Five things to watch for Florida

I hope your right but he hasn't been held back. Maybe he knows a few more plays which might help but there is a ton of film on CP. I also hope we don't try the reverse because they've had 3 years to plan for it and florida is quick.

You may be right. Still, I'd like to believe that with his talent (and I truly believe he'll be the most NFL-ready player on the field Saturday), Chaney will have several plays drawn up specifically to get the ball in his hands in space.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a handoff in the backfield at some point either.

1. Can UT continue to protect Tyler Bray against UF's vaunted pass defense?- UF has a nasty front seven; it's the strength of their team. UT has kept Bray's good looking orange jersey orange and no hint of green. Muschamp likes to blitz, but hasn't been with Florida in most situations. It'll be interesting to see if Muschamp dials up pressure from other places against Bray. If they can't, Bray will light Florida up.

2. Can Florida attack the weak spot of UT's defense effectively?- Florida has two talented TE's/H-backs in Jordan Reed and Trey Burton. UT's weakness has been middle of the field pass defense. This seems like a bad mismatch for UT. If Florida can find holes between the hashmarks for their TE's, it will open up the run game for Florida.

3. How will Florida guard Justin Hunter and Cordarelle Patterson? Florida's weakness on D is their corners. They aren't that good, especially in man. If Florida wants to blitz, they have to go zone...and Bray has destroyed zones in his career when there's no pressure in his face. It will be interesting to see how UF wants to guard Patterson and Hunter. Will they force them outside, limit their ability to find space, but risk getting beat long? Or will they try and contain them inside, but risk getting pick apart in the middle? Florida is going to have a tough time finding an answer.

4. How much does UT have to run it, and how successful do they have to be?- Not a ton, but must get consistent yards. The strength of UT is the passing game. You never, ever go away from your strengths. But you have to find balance, or Florida will just drop seven and get pressure from their front line, who can pin their ears back and go. With the no huddle, UT should get 70 plays in since Florida is going to try and control the clock. As a UT fan, you hope for 30 runs, and 150 yards. That should be the goal.

5. How nervous should Vol fans be about the kicking game?- Very. This is going to be a very close, contested game. These teams are close to evenly matched. These kind of games are won by turnovers and by special teams. UT doesn't need 50 yard field goals and punts inside the five. But they need to hit everything inside 35 yards, and not give Florida good field position. Florida's kicking game is good, and has the advantage. UT cannot screw up in the kicking game.

And a bonus: Just something I find interesting. In past UT-UF games, it's always been "UT must control the clock and limit UF's chances on offense." The script has flipped. UF has to run the ball well or they are doomed, while UT runs the dangerous, open no huddle offense. Just something I found interesting and how program philosophies have changed over the years.

The only problem I have with this is that Florida does not play a lot of zone. They mostly play straight man and will continue to do so next week. Muschamp will rush 4 and drop 7 all day if it generates pressure. He likes to rely on a 4 man rush if he can.

The other thing, Florida's corners, are probably the most underrated part of the defense. The line gets a lot of hype, much of it undeserved IMO, but the corners are fast and athletic. And the two primary starters right now, Watkins and Roberson, are both 6'0-6'1. So it's not like they're short. Riggs is the short guy, and he does play nickel a lot, but he's not a bad player by any stretch. Josh Evans at safety is also 6'1.

The issue that Florida will present to UT is physicallity at the LOS. Tennessee hasn't played a game yet where they got punched in the mouth. Florida has, and I think that will slow down UT's passing game a bit. All the contact.

Additionally, UF isn't going to be giving up anything deep, so Bray is going to have to be patient and work UT down the field. I think UT will move very effectively between the 20's, but it will be their performance in the redzone that determines whether they win or not. If UF is forcing FGs, then UT is in trouble.

In the Texas A&M game, Driskel hit some very small windows in the seams (over the middle).
The only weakness that I've seen is when he is forced to move out of the pocket (he does not look downfield).
Florida makes up for this weakness by using a delayed screen (with the running back). So, even if we bring pressure, we will have to scheme to contain Driskel (running or the screen).

