just gets beyond that first initial wave, I think he's extremely hard to bring down, and he often punishes whoever does end up tackling him. If you watch some of his highlights from last year, you'll see many runs where he kept our drives alive by breaking tackles. I wonder what that UGA player's opinion is of whether he goes down easy.

Like I said there are times where Hurd plays more physical than he does at other times. The second half of last season he did play more physical than at any other point in his Vol career. But like others have posted on here and one of the more common knocks on Hurd from announcers and other media is he doesn't play as physical as he could/should. As big as he is there have been more times than not that he goes down much easier than he should for a RB his size.If he would be more physical on every one of his runs he could run dudes over consistently. But as I said several announcers have mentioned that he tries to bounce outside too often instead of staying inside and running defensive players a$$es over. Anyone that has really watched Fournette run he seeks out contact and will take any defensive player on. That is the only thing that separates the Fournette,Chubb, Cook and Derek Henry's of the world. The ONLY thing. And again that's not me saying it, it's me repeating what guys who have played the game have said. But right now that's why Hurd isn't consistently mentioned and compared to being an elite RB like Fournette and those other guys I mentioned. It's a quick,easy fix for Jalen and could change those opinion's very quickly. We Vol Fans know he can do it regularly because we have seen him do it. A few ESPN highlights like Fournette had against AU last year could change those opinions quick like.

Last edited:
Lighten up Frances - just a discussion about football?

I'm pulling for perfect play just like yourself. I'm a realist though and know we won't see it. I hadn't thought of Dobbs as a turnover machine hence my surprise at your point - didn't say you were wrong or insult you or your opinion in any way.

Anyway, I just wanted to say GO VOLS and I'll hang up on this discussion and just listen.

I honestly had to google it and get the exact Fumble numbers from last year. I honestly didn't realize it was that many. Like I said he was fortunate because he did Fumble 10 times and lost only 4 of them. And if anybody remembers the Ala game our receivers broke up 4 would be int's and they secondary dropped atleast 3 more potential int's on their own. This was never a knock on Dobb's and definitely not on Jalen. My only thing was if we wanna take the next step to get back to where TN football belongs those turnovers and potential turnovers have to be fixed or we will never win those close games that we lost last year. We are way too damn talented to continue losing to UF and not winning conference championships. We should be winning the East atleast 2 out of every 5 years and being a playoff team at the very least once every 5 or so years. We won't ever be like Ala but nobody else will either. Those 6-6 years and playing in lower tier bowls should be in the rearview and never waiting till our last game of the season to get bowl eligible.I never meant to come across as talking bad about Hurd,Dobb's or any other Vol player. Only thing I meant by any of that was those fumbles,especially 10 of them in one season can be the difference between us being a playoff team and playing in Nashville in a lower tier game. And definitely wasn't a knock on Hurd he could be every bit as good as Fournette,Chubb,McCaffrey and any other RB that is supposedly better than Hurd. I want everyone including NFL scouts looking at Hurd like he would be a franchise back and being mentioned as one of the best RB's to wear O&W and to ever play in the NFL. Btw go Vols and I look forward to seeing Jalen run over opposing defense's!

Last edited:
The best thing you will see Thursday night will be cowboy boots and mini skirts with the ladies

up.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
wanna see how they open on D, even though its App St, our Vols need to play smart and not allow them to have long drawn out possessions.
Go up early and keep the peddle on. The biggest questions surely wont be answered in this game, but I cant wait to see um.....

VN Store

Back