Football Scoop - Randy Shannon has agreed to DC

As of right now I think the players might as well coach themselves. I mean we have some really good talent on both sides of the ball. Enough talent to at least win 8 games next year with the schedule we have. I don't care who the DC cordinator is, if we don't produce next year there will be A LOT of changes this time next year.

I think its going to be Steele/Sunseri as Co DC. That's a hell of a deal when looking at recruiting although it might push LT out the door.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Dooley is too decisive to have two guys in charge of the same thing.

I keep reading posts on here that Hart supposedly has Kirby Smart in his back pocket. They say CKS would be interested in coming to UT as a DC or the next HC (if CDD didn't work out). Does Hart really have that much influence and connection with CKS? Are there any facts that point to this being true or is it pure speculation? I know Hart came from Bama but that is saying a lot that he could get CKS to leave Bama for UT. I know it's off subject. I didn't want to create a new thread. TIA

I keep reading posts on here that Hart supposedly has Kirby Smart in his back pocket. They say CKS would be interested in coming to UT as a DC or the next HC (if CDD didn't work out). Does Hart really have that much influence and connection with CKS? Are there any facts that point to this being true or is it pure speculation? I know Hart came from Bama but that is saying a lot that he could get CKS to leave Bama for UT. I know it's off subject. I didn't want to create a new thread. TIA

Every thing is pure speculation.

Why would Kirby leave what he has for anything less than a top HC position? I can't think of a single reason to come here unless it would be for the HC position and that is not open.

Why would Kirby leave what he has for anything less than a top HC position? I can't think of a single reason to come here unless it would be for the HC position and that is not open.

Maybe you misunderstood me, but that's what I was asking! I didn't say he would or is interested in being DC or HC. THEY were saying that somehow Hart could get Smart to UT because he has him in his back pocket. They were implying that Smart would really consider it because of their relationship. So I was asking basically are Hart and Smart that close? He would be an absolute fool to leave as Bama's DC to be UT's DC!

Last edited:
There are only 2 legitimate reasons that I could see Smart leaving a juggernaut defense at Bama to come to UT: 1)as the HC - not happening right now...there is no way that Dooley is being shown the door after 2 years (but then again maybe that was why he seemed agitated at coaches' convention). 2) The second reason is interesting if you really think about it. Maybe Smart is tired of hearing that the only reason Bama's defense is so good is because it is Saban's defense, not Kirby's. Maybe Kirby is tired of being in the shadow of Saban, and wants to show everyone that Bama's defense is that good because of him too. What better way to do that then to go to another SEC school and establish a great defense? By doing that, if he succeeds, his stock soars even more; he then sets himself up to have the pick of the litter HC job; and if for some reason DD doesn't succeed here in the next 2 years (which I really hope that he does), he could possibly take over the HC job at UT. Just some thoughts as to why it could make some sense for Kirby to come here for a lateral move.

There was speculation around ATM, that Smart was in some part wanted as HC there, but declined due to the situation here.

Last edited:
As of right now I think the players might as well coach themselves. I mean we have some really good talent on both sides of the ball. Enough talent to at least win 8 games next year with the schedule we have. I don't care who the DC cordinator is, if we don't produce next year there will be A LOT of changes this time next year.

If I am not mistaken, is that not what our kickers did last season. Did not work out that well, need coaches.

Maybe you misunderstood me, but that's what I was asking! I didn't say he would or is interested in being DC or HC. THEY were saying that somehow Hart could get Smart to UT because he has him in his back pocket. They were implying that Smart would really consider it because of their relationship. So I was asking basically are Hart and Smart that close? He would be an absolute fool to leave as Bama's DC to be UT's DC!

I saw that too and I am skeptical just like you are. I can't see it happening at all. Pay and who you work for matter a whole lot so one never knows fully but he is set up to be able to pick a HC job.

VN Store

Back