First time in Athens

went in 98 and had a great time. Parked our rented RV at a bank near everything and didn't realize it was next to a huge UGA RV lot. Woke up surrounded but actually had a blast eating their food and drinking their alcohol. Made a lot of bets for after the game but when we returned there was no one left. The bars weren't very fun at closing time as they did no last call they just took the drinks from our hands and kicked us out.

I posted this in the roll call thread but I feel it belongs here as well:

Hey Vols,

Dawg fan here just wanna help out some Athens virgins and help y'all enjoy your experience in the classic city.

Parking: parking is free at the intramural fields off of River Road on the east side of campus. You can park and a bus will shuttle you to the stadium. If you would rather park somewhere closer there are pay lots all over campus but you have to get there extremely early.

Food: Your best bet will be downtown which is right off of the north side of campus. There's tons of restaurants to walk to. If you're not downtown I recommend Cali n Titos (AWESOME Cuban food) off of Lumpkin, Blind Pig Tavern off of Jackson St., Keba is a cool sandwich place off Barnett Shoals. If you're looking for a good Friday night dinner spot Last Resort Grill is the best restaurant in Athens IMO (Clayton Street downtown), the Globe is a pub style place with great beer an awesome burgers (College Ave downtown), Porterhouse awesome steaks (downtown), Shokitini (sushi downtown), Capital Room upscale bar food(Washington St. Downtown), Dapalmas awesome Italian (Broad st. Downtown)

Bars: for gameday only a few bars will be open before the game. Magnolias is usual open by noon on gamedays, the globe (mentioned above) should be open. I you can't find a ticket I'd go to one of these to watch the game as well as the Georgia theater (haven't been but I've heard it's an awesome place to watch the game, great concert venue).
Night: if you're in college these are the bars you need to hit: General's (Dixieland sweet tea ftw), bourbon st. (Freshmen bar), city bar, blue sky, bar code, magnolias, silver dollar, boars head, jr's baitshack, on the rocks, whiskey bent, moonshine, sandbar, and that's all I can think of at the moment. Ill come back and update when I think of more.

If you're older and just want to have a few drinks without drunk sophomores then I'd hit up Allgoods (young professional crowd), Genkos (same as Allgoods), the Globe, Capital Room, Hotel indigo bar, walkers pub, treppenhuas, and for Friday afternoon around 5:30 Terrapin Beer Co. a great place to be. $10 gets you a nice beer glass and about 4 beers worth of tickets where you get to choose from about 5 house brews. Big open area with live music, corn hole, frisbee, etc.. Open til 7:30.

If y'all have any more questions just let me know. Good luck and safe travels, Vols!
[1]
Edit

There are no virgins in athens... I helped out on that one... :dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2:

UGA fans are some of the most obnoxious fans you'll ever encounter. I'll be there with you though! In my orange pants :) GBO! BEAT THE HELL OUT OF GEORGIA!!

Was there two years ago, was being taunted by a UGA fan sitting behind me. He decided that when I wasn't responding to him that he would throw the rest of his beer on me, I then in turn, nailed him with my no napkin spit cup. Needless to say, the bastard left. **** UGA, GBO.

Duck...

I was there in 2002. I had full beer cans thrown at my car (while I was driving it), and after the game, a group of about 8 guys try to pick a fight with me and two of my buddies.
Don't understand stupid UGA fans. Why would they start crap when they killed us that year? If I ever go back I will have more than one person with me.

Whatever you do......don't wear that a "Fear the Pants" t-shirt.......because no one in the SEC fears those orange pants.

4ee353e4dff371698f750c5c158e50bc236bb55_r.png

Their fans are not as bad as the Gastor and LSU and Auburn people. I was there once and we didnt have any trouble. Of course, that was 20 years ago.

They're a surly bunch. If they win, they'll taunt you. If they lose, they'll want to fight.

This times 1000. Before the game in 2006, they were mostly great, except for the college-age guys. Several of their fans were buying us beers. Afterwards, I was getting cussed like a dog. Some guy was even trying to start a fight with me as I was peeing in a urinal with my back to him. Pure class.

Reactions: 1 person
Just ignore all the grown men barking at you, and you'll be fine. I've been down there twice and had a good trip both times with no problems at all (other than UT getting beat).

Don't be surprised if a UGA fan you don't know just walks up and calls you a homophobic slur. They think starting fights with strangers is perfectly acceptable and even cool.

beware of the urine bombs. they'll throw at you

Not trying to sound like a "tuff" guy on a message board, but I'd end up in the Athens jail or the hospital if I got hit with a urine bomb....That's BS

Been to Athens once, in '04, and was warned of all the bad stuff that would happen, especially if we won. None of it came to fruition. Outside of the Bama game in '05 it's the best away game I've experienced. Was treated extremely well before and after. Also went to the Cocktail Party in '08 and never saw them act belligerent after losing that game. Mostly cussing their own team and CMR both times. They'll bark non-stop which is annoying but not harassing in my opinion.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back