FIVETHIRTYEIGHT piece on the Vols

friVOLity

Is Tennessee Football Back? We’ll Know If They Beat Bama.

I thought this might interest some folks. I'm not sure the Vols have to beat Alabama this year to be "back" - there were definitely some great years back in the day even with losses to Alabama. But there's lots of interesting stats and analysis in here, and I love the hope in the air.

GO VOLS!!

We're back already regardless of the Bama outcome. How do I know we are back?
We're fun to watch.
Fans expect to win.
We are getting national attention.
Our player is in the running for a national award.
Other teams cannot over look us or chalk up an auto L.
We are legit contenders for coveted recruits.
We are 19 months from (arguably) the lowest point in our program's recent history.

“Tennessee’s nasty offensive line underpins all of this success. The unit allows pressure on just 16.1 percent of dropbacks, the second-lowest rate in FBS, despite facing a blitz once every three snaps, well above the national average of 27 percent. Even when defenses bring heat, Hooker has the time he needs to use his rocket launcher. The Vols also have an efficient running game, led by Hooker and tailbacks Jaylen Wright and Jabari Small. They are 13th in FBS in expected points added per game from rushing. And when the offensive line smells blood, it gets it: Tennessee has reached goal-to-go on 17 drives this season and has scored a touchdown on every single one of them. The national touchdown rate on such drives is 76 percent, and no other team is at 100 percent with more than 10 goal-to-go possessions.”

Really striking stats there. Our o-line is underrated imo.

“Tennessee’s nasty offensive line underpins all of this success. The unit allows pressure on just 16.1 percent of dropbacks, the second-lowest rate in FBS, despite facing a blitz once every three snaps, well above the national average of 27 percent. Even when defenses bring heat, Hooker has the time he needs to use his rocket launcher. The Vols also have an efficient running game, led by Hooker and tailbacks Jaylen Wright and Jabari Small. They are 13th in FBS in expected points added per game from rushing. And when the offensive line smells blood, it gets it: Tennessee has reached goal-to-go on 17 drives this season and has scored a touchdown on every single one of them. The national touchdown rate on such drives is 76 percent, and no other team is at 100 percent with more than 10 goal-to-go possessions.”

Really striking stats there. Our o-line is underrated imo.
They’ve looked considerably better than last year. Is Elarbee the coach? Cant exactly remember who it is, but he’s done well.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
They’ve looked considerably better than last year. Is Elarbee the coach? Cant exactly remember who it is, but he’s done well.
He’s developed those guys better than any UT o-line coach in recent memory. We were missing our starting left tackle against a team with good to elite talent on their defensive line and we didn’t miss a beat.

Is Tennessee Football Back? We’ll Know If They Beat Bama.

I thought this might interest some folks. I'm not sure the Vols have to beat Alabama this year to be "back" - there were definitely some great years back in the day even with losses to Alabama. But there's lots of interesting stats and analysis in here, and I love the hope in the air.

GO VOLS!!
Really well written article and not just because it was positive for us.

Reactions: friVOLity
OP observation-- that is what I was thinking. Inside the twenty we score. Inside the ten we score touchdowns. With confidence! Unreal!

Reactions: friVOLity
I agree with all the comments to the effect that being competitive with Alabama is being "back." In the latest installment of my new favorite football podcast (TENNESSEE POWER HOUR) Withrow walked through a couple decades of history of this rivalry, and even in the "good old days," being competitive even when we lost is what made it a great rivalry. I ALWAYS want to beat Alabama. We were competitive into the fourth quarter last year - I'd love to see that carry through this year to the final bell.

IT'S GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL! 🤞❤️🍊🏈

Reactions: gr82btnvol

VN Store

Back