Flu shot

Have you gotten a flu shot this year?

• Total voters
On this issue I can tell you that we have been swamped in the ER in Gergia and we have seen it in the worst stages in the elderly and children who are the exact people that NEED the flu shot

If you have symptoms on the first or second day GO TO the DR and you can be helped before you show up at an ER with bronchitis or dehydrated

it's a myth you get the flu from the shot..maybe a fever maybe some body aches but the Southeast is getting slammed this year and the flu shot matches the strains very close this year

What part of Georgia are you in?

Got the flu shot and still caught the flu from my mom who also had a flu shot. If you ask me the CDC bet wrong on which strains to put in the flu shot this year. They're claiming they got it right but I think they're FOS. I've been on Tamiflu, antibiotics, and Albuterol inhaler for the last 4 days and every day I wake up I still have a fever of 100. I dread going to bed at night, just sayin'. The only upside is I've managed to stave off the bronchitis.

Put it this way, if someone in your family is sick don't even visit them or run. You'll thank me.

That's what I heard

If you live in Georgia you need one and can go to just about any pharmacy and they have them
You need these yearly
This year the outbreak is bad and it's not too late to get the shot unless you have already been exposed and are about to get sick

Really it's worth the time money and effort

I got scared into going to get a flu shot yesterday. I decided I would drop by Walgreens after seeing their signs for 24-hour flu shots. For some reason I thought I'd walk up to a window, say 'give me a flu shot,' have someone stick me in the arm and be on my way.

No. I waited over an hour after filling out paperwork. I had to then wait behind everyone getting prescriptions filled in the afterwork rush. Pharmacist finally gets free and takes me in the employee lounge to give me the shot. It wasn't very well organized, but I guess that's my fault for deciding to get a shot at a Walgreens.

My job pays for employees to get the shot. It's a $25.00 benefit I won't pass up. They even extend it to $5.00 for family.

This is the first year I'm convinced there was no point in getting the flu shot. I've gotten them every year though.

..Also, folks that get "sick" right after the shot are incorrect to blame the shot because it takes a couple of weeks to run thru the system...

Yeah kind of like swallowed gum takes six years to clear your digestive tract

I never get a flu shot, and I never want to get one. I've seen too many people get a shot just to be sick in bed for a week. My wife got a shot last year and was bed ridden for almost 2 weeks. They give you a shot for the flu that they predict will outbreak and usually miss it. You get a shot for the wrong flu. Thank you, No.

Got the flu shot and still caught the flu from my mom who also had a flu shot. If you ask me the CDC bet wrong on which strains to put in the flu shot this year. They're claiming they got it right but I think they're FOS. I've been on Tamiflu, antibiotics, and Albuterol inhaler for the last 4 days and every day I wake up I still have a fever of 100. I dread going to bed at night, just sayin'. The only upside is I've managed to stave off the bronchitis.

Put it this way, if someone in your family is sick don't even visit them or run. You'll thank me.

Very interesting post. Makes sense.

I wish I was still in the know with respect to current molecular biology. Anybody who is, I would love to know the technical details of this.

Just so you all know, here is the FDA release on this year's strains.

Based on that information and the recommendations of the FDA’s Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee, the strains selected for inclusion in the 2012-2013 flu vaccines are:
A/California/7/2009 (H1N1)-like virus
A/Victoria/361/2011 (H3N2)-like virus
B/Wisconsin/1/2010-like virus.

While the H1N1 virus is the same as what was included in the 2011-2012 influenza vaccines, this year’s influenza H3N2 and B viruses differ from those in the 2011-2012 influenza vaccines.

FDA approves vaccines for the 2012-2013 influenza season

Yes, H1N1 is commonly referred to as the vaccine for the Avian Influenza or Bird Flu, so those of you who didn't want to get a shot for the bird flu, well, if you got a flu shot this year, you got some of that.

as a Soldier I have no choice, it's mandatory that I get one. We seem to get lots of bronchitis and sinus infections in our company, but never the flu. I think most people automatically assume they get the flu just because they get sick.

Reactions: 1 person
I got scared into going to get a flu shot yesterday. I decided I would drop by Walgreens after seeing their signs for 24-hour flu shots. For some reason I thought I'd walk up to a window, say 'give me a flu shot,' have someone stick me in the arm and be on my way.

No. I waited over an hour after filling out paperwork. I had to then wait behind everyone getting prescriptions filled in the afterwork rush. Pharmacist finally gets free and takes me in the employee lounge to give me the shot. It wasn't very well organized, but I guess that's my fault for deciding to get a shot at a Walgreens.

My Walgreen out here is good about this. I've used them a few times. For convenience, you can go to their website and print out the form and fill it out before you go.

You will be glad you did
For those of you that did not see Good Morning America this morning there was a report about the prevalent flu this year calling it an emergency
I am only seeing a strain from Australia that was not included in this years flu shot

If you got the flu after taking the shot then you were already exposed...period
A few body aches and a fever is it unless you are allergic

I am in Atlanta and we were slammed all night last night...good way to catch the flu if you didn't have it already
I am really urging all of you to get the shot...really ..when you see someone with the flu..you will know it and they will look like they have been
a drug addict with no sleep nor food

I am telling all of you...this year is a *****

as a Soldier I have no choice, it's mandatory that I get one. We seem to get lots of bronchitis and sinus infections in our company, but never the flu. I think most people automatically assume they get the flu just because they get sick.

