Football concussions, killing the sport?

I lean on discouraging my kid from playing. But it is possible to play safely, just not with an emphasis on big hits.

Also, on the other hand, there's many a things we do that are risky. I don't believe this is as big as an epidemic as others are making. Many people played football through high school and are doing just fine. Many people drive somewhere everyday, and make it out alive.

I lean on discouraging my kid from playing. But it is possible to play safely, just not with an emphasis on big hits.

Also, on the other hand, there's many a things we do that are risky. I don't believe this is as big as an epidemic as others are making. Many people played football through high school and are doing just fine. Many people drive somewhere everyday, and make it out alive.

I know it's not scientific to go off my own personal experience, but my Dad played JC football and I played HS and both of our bodies are damaged for life. That's without factoring any possible head trauma.

BTW, I do think people are getting carried away. The movie looks so stupid.

It's possible that we end up with a game where you're not allowed to lead with the shoulder or helmet on offense or defense. If that saves the sport, I'm OK with it.

I would discourage my kids from playing football and I never thought I'd be saying this.

I feel the same way.

For the many who play and are fine, I still wouldn't choose to test the odds when it comes to my child.

I stand corrected, I've never seen that, or heard of that. you sure they didn't just over eat, and then try to play a sport? I don't think 7/8 years old can hit each other hard enough to cause a concussion.

They do hit hard enough for concussions, however most only happen at practice, rare and trust me its rare for a kid in youth football to get a concussion in a game. I am going in to my 7th year coaching I have been with ages 12 down to 7 and in those 6 years I have never had a kid miss due to a concussion. Its more the parents are freaking out way too easily than the kids are actually getting hurt.

I don't remember ever getting hurt playing Pop Warner football. It wasn't until junior high/middle school football that I remember getting any injury related directly to contact.

Reactions: 1 person
Everyone knows the risks of playing football before they step on the field or send their children on the field. People need to stop blaming the sport and pretending they don't know the risks when something bad happens.

Everyone knows the risks of playing football before they step on the field or send their children on the field. People need to stop blaming the sport and pretending they don't know the risks when something bad happens.

I disagree. Children cannot comprehend the risks they are taking by starting to play football. The sport can be blamed in conjunction with their parents for getting them to put on pads and a helmet.

Reactions: 4 people
I disagree. Children cannot comprehend the risks they are taking by starting to play football. The sport can be blamed in conjunction with their parents for getting them to put on pads and a helmet.

And unfortunately there are many that get pushed into the sport and their parents are ignorant to the risks - will full or not. The risks are too high- I think the game needs to be played in a much different fashion for kids.

I don't understand the belief that helmets (or any other type of equipment for that matter) is the solution to the problem. Better helmets will not prevent concussions. Riddell, Schutt, and all the other companies would have developed one by now.

I encourage anyone that is interested in this topic to read League of Denial

https://www.amazon.com/League-Denia...XKJ6IQ?ie=UTF8&btkr=1&ref_=dp-kindle-redirect

In fact, I think it's a false sense of security which is even more dangerous. People turning themselves into human missiles.

In fact, I think it's a false sense of security which is even more dangerous. People turning themselves into human missiles.

Do you mean kids? If so I can tell you it doesn't happen. Massive collisions rarely and for the most part never happen in a game.

My kids play football, you only live once....Ive not seen any concussions happen at his grade level and the only injury was a broken arm that my son suffered from a freak injury type of thing.

Do you mean kids? If so I can tell you it doesn't happen. Massive collisions rarely and for the most part never happen in a game.

No just in general. Also helps to promote bad form. Without a helmet few would choose to go head first into someone - which is what happened to this kid.

They do hit hard enough for concussions, however most only happen at practice, rare and trust me its rare for a kid in youth football to get a concussion in a game. I am going in to my 7th year coaching I have been with ages 12 down to 7 and in those 6 years I have never had a kid miss due to a concussion. Its more the parents are freaking out way too easily than the kids are actually getting hurt.

This is the wrong way of thinking that has hurt the progress of head tramau and football.

It's not the big jacked up hits that get you. It's all the small, little one you can't see that really add up. Just because a kid doesn't have a big concussion doesn't mean he's not getting affected.

Reactions: 4 people
Arent those new helmets with the hexagon cutout supposed to prevent concussions ?

As a youth coach of 18 years, I say it is, numbers are getting less and less every year, and its the number 1 reason parents tell me they don't want their children to play, I try to educate them, but it's a losing battle.

As a youth coach of 18 years, I say it is, numbers are getting less and less every year, and its the number 1 reason parents tell me they don't want their children to play, I try to educate them, but it's a losing battle.

Agree, people are so paranoid and buying into the hype they hear from the media without knowing facts. In our program about 7 years ago we had about 100 maybe a bit more in the 5-6 year old division, this past year we had about 55

Arent those new helmets with the hexagon cutout supposed to prevent concussions ?

Yes they absorb the impact reducing the force that will reach the head... It's the same reason why cars now will get a huge dent if you lightly bump it

Im assuming their brains were donated because either the player or the players family kind of alrrady knew something was going on with their brain. I think these results paint sort of a false picture.

Im assuming their brains were donated because either the player or the players family kind of alrrady knew something was going on with their brain. I think these results paint sort of a false picture.

It doesn't paint a false picture. But it also doesn't prove anything because the study was circumstantial. They address it in the article.

The guy who just quit the Ravens, Urschel sp?, was just on Freakonomics. He said he quit mostly because he is more interested in finishing a math phd at MIT, but CTE was a factor in scaring him off.

He did point out that the 110 out of 111 brains with CTE is biased by sampling so you can't conclude 99% chance like so many are. He says people don't donate their brains unless they think something is wrong.

VN Store

Back