He threw over the middle a few times in that game but didn't come close to the kind of execution we saw from Glennon. Driskel throws the ball with velocity when he has to time to deliver, but his delivery is a little slow. Also, I didn't really see him make any progressions, nor do I remember him even attempting any deep balls. It's a little premature to say he only has one weakness.

Also, I don't think A&M has near the same athleticism that we bring to the table defensively.

I think one thing missing is just composure. Wether that be TB's check downs or throw aways when pressured or Palardy shanking XP's or our RB's dancing around in the backfield. I hope our players and coaches are settled and confident and ready to play their game. Too often we've beaten ourselves when playing FL.

He threw over the middle a few times in that game but didn't come close to the kind of execution we saw from Glennon. Driskel throws the ball with velocity when he has to time to deliver, but his delivery is a little slow. Also, I didn't really see him make any progressions, nor do I remember him even attempting any deep balls. It's a little premature to say he only has one weakness.

Also, I don't think A&M has near the same athleticism that we bring to the table defensively.

I concede the point that we are more athletic than A&M, but the A&M defense is more disciplined than we are (now). A&M played very tight coverage (in the flat and hook areas), and Driskel still made completions. Our weak points have been covering these areas.

The question remains, can we use our athletes to pressure Driskel out of the pocket so that he does not make these reads, and still contain him (running and screens)?

I concede the point that we are more athletic than A&M, but the A&M defense is more disciplined than we are (now). A&M played very tight coverage (in the flat and hook areas), and Driskel still made completions. Our weak points have been covering these areas.

The question remains, can we use our athletes to pressure Driskel out of the pocket so that he does not make these reads, and still contain him (running and screens)?

FL will get lucky some they have the speed to find the corner on occassion. We also still aren't playing lights out on our defensive aasignments either. If we play our game this should not be a 20pt game. We'll need to score 4+ touchdowns to win this IMO. We'll also need to simply play good red zone and hold them to field goals on occassion.

1. Can UT continue to protect Tyler Bray against UF's vaunted pass defense?- Yes.

2. Can Florida attack the weak spot of UT's defense effectively?- Sal's adjustments are key.

3. How will Florida guard Justin Hunter and Cordarelle Patterson? The "island" is a lonely place. If UF's front seven is unable to pressure Bray UT's Engineering / Maintenance Dept will be busy changing scoreboard light bulbs next week./B]

4. How much does UT have to run it, and how successful do they have to be?- As a UT fan, you hope for 30 runs, and 150 yards. That should be the goal. Agreed.

5. How nervous should Vol fans be about the kicking game?- Very. This is going to be a very close, contested game. These teams are close to evenly matched. These kind of games are won by turnovers and by special teams. UT doesn't need 50 yard field goals and punts inside the five. But they need to hit everything inside 35 yards, and not give Florida good field position. Florida's kicking game is good, and has the advantage. UT cannot screw up in the kicking game. < This

And a bonus: Just something I find interesting. In past UT-UF games, it's always been "UT must control the clock and limit UF's chances on offense." The script has flipped. UF has to run the ball well or they are doomed, while UT runs the dangerous, open no huddle offense. Just something I found interesting and how program philosophies have changed over the years.
I still controlling tempo is in important. Advantage = Tennessee.

The key to the game is can Florida run the ball. If not its NCSU all over again with Driskel in the Glennon role. I don't expect the Vols can run much on that Gator front but they are banged up and will not be able to out number the Vols in the box. So maybe TN runs enough to keep play action plausible.

It will most likely be a 4 quarter SEC slopper knocker with the team doing the best job with the Maxim's winning.

I think we can contain the pass rush, and Bray stays upright. I'm VERY confident in this team's ability to pass protect. Run blocking is a different story.

Bray's got a quick release, and has proven he can avoid the rush.

I'm really concerned with the kicking game. Darr needs to do what he did on those first few punts against NC State, and I hope we don't have to depend on Palardy/Brodus. I doubt Devrin or CP get a chance to get a decent kick return off.

