Fondest trips to Neyland

VolzMan53

#AlwaysNextYear
While I have many to choose from, my fondest will always be those from early 60's. The family would load up in dads truck camper and travel from west Tn, staying most of the time at montgomery state park before arriving early sat morning at Stockley Athletic Center. Tailgating for us was a camper breakfast made by the moms. Us guys(young teens) would play football in the grass of Stockley while the dads walked the streets getting us all tickets, which wasn't a hard thing to do back in the day. This was how We spent almost all of our Thanksgivings(either Vandy or Kentucky). The stadium then was no end zone bleachers, if I remember correctly and the metal bleechers caused ear aches as We stomped our feet for the Big Orange.

Those were the days....how about yours ?

Reactions: 1 person
That's great!

I don't go back quite that far, but I always enjoy going back and seeing friends at their tailgate spot in the G5 lot.

My fondest memory as a kid was the 82 Bama game. We always got there when the gates opened and I would walk to the top of section W and watch the people on the street. I still remember watching the warm-ups that day and seeing Beat Bryant leaning against a goalpost.

First game I went to in 2001 against Vandy ranks up there, as does my first game as a student in 2004 against UNLV.

2004 Florida and 2006 Cal were both awesome games.

Last year against UGA and Carolina are probably the best games I've attended since graduating.

Peyton's last home game with my fiancee' and grandad. Fiancee' became my wife of 17 years and my grandad passed away in February of 2013 after being an usher for 40 years at Neyland.

Peyton's last home game with my fiancee' and grandad. Fiancee' became my wife of 17 years and my grandad passed away in February of 2013 after being an usher for 40 years at Neyland.

I live for these types of stories. I hope one day I can look back and have a similar story.

Last years s car. Game I don't have a lot of wins to chose from but that was a great game and one of the only wins I've seen in person

I remember that game as well. I've never seen a player intro like that ever. It was a surreal day, for sure.

'89 Auburn My Godfather and my Dad flew down for Boston to meet my son for first time born a few weeks before. Game made my Dad a fan for rest of life and beginning of many family days going to Tenn games.

'90 FL

'92 FL in rain sitting in middle of FL band section in the rain with my Dad

'98 Alabama Took my son to his first game at Neyland

'13 South Alabama First time doing the Vol Navy tailgate. Beautiful vessel ..Great friends

Notre Dame 1979. UT - 40 ND - 18. Complete domination by the Vols. I was 15 and took a friend of mine whose father was a ND graduate. I think I witnessed his conversion because during the 4th quarter he bought a Craig Puki jersey.

Since I've only had season tix since '09 and had only been to a handful of games before then, it would be '98 UK for me since is was John Ward's last home game (listened on the radio in the stadium), and '09 UGA since my wife is a UGA fan. :)

Uh, hmmmm, ... I thiiink it was Mississippi State. November 1972. I do remember standing against the top rail of the lower bowl and watching my puke fall forever, turning around and screaming my head off. I don't remember much else, but I was more glad to be alive than most can believe. Neyland was absolutely electric for me. I'd just finished my 365 days as a combat medic at China Beach, Firebase Mary Ann, Phu Bai, and Hue in Viet Nam and been home about 2 weeks. My buds pretty much carried me in and out. How I didn't spend the night in jail, .... no one knows.

Last edited:
2012...I took the entire family, including my son (Peyton) and daughter to Neyland. My parents also came with us. The game was a disappointing finish (thanks Dooley) but it was special because it was my kids first game and because of the opponent, Mizzou. My dad has degrees from both universities so it was also special for him. Being that we now live in Missouri, it was fun to be at Neyland for Mizzou's first visit. Wish the outcome was different but our kids still talk about Smokey and the Checkerboards.

Not my fondest trip to Neyland, but certainly memorable. October 26, 1985. Georgia Tech game ended in a 6-6 tie. After a visit on The Strip, we're walking back to an apartment on Bridge Ave. I tripped on a tree root and fell, catching myself on open palms. Didn't think much of it at the time but a few hours later I'm at the hospital with TWO broken elbows. The following Monday I'm having surgery, getting 2 screws in each elbow. When you loose the use of both arms...you find out who your true friends are!

:eek:

2012...I took the entire family, including my son (Peyton) and daughter to Neyland. My parents also came with us. The game was a disappointing finish (thanks Dooley) but it was special because it was my kids first game and because of the opponent, Mizzou. My dad has degrees from both universities so it was also special for him. Being that we now live in Missouri, it was fun to be at Neyland for Mizzou's first visit. Wish the outcome was different but our kids still talk about Smokey and the Checkerboards.

If last Saturday was any indication, I don't think we have to worry about another home loss this time around. Then again college football is unpredictable, that's what makes it fun.

Penn State 1971 and 1972. Paterno vowing to never bring another Penn State team to Tennessee again. Classic.

Edit: Auburn 1973. Driving rainstorm, several inches of water on the field. We had the lead and we were punting on first down because of the field conditions.

Last edited:
Penn State 1971 and 1972. Paterno vowing to never bring another Penn State team to Tennessee again. Classic.

Edit: Auburn 1973. Driving rainstorm, several inches of water on the field. We had the lead and we were punting on first down because of the field conditions.

Care to elaborate? I've never heard that one!

I haven't been to as many games or as big of games as some (I'm still young), but I've had some great memories.

-1st game was with my dad. Watched Manning beat Vandy in his last game at Neyland.

-We went with my best friend and his dad the next year. Watched from the nosebleeds as we stomped KY on our way to the NC.

-Enjoyed seeing Reggie White's jersey retired in 2005 as a b-day gift.

-Was able to attend Fulmer's last game against KY as a recruit. Was able to go on the field pre-game and see a lot of behind the scenes stuff.

-Win vs. SC last year was one of the most exciting I've been to. Went alone, but had an awesome time with 95,000 friends.

And I always enjoy going to the games with my wife. We've both become even bigger vol fans and enjoy experiencing the games together.

Last edited:
2009 South Carolina: Black Jerseys, Halloween night, my Birthday, 1st trip to Neyland with new gf (now wife).

Not to mention the beatdown.

2007 (oops) Georgia was pretty good too.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back