Fishing Pictures Thread

I cross the Buford dam every week taking my wife to the Dr. I've never fished that far over on the river, but I see people out in the river wading almost every time. I have friends who have caught some big ones there. God willing, when she is able, I'm going to take some stuff and try it one day after the Dr. As far as the Chattahoochee in general, it's like the soque, it's all around me. I can be at either within a few minutes, and literally live about a mile from where they run together. I don't have access there, but used to, my buddy moved though. Probably one of the best spots I've ever been, and you could catch almost anything.
Call for the dam release schedule and you have to wear a life jacket if you are fishing hwy 20 or North.

Reactions: joevol33
View attachment 605191
I wouldnt make fun of you, friend.

Ive only fished the Hooch around Helen, and the lake portion, sparingly on Phenix side. If it holds like other tailwaters, assuming it is? Trout up top, moving on to smallmouth, catfish, and then other bass.

Is it the Gallatin? No. But ive caught a bunch of trout of the Chattahoochee. Anyone snubbing their noses doesnt know how to fly fish.

Id target catfish if I thought id catch them.

Carp are some of the pickiest fish on planet, smart too.
fish.png

This is the biggest fish I've ever caught and I completely mangled the fish trying to get the hook out. Haha = not exactly fish waders and a big rainbow trout.

The only reason I was fishing that day is because my 6'11" friend asked me too: I used to have to beg him to come to my house to play hoops at my house because he's huge and a pretty good defender or someone for me to practice shooting over. During covid, we'd play 2 on 2 nearly everyday.

He's also a total wall flower, really quiet, Type B personality and a gentle giant. Meanwhile, I'm 6'3 without shoes on, Type Double A according to my coaches and definitely an extrovert. In exchange for my friend playing hoops at my house almost everyday in high school, he asked if he could fish on the dock at my house because the lake is stocked every year with quite a few trout every year. I live on Lake Windward in Alpharetta, GA across from the Golf club of Georgia.

He'd fly fish and I'd use different lures and cast a regular rod and reel he'd set up for me or drop a hook with a worm on it and it was more a test of me seeing how long I couldn't talk or make noise and honor the promise I made to him. Over time I started to like to fish and have learned quite a bit about it and like most things, the more you know about it, the more interesting it is.

That same guy is my 3rd closest friend now and one of my current apartment-mates at Georgia Tech.

ETA: the area you fish looks like it's near Buford which I'm fairly familiar with. And Alpharetta is in northern Fulton county Georgia.

View attachment 605202

This is the biggest fish I've ever caught and I completely mangled the fish trying to get the hook out. Haha = not exactly fish waders and a big rainbow trout.

The only reason I was fishing that day is because my 6'11" friend asked me too: I used to have to beg him to come to my house to play hoops at my house because he's huge and a pretty good defender or someone for me to practice shooting over. During covid, we'd play 2 on 2 nearly everyday.

He's also a total wall flower, really quiet, Type B personality and a gentle giant. Meanwhile, I'm 6'3 without shoes on, Type Double A according to my coaches and definitely an extrovert. In exchange for my friend playing hoops at my house almost everyday in high school, he asked if he could fish on the dock at my house because the lake is stocked every year with quite a few trout every year. I live on Lake Windward in Alpharetta, GA across from the Golf club of Georgia.

He'd fly fish and I'd use different lures and cast a regular rod and reel he'd set up for me or drop a hook with a worm on it and it was more a test of me seeing how long I couldn't talk or make noise and honor the promise I made to him. Over time I started to like to fish and have learned quite a bit about it and like most things, the more you know about it, the more interesting it is.

That same guy is my 3rd closest friend now and one of my current apartment-mates at Georgia Tech.

ETA: the area you fish looks like it's near Buford which I'm fairly familiar with. And Alpharetta is in northern Fulton county Georgia.
First, don't worry about what anyone says about any fish you catch. I'll still yell like a little girl catching a bluegill 🤣. Second, traffic sucks in your area 🤣. We go to Cumming every week, then her kidney Dr in Alpharetta every six weeks.

First, don't worry about what anyone says about any fish you catch. I'll still yell like a little girl catching a bluegill 🤣. Second, traffic sucks in your area 🤣. We go to Cumming every week, then her kidney Dr in Alpharetta every six weeks.

Totally teasing you: You're causing the traffic !

IDK, I'm immune to the traffic and go to GA, Tech, so I don't even view Alpharetta or Cumming for that matter to have that much traffic. Downtown Atlanta can test my patience, but even that I'll tell myself, "well, no one would be here if it sucked".

