First Vols Coach in 25 years

I think it was in the late 60s that UT gave the Bear his first back to back losses and was the 1st to beat him 2 years in a row. One of the defensive backs made 2 interceptions during the game which was on the player's birthday.

Only if your talking about the Bear at Alabama. Neyland beat him consistently at Kentucky.

Only if your talking about the Bear at Alabama. Neyland beat him consistently at Kentucky.

You are correct, sir. The Bear never beat the General. I was concentrating too hard on remembering thedetails of the game I saw.

This thread is great. Phil beat him in two of his last three years and was fired for losing to him. Kiffin and Jones beat him in their first attempt. Dooley is the only Tennessee coach not to beat him or have a winning record against him while he has been at SC.

Dam, I lose again. Wtf majors and Fulmer.

Majors did it twice, in 1977 and 1988.

I stand corrected on Fulmer. UT played and beat Miss. St. in 2008 before they played Bama. For some reason I thought the Miss St. game was after Bama that season.

You are correct, sir. The Bear never beat the General. I was concentrating too hard on remembering thedetails of the game I saw.

Just did a little research. Turns out the Vols beat the Bear in 1957 and 1958 ('57 he was at Texas A&M, '58 at Alabama. They tied in '59, then the Vols won again in 1960. By 1961, Bryant had Alabama back (notice, it took him 4 years), and the Vols didn't win again until 1967. Dickey had taken over in '64, and it took him that long to bring the Vols back.

Majors did it twice, in 1977 and 1988.

I stand corrected on Fulmer. UT played and beat Miss. St. in 2008 before they played Bama. For some reason I thought the Miss St. game was after Bama that season.

Yeah I remember 88, that started off badly. Then 89 started a string of about 17 straight bowl appearances, oh the good old days.

Reactions: 1 person
Interesting how the team regressed the further away from Phil we got.

Imagine the last five years, the weakest the SECE has ever been, with Tajh and Bryce leading the Vols.

I try not to. Too depressing.

C'mon Butch. Time for a five game win streak and put the spectre of losing to Muschamp (twice) behind us.

Bryce was here due to Kiffin and Money.

Just did a little research. Turns out the Vols beat the Bear in 1957 and 1958 ('57 he was at Texas A&M, '58 at Alabama. They tied in '59, then the Vols won again in 1960. By 1961, Bryant had Alabama back (notice, it took him 4 years), and the Vols didn't win again until 1967. Dickey had taken over in '64, and it took him that long to bring the Vols back.

Eh...slight correction on Dickey. He actually had us "back" by his 2nd season in '65. Tennessee tied Alabama that year in one of their many shaky championship claim years and went 8-1-2 for the season with the only loss being by one point at Ole Miss. The improvement UT showed from '64-'65 was remarkable. Say what you want about Dickey as an AD, the man coached some darn good football at UT in the 60's.

I seriously think you should have to take a short quiz to get on VN. I haven't been on here too long yet but I realized immediately theres way too many people saying some of the most ridiculous and dramatic things when they have absolutely NO CLUE what a site like this is actually for. There really should be a negavol nation site for the coat tail riders.

I don't know about a short quiz but a mandatory 100 hours of Jerry Springer along with a course in Is god real or not. What ever you do, remember, Coaching is so easy a caveman can do it.

VN Store

Back