Florida will be tougher than everyone thinks

OK, call me nuts.

Vol win vs. UF is a lock. UT would have beaten them by 14+ last Sat.

Vs. UT instead of BG, Gillislee doesn't get 100, Vols get 2-3 picks.

I don't see any reason why it won't be the same next week.

Look for TAMU to blitz A lot, further exposing the 2 freshmen QBs at UF. I predict Brissette starts in Neyland.

Last edited:
OK, call me nuts.

Vol win vs. UF is a lock. UT would have beaten them by 14+ last Sat.

Vs. UT instead of BG, Gillislee doesn't get 100, Vols get 2-3 picks.

I don't see any reason why it won't be the same next week. I want to see TAMU blitz A lot.

You want TAMU to blitz a mobile QB who can get outside the pocket and make plays with his legs?

Okay.

If I'm TAMU I play zone with a spy and make Driskel prove he's accurate enough to beat me with his arm.

FL has a couple problems coming in this year. First is the schedule. Having to play us as the second road game in three games is not their gig. They've jealously guarded the two home subdivision scrimmages for years. A&M should be a serious challenge. A&M is not the strongest team to enter SEC play, but I guarantee they've been pointing to this debut for a year now so the team and stadium will be pumped. FL may or may not win, but they will get popped!

The second issue is their offense. No matter how good the defense is, Bray will find more than one open receiver to use. We'll get 21+ points. The FL offense has spent the off-season installing an unproven motion-based package. The tight end lines up in the backfield or the fullback lines up in the slot or wide-outs swap sides of the field pre-snap.
Other than being a nightmare to administrate, this package has as much, if not more, opportunity to confuse the offense rather than the intended effect upon the defense. Imagine cutting your playclock down to 5 - 8 seconds to get all of your reads after you re-align.

I have no doubt that Sal is doing the happy dance waiting for this Keystone Kops package to show up on Shields-Watkins.

Reactions: 2 people
it's just nice to go into a florida game not being 100% sure that we will lose. Last year was still too early to be confident in a W. Before then, we knew it was a loss every year for many years.

I watched most of that game,and I think fla showed more than what they wanted to against bg. They could barely move the ball on offense,and bg was wearing that D out. Their QB struggled throwing the ball,and their rb had an ok game,but it was against bg. I dont think they showed everything,but bg could have easily won that game if not for a couple missed fieldgoals,and missed opportunities in the redzone. They will still come to Knoxville and play us tough as always. We will see what they are really made of saturday. I have a feeling that tam puts a beatdown on them for their sec debut. Def would not get a big head and start calling them a cupcake team though.

Florida has a lot of 4 and 5 star players. :) They can't be as bad as many are making them out to be.

You want TAMU to blitz a mobile QB who can get outside the pocket and make plays with his legs?

Okay.

If I'm TAMU I play zone with a spy and make Driskel prove he's accurate enough to beat me with his arm.

He's right on that. Driskell can only hit a non-moving target. When he throws to someone on the run, he hasn't figured out how to lead them yet. I thought the other guy is the better passer. Driskell runs very well.

The gators overlooked BG and almost payed the price. If BG had a kicker, the gators would have been in a heap of doo.

That said, I hope the gators beyotch slap A&M into the SEC then roll in on us way over confident.

I would prefer UFs QBs to be anything but confident coming into Neyland.

There's a LOT of talent on the Florida team. Can we beat them? Yes.
Will we? Not sure.

I think they will eventually put it together and then they will be very tough.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Okay.

Driskell in the open is a huge target, as Alabama proved last year.

The more he runs, the more likely he is to get hit and the less likely UF is to figure our how to throw the ball effectively.

There's a LOT of talent on the Florida team. Can we beat them? Yes.
Will we? Not sure.

I think they will eventually put it together and then they will be very tough.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I don't think their offense will have it together in 2 weeks. They looked awful Saturday.

Driskell in the open is a huge target, as Alabama proved last year.

The more he runs, the more likely he is to get hit and the less likely UF is to figure our how to throw the ball effectively.

You named one of the only teams who could do this with a mobile qb. I think you contain Qb's like Shaw, Driskel, and Denard and see if they have enough arm talent to dictate the defense.

That screen out to the flats was one play they didn't want to show until later on, some of the plays that gave Driskoll the option to run were supposed to be held back, I would say.

I don't think the Gators showed anything at all on Saturday and I will stop just short of saying they wanted to be vanilla and look the way they did. I am sure they will tighten up and we will see a ton more after the A&M game. I hope they get the heck beat out of them and come into the UT game with a limp from the previous week. Looking at threads saying they are a "cupcake" is just stupid. Come on Vols fans you make us all look stupid when you post that mess. With that said, it should be more of a game this year than in the last few. So Go Vols and hopefully the world of college football is still overlooking us come gametime.
We have a LOT of "stupid" fans. It is what it is :crazy:

You named one of the only teams who could do this with a mobile qb. I think you contain Qb's like Shaw, Driskel, and Denard and see if they have enough arm talent to dictate the defense.

Beat me to it.

We share the same opinion.

I watched BGSU - Florida on ESPN 3 last night. Here's what I saw:

Florida's QBs can't throw to save their lives; if they don't get it together we are going to be pulling down interceptions on the 15th. BGSU could not and it cost them.

Florida's WRs got open: I don't know how they will do against our secondary, but they were open when the QBs threw it in the dirt.

If they can't find a passing game, Florida is in danger of being as one dimensional as we were last year. BGSU's D looked great because they had every available man in the box.

Florida D played extremely aggressive and suffered for it. There was a series of delayed hand-offs down the middle from BGSU that just looked unstoppable. If Neal or Lane are willing to take a few hits, there are yards to gain between the tackles.

VN Store

Back