When I travel to less crowded places, I realize how much traffic I've grown accustomed to. I also realize, most people have your view, not mine. I grew up in it, so for me, it's "my normal". Also, it's much easier to go north and south around North Georgia tand the suburbs of Atlanta han it is going east and west. I totally get annoyed going to Braves games and I'd definitely go to more than the 5-8 games per year if there wasn't so much traffic.

I was really irked when the Braves moved to Marietta, Ga because I thought, as a GT student, the Braves would be really close to where I went to school. On the flip side, the Braves were completely unreasonable about what the they thought Fulton county should be providing them...

I hope your wife's condition isn't too serious, but I'm going to guess it is otherwise you wouldn't be traveling so far to get to a place with a lot of traffic that you don't like. COVID ruined our neighbor's kidneys and has ruined his quality of life and overall outlook on life. I hope your wife's prognosis is better than his.

Last edited:
Totally teasing you: You're causing the traffic !

IDK, I'm immune to the traffic and go to GA, Tech, so I don't even view Alpharetta or Cumming for that matter to have that much traffic. Downtown Atlanta can test my patience, but even that I'll tell myself, "well, no one would be here if it sucked".

I only really realize how much traffic there is when I travel to less crowded places. I also realize, most people have your view, not mine. I grew up in it, so for me, it's "my normal". Also, it's much easier to go north and south than it is east and west. I totally get annoyed going to Braves games and I'd definitely go to more than the 5-6 games per year if there wasn't so much traffic.

I was really irked when the Braves moved to marietta, ga because I "thought" as a GT student, the braves would be really close to where I went to school. On the flip side, the Braves were completely unreasonable about what the they thought Fulton county should be providing them...

I hope your wife's condition isn't too serious, but I'm going to guess it is otherwise you wouldn't be traveling so far to get to a place with a lot of traffic that you don't like. Covid ruined our neighbor's kidneys and has ruined his quality of life and overall outlook on life. I hope your wife's prognosis is better than his.
I've known a few others who grew up in those areas with heavy traffic, and they don't think about it like you. Thanks for your concern about my wife, unfortunately it's not really good. She lost her bladder several years ago, and nothing but kidney infection since. Pretty much lives on IV treatment, but we're on the verge of going to California. They're going to try to give her a bladder again, she'll be the first ever bladder transplant. She was the top candidate, because they don't have to remove her bladder, she doesn't have one. We're praying that this fixes everything, they're certain it will, so we're hopeful.

I've known a few others who grew up in those areas with heavy traffic, and they don't think about it like you. Thanks for your concern about my wife, unfortunately it's not really good. She lost her bladder several years ago, and nothing but kidney infection since. Pretty much lives on IV treatment, but we're on the verge of going to California. They're going to try to give her a bladder again, she'll be the first ever bladder transplant. She was the top candidate, because they don't have to remove her bladder, she doesn't have one. We're praying that this fixes everything, they're certain it will, so we're hopeful.

I'm glad that there is a path to making your wife whole again and hope that neither of you or your wife, haven't lost hope. Is the transplant something that is scheduled or is the procedure based on organ availability and there being a near perfect match and you'll have to fly out to California on short notice?

I'm glad that there is a path to making your wife whole again and hope that neither of you or your wife, haven't lost hope. Is the transplant something that is scheduled or is the procedure based on organ availability and there being a near perfect match and you'll have to fly out to California on short notice?
Not with this one, since it's going to be the first one ever for a bladder. The Dr said they're the number one spot in the US for organ harvesting, so no matter her blood type, he'd have one when he put the call out. We'll go out like a week prior to prep, and when they're ready he said he'd put the word out he needs a bladder. I hate that it'll happen at the expense of someone else losing their life, but that's why I'm a donor, I won't need my stuff when I'm gone.

Not with this one, since it's going to be the first one ever for a bladder. The Dr said they're the number one spot in the US for organ harvesting, so no matter her blood type, he'd have one when he put the call out. We'll go out like a week prior to prep, and when they're ready he said he'd put the word out he needs a bladder. I hate that it'll happen at the expense of someone else losing their life, but that's why I'm a donor, I won't need my stuff when I'm gone.
Not to be pedantic, but I'd more look at it as your wife is the benefit of circumstance., but organ donation does cost the donor anything so it's not at their expense at all. As a donor, I view it as practical gift of something I don't need any more. If anything, the donor's family will like feel better about their family member being thoughtful and that something good would come out of an accident or suicide or whatever caused their family member to die.