We're going to be in Driskel's face all game long. I'm fairly positive he's going to throw INT's.

Just some random thoughts. Gut feeling, right now, is we win by 7 to 10. (that prediction might change. Probably)

Another thing that could be a factor; Florida is coming off a 4 qtr brawl, they're beat up and most likely physically and emotionally drained. They have owned the Vols since all their team got on campus. Just how up for this game will they be? Tennessee on the other hand just came off a full speed scrimmage with a really good scout team and has fresh legs and should be ready to rumble.

Guess we'll see.

against tam fla blitzed about 9 times in the first half and were burned fairly consistently, they didnt blitz a single time in the second half and tightened up on D .. be interesting to see which version fla brings against TN

against tam fla blitzed about 9 times in the first half and were burned fairly consistently, they didnt blitz a single time in the second half and tightened up on D .. be interesting to see which version fla brings against TN

some of the talking heads seem to think Florida will play bump and run with Patterson and Hunter with safety help over the top. If they blitz LB's out of this Rivera and our RB's should have a field day catching the ball.

The only issue that Florida will present to UT is whether the refs call every penalty or let a few go uncalled. Florida holds like hell and grabs handfuls of jersey whenever possible (see last years game), and I think that will slow down UT's passing game a bit. All the pass interference and such.
You can say that again. :)

NCSU all over again? Nah, Driskel < Glennon. I'll take that all day/everyday.

I've more confidence in our Return game. Hopefully we won't have to punt or punt often. Palardy's KO's are fine. I think we're good w/ Brodus kicking PAT's / FG's.

Vols need to win the takeaway / turnover battle. I think Driskel gets pressured into poor decisions = INT's / Sacks

Manziel not Bray. Florida front seven is banged up (already minus 2 LB's), would not want to be a Florida DB this Saturday.

Florida's "D" is supposedly their strength. If that is the case...lg day for the Gators in my opinion.

The orange has finally turned to favor Tennessee. Streak ends Saturday. IMO

i think you might end up being surprised by our corners

i definitely wouldnt say they arent very good

florida is gonna blitz and grab our receivers all day long. On offensive the gators will try to get gillislee going mainly to the outside.
I hope Dooley's staff contacts the ref's before the game and greatly emphasize that there WILL be a ton of contact/holding from the UF defenders during the game, and to be looking for it. It was REALLY bad last year.

Good analysis, I think you definitely hit on a couple of key aspects to the game. From a gator perspective I'd say:

1. UF's front seven is probably the strength of the team. However, last year we were gashed up the middle by some of the better teams we faced. If you're gonna establish a running game against UF....I'd run straight at us. A&M's qb had some success scrambling (which I can't imagine Bray doing much of) but once we stopped overpursuing their offense vanished. As for pass rush, this is probably THE game where we'll miss Ronald Powell. Watch out for Dante Fowler to get some snaps and make an impact (he's a freshman...but doesn't look like it).

2. I'd love to sit here and say UF was gonna toss the rock all over the field....but the truth is I think we need Gillislee, and we need to run the ball. That said, Driskel is getting settled and looked pretty good/accurate last week. However, he holds the ball WAY too long at times.

3. I have to disagree with the claim that UF's corners/secondary are weak. Certainly Patterson/Hunter are gonna be a nightmare for just about anyone to cover, but I actually think UF's db's are pretty solid. Roberson is a stud. Watkins and Purifoy are both very athletic. Elam is great in run support...and has improved immensely in coverage. UT has the advantage here, but even taking my O & B glasses I think UF has a solid secondary.

4. going back to point 1...if you're gonna run on UF run straight downhill. Or at least that should be the plan.

5. Haven't seen much of UT's special teams/kicking game...but my gut says that UF has the advantage here. Sturgis is a very good kicker (range 50+).

Amen... if Sentimore and Smith can drop Driskel early a few times, he could be very shaky all day.

I hope that happens but the same goes for Bray. He's not going to have the protection like he did the first 2 games and I'm prayin' he throws it away and takes no chances for a INT. Fewest mistakes win this game.

VN Store

Back