That's exactly the problem. People don't get that sinus infections and other viruses aren't the flu. 90% of what gets called flu just isn't the flu.

And, yes, you can still get a strain not covered in the vaccination, but doesn't it kind of make sense to cover some strains vs. being susceptible to all of them? The logic of "I got sick last year after getting a flu shot, so I'm not taking one this year" makes me shake my head.

We sent over 50 samples to the CDC this year, only ONE strain was not covered by the shot and only 4 patients all from the same family

This strain is from Australia and is hitting Europe HARD
This will become more prevalent with the reality of International flights

If you do not want a shot take the nasal spray

PLEASE don't believe the Urban Myth about the flu shot...it is simply not true..we inject with a dead virus and it does not replicate...ever not possible cannot happen
If you have the flu after taking the shot you have already been exposed ...period

Just so you all know, here is the FDA release on this year's strains.

FDA approves vaccines for the 2012-2013 influenza season

Yes, H1N1 is commonly referred to as the vaccine for the Avian Influenza or Bird Flu, so those of you who didn't want to get a shot for the bird flu, well, if you got a flu shot this year, you got some of that.

Let me suggest and since it's free you can take it or leave it
This best way is for you to drink a TON of fluids..If you aren't going to the bathroom every single hour then you are not drinking enough

I suggest a multi vitamin and the stress relief formula is what I reccomend
Treat yourself for the fever every 4-6 hours depending on whether it is Tylenol or advil

Keep taking your meds but the antibiotics were probably given to you to make you think they will work unless the Dr for some reason suspected an underlying infection
I am surprised they gave you Aderol without bronchitis or asthma or smoking...I don't ...that crap can make you jumpy and irritable

The CDC was alost dead on this year
I saw an average of 15 patients an hour last night with the flu...understand at our hospital we have a clinic type situation for flu cuts and bruises and we send major illness to through the complete ER

NONE of these people had the flu shot...about the time I sent over 15 kids to the children's side dehydrated
I was thinking their parents should get the flu EVERY year till they learn how to responsibly parent and NO I do not want to hear the crap about the danger of vaccines
Too many kids have come to see me for things that could have been easily prevented and they are the ones that suffer not the DA parents

r

We sent over 50 samples to the CDC this year, only ONE strain was not covered by the shot and only 4 patients all from the same family

This strain is from Australia and is hitting Europe HARD
This will become more prevalent with the reality of International flights

If you do not want a shot take the nasal spray

PLEASE don't believe the Urban Myth about the flu shot...it is simply not true..we inject with a dead virus and it does not replicate...ever not possible cannot happen
If you have the flu after taking the shot you have already been exposed ...period

I agree with all of this and did get the shot. My office mate did not get a flu shot and he ended up flat on his back with severe flu-like symptoms this past weekend. He came back to work on Tuesday still suffering, but since we don't have sick days he felt he had to come in as he has to pay his bills. He is at least the third sick person I've been in close contact with and I haven't had even a sniffle (*knocks on wood*).

I agree with all of this and did get the shot. My office mate did not get a flu shot and he ended up flat on his back with severe flu-like symptoms this past weekend. He came back to work on Tuesday still suffering, but since we don't have sick days he felt he had to come in as he has to pay his bills. He is at least the third sick person I've been in close contact with and I haven't had even a sniffle (*knocks on wood*).

Nothing against you and bandvol but I choose not to believe it.

As I posted before. Got shot one time. Week later sick as a dog. Never again. Over 10 years have passed and never been sick from it. And I've been around folks with the flu.

Now I do have a very strong immune system. And I heal very fast.

I KNOW many people who have the exact same attitude especially with college age students.....that is of course before I see them in the ER and they look half dead

I truly hope you don't get sick this year is bad ..Please wash your hands alot and stay away from sick people even those that have a headache and fever

As I posted before. Got shot one time. Week later sick as a dog. Never again. Over 10 years have passed and never been sick from it. And I've been around folks with the flu.

Flu shot takes 2-3 weeks to fully take effect. It was unrelated to whatever you had.

I don't mean To preach but my wife is in healthcare and I hear it all the time. She's constantly telling me how nutty people are about their health.

Reactions: 2 people

My wife is constantly on my ass about getting flu shot. I got the shot one time about 15 years ago, and ended up getting the damn flu anyway. That was also the only time in my life that I can recall getting the flu. Irrational or not, I will not get the shot.

I refuse to get a flu shot because there is nothing a good blood letting wont fix.

My wife is constantly on my ass about getting flu shot. I got the shot one time about 15 years ago, and ended up getting the damn flu anyway. That was also the only time in my life that I can recall getting the flu. Irrational or not, I will not get the shot.

I get same treatment from wife too. She's finally given up. The only thing I'm worried about is my son. He's 10.

I KNOW many people who have the exact same attitude especially with college age students.....that is of course before I see them in the ER and they look half dead

I truly hope you don't get sick this year is bad ..Please wash your hands alot and stay away from sick people even those that have a headache and fever

While our opinions differ. I appreciate your input as well.

My youngest children are 10 and 6 and YES I went and made sure they had flu shots ..Way too many working parents or for that matter parents who do not know their kid are running a fever and maybe a mild cough and they send them to school

Schools are just notorious for passing crap around
This is the stage where it is most likely to spread

I get same treatment from wife too. She's finally given up. The only thing I'm worried about is my son. He's 10.

VN Store

Back