I'd guess the real hold up is that so many people in our country are addicted to drugs and that even though they became organ donor's, drug use negates their ability to actually donate their organs. I'd like to believe your wife wouldn't be given a bladder from someone who drank a lot, smoked or was ever addicted to anything.

The last fish that I caught were redfish from Waverly creek in the Satilla river delta. I am overdue. In the coming year, I’ll get a trout stamp with my fishing license. 👍🏼

Not to be pedantic, but I'd more look at it as your wife is the benefit of circumstance., but organ donation does cost the donor anything so it's not at their expense at all. As a donor, I view it as practical gift of something I don't need any more. If anything, the donor's family will like feel better about their family member being thoughtful and that something good would come out of an accident or suicide or whatever caused their family member to die.

I'd guess the real hold up is that so many people in our country are addicted to drugs and that even though they became organ donor's, drug use negates their ability to actually donate their organs. I'd like to believe your wife wouldn't be given a bladder from someone who drank a lot, smoked or was ever addicted to anything.
Not to get off topic. But I watched a documentary about this recently. Also had a friend who, before medical school, worked post-mortem in organ recovery.

Watch out for the pessimism.

I would say, top down, like most everything its a **** show. Little funding, inadequate resources, with the extremely wealthy having a leg up on others.

Yes, we have a system. Which is better than some Countries. But that system needs massive overhaul. There are some real needs in this Country for some folks.

Perhaps we could reallocate dollars from Sinaloa by legalizing certain medicinal 'narcotics.' And give pump some money back into the Economy. Average cost of Federal incarceration PER YR is over $40K. You tell me a better solution for someone who was convicted of being a violent criminal, bc they had marijuana and gun?

Putting them to work in a hemp factory with benefits, which benefits local ecnonony - gives US Mil a much needed product, keeps jobs home, and gives that person a feeling of contributing? What about medicinal uses, ie chemotherapy, those with chronic pain?

Lock that person up? continue to give Narcos control and influence even at border? And cost taxpayers millions anually?

Stephen Covey would be thrilled, sounds as Win Win as one could imagine?

Use that revenue to overhaul the dadgum Donor industry. Seems just that easy.

Reactions: joevol33
Brown, Rainbows, Brook, and a Redhorse same day on the same stream in NC.

Attachments

• received_234193776160595.jpeg
    received_234193776160595.jpeg
    353.7 KB · Views: 11
  • received_326376433453387.jpeg
    received_326376433453387.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Picsart_23-12-27_16-32-14-404.jpg
    Picsart_23-12-27_16-32-14-404.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Picsart_23-12-27_16-31-54-744.jpg
    Picsart_23-12-27_16-31-54-744.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 11
Here are a few from a trip I recently made to Bimini. Left Miami in fairly rough seas and took about 3 hours to get to Bimini - then fished and lobstered for 3 days. Tons of yellowtail, Strawberry grouper and hit some schools of dolphin. If you've never eaten Strawberry Grouper, it's probably my favorite fish. Light and has a bit of sweetness to it. Absolutely delicious - especially eating within hours of catching.

Great trip!

Attachments

• Amberjack - Bimini.jpg
    Amberjack - Bimini.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Mahi.jpg
    Mahi.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 12
  • Cooler of Fish.jpg
    Cooler of Fish.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 12
Here are a few from a trip I recently made to Bimini. Left Miami in fairly rough seas and took about 3 hours to get to Bimini - then fished and lobstered for 3 days. Tons of yellowtail, Strawberry grouper and hit some schools of dolphin. If you've never eaten Strawberry Grouper, it's probably my favorite fish. Light and has a bit of sweetness to it. Absolutely delicious - especially eating within hours of catching.

Great trip!
Grouper is THE best eating fish. Groupee sandwich is amazing.

Great trip!
Absolutely awesome

Reactions: jps2194
Grouper is fantastic.

However, Reds are my personal fav. Blackened redfish is superb.

Pompano, Snapper, and Orange roughy also score very high.

Ate Jaw of Tuna in the Philipines several times (halibut cheeks would be a visual comparison bone in). It was mind blowing and nothing like the rest of the tuna. Of course the entire half jaw was on a skewer and grilled over coconut hulls on the side walk. That could have lended to the fantastic flavor.

The whole head of a bluefin tuna is a very expensive delicacy in Japan.

VN Store

Back