Florida game confidence

2ez, I posted elsewhere that this was a problem for O playcalling as well. The reason I think Jones learned his lesson (probably began listening to DeBord, who I have a lot of respect for), is a rewatch of the season. Jones started going for a lot of 4th downs late in the season. Breaking Josh out on designed runs more often. He just became more aggressive, and less conservative overall.

Personally, I just think that Jones became more aggressive, and I think it will continue into this season. After the bad collapses, I remember one of the announcers saying that Butch had had a team meeting and told the players to stop playing scared. Stop being scared of making mistakes. Go out and play aggressive and let the mistakes be in him. That seems like he recognized the issue and took steps to change it. Between that and the change in play calling, I think it was a turning point.

When UT got a lead, coaches coached not to lose. Players picked up on this and got tight. It seems that as the season progressed, both coaches and players learned from this. Play-calling and play-making got more aggressive, and the team's talent and confidence showed as the season progressed.

:hi:

While Jones’ team meeting following the Arkansas gm certainly had a positive effect I’ll stop short of agreeing that play calling became aggressive because of what Jones learned when in fact it may just be due to an ease of the remaining schedule.
Further, there was what five throws of 40+ yards the entire year? Truly being aggressive means Jones is going to have to test / stretch the defense and so far he’s failed to do so even the second half of the schedule that had some soft secondary's

It's also my opinion that's why Jancek is gone. I think he fundamentally disagreed with Jones' change of principle on this, and Jones sent him packing. I think it's no accident that Jones then hired one of the most aggressive DCs in college football as a replacement.

:hi:

As for Jancek’s departure, here again I’m not entirely confident that had certain events not taken place still he would not be DC. I think his departure has to do more with his inappropriate actions / behavior

With regards to Shoop I’m very happy with his hire, but honestly I question whether Jones would have approached Shoops if he were in another conference and never coached VU

I'm looking at a bigger picture. Team 120, Is facing something only 1 other team in the history if UT Football has faced. A possible 12 year losing streak.

With the funny way a football can bounce, and how back and forth this game was prior to the streak, along with the way these 11 games have found a way to result in a gator win. I realize, that's how the ball bounces and all, but puzzling. I'm not disputing that we got beat by maybe the worst Florida team in recent history, but it happen in the mist of 5 years of chaos.

Jump higher Vols?

VN Store

Back