'19 FL OL Chris Akporoghene (Tennessee signee)

$5 for anyone who can pronounce his name fluently, without stopping after (AK) but entire thing without stopping...

$5 for anyone who can pronounce his name fluently, without stopping after (AK) but entire thing without stopping...

Asparagus.

tenor.gif

Reactions: 5 people
Anybody know what the different "stripes" mean in terms of these Rivals camps?

Anybody know what the different "stripes" mean in terms of these Rivals camps?
Its called 3 stripe camp because its sponsored by Adidas whose logo is 3 stripes
Rivals 3 Stripe Camp Series presented by adidas

“i didn’t plan on going to tennessee’s camp,” said akporoghene. “the coaches contacted me to come in because they’re trying to start something great, and they wanted guys like me just to show up and work. "since i was good and close, i decided to go there and go work out. … they ended up telling me that they need a guy like me with skill to come be a part of the vols’ family.”

akporoghene moved from nigeria to the knoxville area three years ago to pursue college opportunities in the united states. His family still is in nigeria, but the family that has hosted him in tennessee over the past few years naturally isn’t opposed to the idea of having him play for the vols. “for my family, that’s huge for them," akporoghene said. “but i kind of think they’re joining the race — i don’t know. They’re late, you know? They’re late in the race and that kind of stuff.

“they’ll have to have something really good, something that would really, really convince me to come in, because they’re joining in late. But, for me, i just went there to work and just go dominate and just do my thing. They’ll have to convince my family to get me there. "don’t get me wrong: I like tennessee. I mean, i’ve visited that place 10 times, all through the time i’ve been in knoxville. I’ve been to some of the games. I was at camp last year. And, for my family, that’s home. It would make them happy to know that i play for the university of tennessee, and it would make me happy, too. “but i want to go to a place where i’m considered a main priority.”

after tuesday's camp, first-year tennessee coach jeremy pruitt and his staff let akporoghene know that they plan to make him a priority moving forward. “they told me that, now that they’ve seen the kind of player that i am and how much i can help the team, that’s going to be huge because they’re going to be recruiting me pretty hard now,” akporoghene said. “they know what kind of guy i am and how i can help them, so they’re going to be on me every day.”

“from what i see, i think they’re a lot better than the last staff,” akporoghene said. "from what i saw, the coaches this time, they want to make a difference. I mean, they’ve made that pretty clear because, from the words that they told me, the program was going through a lot and they’re trying to bring it back to its former glory. “now they’re trying to get guys who can ball, who can make a difference — not just any kind of player — and they’re trying to get guys who can actually make a difference on the team. And they sounded really convincing. I think they’re going to be one of the top teams this year.”

he said he also enjoyed working with offensive line coach will friend during tuesday's camp. “i mean, i learned a lot from him," akporoghene said. "just the few hours that i was with him, i learned a lot of good stuff i didn’t know before. Things that he showed me to use, i used it in one-on-one and it just worked. “it’s really nice to be able to work with a guy who knows exactly what to do and who sees potential in kids and can teach them how to become what they were meant to be. I think he’s a great coach.”

He's planning to decide soon. Over the next few weeks.

Reactions: 10 people
you know, i don't mind that kind of honesty. it'll make it a lot easier for this staff to recruit him. they at least know where he stands, and don't have play the guessing game. don't know if it will pay off, but it seems like they at least made an impression on the kid.

Reactions: 1 person
Because they want to establish the practice of only offering people they see in person at their camp? Maybe?

This turned out to be true. Even though he camped at UT last year, it wasn’t their camp. They trust their evaluations, and those evaluations need to be in person.

I don't remember anyone mentioning he lived in Knoxville for a while and had been to campus that many times.

The journey watching Chris has been a joy for us at NPA. He came to us from Nigeria and lived in Knoxville. He was at TKA and trained with Tiny while he was there and even before and after his short stint working there. He is a very strong kid and works very hard. He has not missed 1 single camp while here in Tennessee. Can't wait to see what the future holds for him.

Reactions: 10 people
Tennessee continues to be the only major school that can't be 5 seconds late to offer a kid.

It may seem that way but recruiting is all about relationships. And the fact is this kid hasn't been recruited hard by UT but has by many other big time schools. Look at his offer list, it's rather impressive. It would be different if his best offer was Tulane and UT offered now. Honestly, I can't blame the kid if he goes elsewhere, somewhere that has made him a priority for months or even years. Either way, not worried about OL recruiting.

Reactions: 4 people
It may seem that way but recruiting is all about relationships. And the fact is this kid hasn't been recruited hard by UT but has by many other big time schools. Look at his offer list, it's rather impressive. It would be different if his best offer was Tulane and UT offered now. Honestly, I can't blame the kid if he goes elsewhere, somewhere that has made him a priority for months or even years. Either way, not worried about OL recruiting.

I don’t even know how to digest that last line , it’s been so long since we were able to utter those words . I like it .. it gives me the “ Feels “ 😂

VN Store

Back